Blunt C**ts v West Ham official match thread

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

Re: Blunt C**ts v West Ham official match thread

Post by Whiskyman »

Clayton wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:41 am
Flairon wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:54 am

I have to disagree. I am not suggesting that we played well, just that last season we would have lost a game like that.

We do seem to be playing to the level of our competition of late.
We more then likely would have lost that game in any other season actually we have many times , the last to score a winning goal at their place was Hurst , so it was some time ago .
Another thing they could have been two up before we even got going , and they had chances throughout the match , but like us on many occasions luck was not with them on the day .
As far as playing to the level of the competition I think I have to disagree there , I see it as the opposition coming up against a solid defensive 11 man team who all know their place within it , and are fit enough to carry it out . Where it likely changes for us is how defensive the opposition are and what their attacking mindset is ( actually think we do better against the more attacking sides especially with Antonio in Moyes setup , rather then teams that do not over commit ) .
I have to disagree about the luck issue. I don't think Sheffield were unlucky, just as I didn't think we were against Arsenal. If you don't take your chances you don't win. It really is as simple as that. And we spurned chances as well, did we not ? Soucek's miss was probably even more glaring than McBurnie's effort that hit the bar. Haller missed an easier chance than the one he scored from and Rice's header against the bar really should have been put away.

As I and many others have said before we do play better against the more adventurous sides because of the way we are set up. And imo we have to play that way because we only have one player, Fornals, who can identify and create opportunities with the so called "killer balls". Maybe in time we will evolve but we need more creativity to be able to do that effectively.

Or upcoming fixtures should give us a better indication of where we stand in the pecking order. I was certainly apprehensive about our opening fixture run but, apart from the easiest game on paper, Newcastle, ending in defeat we have acquitted ourselves well against the so called big clubs. We were crap against Fulham and average yesterday but still managed 6 points which is satisfying. Our next 3 are against clubs currently round about our level, Villa, Man United and Leeds. Let's see where we are after those 3.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

palerider

Post by palerider »

mkhammer wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:11 pm
Brookbonds73 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:52 pm Sean bean's reached Watford.

Making good time...saw him at Newport Pagnell Services....couple hours ago......

Surprising how fast those whippets can pull a sled..... :lol:
:lol:

Even with fat sweaty northerners hanging out of their arses.

Ibbyham

Post by Ibbyham »

Have you notice numbskully hasn't put any negative comment and he seemed to have vanished into thin air. Long may that continue to give us a rest from his annoyance antics.
"I am always correct", but "if I am wrong", please refer to the first phrase.

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

Whiskyman wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:58 am
Clayton wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:41 am

We more then likely would have lost that game in any other season actually we have many times , the last to score a winning goal at their place was Hurst , so it was some time ago .
Another thing they could have been two up before we even got going , and they had chances throughout the match , but like us on many occasions luck was not with them on the day .
As far as playing to the level of the competition I think I have to disagree there , I see it as the opposition coming up against a solid defensive 11 man team who all know their place within it , and are fit enough to carry it out . Where it likely changes for us is how defensive the opposition are and what their attacking mindset is ( actually think we do better against the more attacking sides especially with Antonio in Moyes setup , rather then teams that do not over commit ) .
I have to disagree about the luck issue. I don't think Sheffield were unlucky, just as I didn't think we were against Arsenal. If you don't take your chances you don't win. It really is as simple as that. And we spurned chances as well, did we not ? Soucek's miss was probably even more glaring than McBurnie's effort that hit the bar. Haller missed an easier chance than the one he scored from and Rice's header against the bar really should have been put away.

As I and many others have said before we do play better against the more adventurous sides because of the way we are set up. And imo we have to play that way because we only have one player, Fornals, who can identify and create opportunities with the so called "killer balls". Maybe in time we will evolve but we need more creativity to be able to do that effectively.

Or upcoming fixtures should give us a better indication of where we stand in the pecking order. I was certainly apprehensive about our opening fixture run but, apart from the easiest game on paper, Newcastle, ending in defeat we have acquitted ourselves well against the so called big clubs. We were crap against Fulham and average yesterday but still managed 6 points which is satisfying. Our next 3 are against clubs currently round about our level, Villa, Man United and Leeds. Let's see where we are after those 3.
Luck or taking your chances to me is one and the same thing , you can call it what you like , were we lucky against Fulham or was it just that they took a very poor penalty that got us a win instead of a draw .
A point you brought up about Fornals and why he may be preferred " because he can identify and create opportunities with the so called "killer balls" , and in time we may well evolve, but we need more creativity to be able to do that effectivity " .
How do you think we can evolve ? What type of players and in what positions could you see making this happen ? .

thomasswe

Post by thomasswe »

Clayton wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:17 am

Luck or taking your chances to me is one and the same thing , you can call it what you like , were we lucky against Fulham or was it just that they took a very poor penalty that got us a win instead of a draw .
A point you brought up about Fornals and why he may be preferred " because he can identify and create opportunities with the so called "killer balls" , and in time we may well evolve, but we need more creativity to be able to do that effectivity " .
How do you think we can evolve ? What type of players and in what positions could you see making this happen ? .
Id say we were ublucky bot to be 3-0 up early against Fulham, our game devolved when we failed to score (it shouldnt but it did). Had some of the earlier chances gone in Fulhame wouldnt even have been close to a point, penalty or not. Same against the blunts.. Soucec should probably score from Hallers setup, Rice his the bar and Haller should probably have had another. Even if blunts hit the bar at one point the game could just as easily habe ended 4-1.

