WHU U23s

Chat about anything football related here!
JRS

WHU U23s

Post by JRS »

I thought we faired well Vs Leicester. Imo we would of won if they didn't have Gray, Slimani & Pereira in the squad. I think it's a little unfair to have players with 100+ top flight experience in there (not the reserves anymore), yes I get want to get them back In form. But sitting bottom a win would of been huge for is & Gray scored both goals. Longelo who has looked really good came close to equalisng. Baptiste 16 Kai 18 Chester 18 Kamarai Simon-Swyer 17 Longelo 19...
Most Teenagers against & think without Gray we could of won & being 6 points off Southampton in 11th would of been huge for us & confidence.

Whiskyman

Re: WHU U23s

Post by Whiskyman »

If Leicester had a few first teamers in their squad the lads in our team would have gained a lot more benefit than they would by fannying around against the normal opposition in the Under 23 league. What young players need is to come up against proper professionals in games.

When clubs had reserve teams this often happened with an assortment of kids plus a few first teames coming back from injury or just out of the side. In my younger days I was good enough to be picked 5 times to play in the old football combination where I came up against players who had played hundreds of games in the old first division. I quickly learned from those experiences that although I was good enough to be picked for the "stiffs" a professional career was totally out of the question.

If I'd been playing in today's game I'd probably have been good enough to fanny around in the Under 23's until I was , well, 23, and still be fooling myself that I was good enough to make the grade. Any decent young player should be out on loan playing proper competitive football learning the game. Or better still playing for his parent club's B team in a proper competitive league like clubs in Spain, Germany and probably elsewhere do.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

only1salty

Post by only1salty »

Don't agree with B Teams Whisky. All that does, especially with the Premier League money, is turn the championship into a reserve league.

The championship is different to Serie B or La Liga 2.

The championship is the 3rd most watched league in Europe. Its receives more attendance than La Liga or Serie A. Man City B team and Chelsea B team would be challenging for the title every season and you would probably end up with less than 10 real teams in it.

It stands alone as it is.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

only1salty wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:13 am Don't agree with B Teams Whisky. All that does, especially with the Premier League money, is turn the championship into a reserve league.

The championship is the 3rd most watched league in Europe. Its receives more attendance than La Liga or Serie A. Man City B team and Chelsea B team would be challenging for the title every season and you would probably end up with less than 10 real teams in it.

Valid points of course, although the assumption that B teams would all end up in the Championship is, I think, a little optimistic, bearing in mind that players from the first team squads are not eligible for the B teams. At least not in Spain or Germany. The B teams would pretty much be the same composition of the current Under 23 squads I would imagine and from the, admittedly limited, times I've watched Under 23 games they would probably be in the National League or maybe League Two. Your points about "real teams" still apply of course but, in the absence of a reserve league, which the old football combination was, there isn't really a means, other than loaning players out, for promising kids to gain experience of proper football. By which I mean gaining experience against more experienced players. The old reserve teams were often a combination of promising kids, out of favour senior players and often top stars coming back after a lay off.

And the drawback of the loan system is that the parent club loses a lot of control over the player's development and well being.

thomasswe

Post by thomasswe »

only1salty wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:13 am Don't agree with B Teams Whisky. All that does, especially with the Premier League money, is turn the championship into a reserve league.

This. Its not good for the smaller clubs. Having been involved in playoff matches from 5th to 4th tier against "reserve" teams of the equivalent of league 1 teams fielding several first teamers to secure them winning.. its nowhere fair. It delayed promotion for 2 years until we evetually won our league.

And if the argument is development.. a loan to a lower toer should be far more beneficial and also should development for the top teams happen at the expense of smaller clubs?

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

thomasswe wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:44 pm

This. Its not good for the smaller clubs. Having been involved in playoff matches from 5th to 4th tier against "reserve" teams of the equivalent of league 1 teams fielding several first teamers to secure them winning.. its nowhere fair. It delayed promotion for 2 years until we evetually won our league.

And if the argument is development.. a loan to a lower toer should be far more beneficial and also should development for the top teams happen at the expense of smaller clubs?
Problem with loans though Thomas is that the parent club can't really monitor the players development properly. Nor can they decide , for example, how many minutes he actually gets on the pitch.

And, at least in Germany and Spain, players can't be parachuted in from the A team to the B team. A player can de moved from the B to A team to play, but not the other way round.