Against Wolves and Leicester our chances ended up in the net.

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

hd1 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:48 pm
mkhammer wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:27 pm He's pissed me off don't worry...treatment of Anderson was terrible...giving him a minute here and there...
some off his substitutions have left me cursing....but whatever he is doing is slowly working,we cant deny that.

Anyway,think we're OK to watch...some nice stuff at times.
I have another take on Anderson. I think Moyes thought he wasn't putting in the effort on the training pitch when clearly most of the others were. I think putting him on the subs bench was a warning which he didn't heed, so he got shipped out. A clear message to everyone else. Look at the way Lanzini has reacted and the effort he's putting in now.
Seem to remember he got a knock HD..got booted up in the air,came down on ribs,done some damage somewhere,
missed 3/4 games,lost his place,not quite firing when got back in,we weren't on it having a poor run...as usual,all
started from there ..the Scapegoating....was running his socks off for the team,but nothing effective going forward
admittedly....but who was ...
He likes us.Likes the Club...you can tell...gotta a fuckin good player there,who we are screwing up...
Sorry but Fornals is just not as good as him...
Not having a dig at Fornals....like him...but not a proven starter for me just yet.

Bit Similar to Lanzini...another bloody good player,we can't get the best out off...

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

Whiskyman wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:32 am
palerider wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:27 am

Yep.

For the sake of an extra 8 days a good decision. The whippet shaggers have been found out and offer little other than petty thuggery these days so the presence of the big bloke up front gave us an outlet and he did well.

As for Benrahma, again, the same applies. If we'd have been 3 up as we should have been a 15 minute cameo would have been on the cards but it wasn't to be.

I think both will feature at some stage against Villa.
Actually I hope neither will tbh. At least in a significant way. Because it will mean we are picking up 3 more points. Don't change a winning team and all that. ;)

And Haller's performance yesterday certainly warrants another appearance imo. In an ideal world I would like to see him paired with Antonio. The last time that happened was at home against Southampton and it worked very well. Problem is who would be left out to accommodate that formation ? Either Masuaku or Bowen I guess but they're both doing OK at the moment.
If we go back to a flat 4 and to get Haller in...I'd do this..

Coufal-Balbeuna-Oggy-Arthur Cresswell..... :lol: take yer pick...even be happy with Ben J there.
Rice-Lanzini-Soucek.
Bowen-Haller-Mickey..
That for the "Weaker Teams" keep the 3/5 when the tougher games come along.if that works well (4-3-3) tho ,would put it out
against anyone.
Centre MF Playmaker spot obviously up for grabs....BenRam Hopefully..then Fornals...find it hard to get Fornals into my
starting 11 good as he is.

But then again I'd have Anderson back in there......so what do I know.... :lol:

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Clayton wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:17 am

Obviously our evolution depends in very large part to two things. Moyes views and those of his staff on the type of players we need and of course the amount that will be available to them to try and secure the services of those players.

I suppose we would all have different ideas about the sort of players we need to improve. If it was my decision I would be looking to bring in extra pace as I feel we can be a bit pedestrian at times. But of course identifying the players you want and having the necessary funds or persuading them to join the club are two different things entirely.

And I will add that I don't subscribe to the "oh but we must play entertaining football" nonsense we hear occasionally. Most people equate goals and goalmouth incidents as entertaining and adding that to our record of four wins so far this season I don't think we should have too many complaints about what we've been watching.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

BCHammer

Post by BCHammer »

Whiskyman wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:13 am
BCHammer wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:37 pm I just couldn't wake up early enough to watch this on my day off.

But does this prove that Benrahma was a Sullivan signing?

And did Antonio get a slap for spouting off on social media?

Very happy for Haller, I hope he can push on.

I'm still not quite sure what to think about Moyes, but we have 6 pts from two games which old West Ham would no way would have, so I'm happy with that.
Don't think it's conspiracy theory time just yet tbh. I'm guessing Antonio was left out because it wasn't felt sensible to risk him just yet. And benrahma wasn't picked because Moyes didn't want to change a winning side. But tbh I don't see where Benrahma is going to fit in in the present formation.

Someone will get injured in due course , he'll get his chance, then it'll be up to him to make himself undroppable.
I think Benrahma cant get in all the while we need two players to do the job of one at LB/LWB. As I said I couldn't watch this game, but I fail to see the rave reviews Masuaku gets and I feel Benrahma will provide far more end product than he does on the attacking side of things, we just need a solid defender back there so we can go to a back 4. Time to call Slavia again...

Shortshanks

Post by Shortshanks »

Fulham/ Sheff Utd : 18 matches played 5 points gained. 22 goals conceded. And some of you think we have done well to win both games 1-0 or even suggest we usually lose against such woeful opposition.