What do we need in January & summer 21?

Chat about anything football related here!
BCHammer

What do we need in January & summer 21?

Post by BCHammer »

Things are going quite well at the moment, Moyes and his staff are doing are decent job and we are probably 5 pts better off - with a positive GD - than where we thought we would be after the fixture list we have had. Many have said the real test is going to be around the non top 8 teams and that has always been our problem. Our current system has worked wonders against those top teams, but not so much against Fulham.

I don't want to be negative in what has been the most positive period on the pitch for a while, but I can't help but feel that Moyes plan is so one dimensional centering on Antonio and we have too many areas where there are band aid fixes which are working now, but ultimately need fixing. The current threads on Cresswell and Coufal are cases in point. In making things work, it is creating a deficiency elsewhere and as soon as one cog in the system is removed, it struggles to work.

We know all about GSB and stripping the squad, but what positions need filling the most urgently this January and what realistic targets should we be looking to get in next summer? Lets assume Moyes is going to stay and the a strategy is based on how he plays and the existing players we have to build around and times will continue to be tough with less than 50m to spend.

For me, being so reliant on Antonio is a big problem. I love the man, but we have to accept he is going to be out regularly and is the wrong side of 30. Do we go all out to find a replacement if that is the master plan? I can't think of anyone, not that I know the European leagues very well, but Josh King is not the answer as a like for like replacement.

If not, do we try and make good on the 45m man? Is it as simple as finding someone who can cross a ball? Do we have that in Benrahma? Whatever, we can't go through life with one recognized striker and we need to sign one in January, not a big reputation guy, but someone who can replace Antonio as much as possible. I would look long term, so maybe someone younger rather than the usual mercenary. There has to be a Drogba junior out there somewhere... maybe someone like Dimata from Anderlecht.

Which leads to Cresswell & Masuaku. IMO they are 2 players who do the job of 1. We say we can't get a Robertson or Chilwell, but let's remember one came from relegated Hull and the other through the Leicester academy long before they were good. Cress has had a great resurgence but again he is almost 31 and he is never going to run the wing like he did in the Boleyn season. I don't get the Arthur hype, so inconsistent and his crossing and end product is too often far too poor. But they compliment each other and it is working for now, but forces the back 5. Arthur is not good enough to be a LWB so as not to need Cress there, but I feel without Arthur we get exposed on that left again. So by "needing" those two and by default a back 5, there is no room for Benrahma to play in his proper position as LW with Arthur in his way. Of course it seems no one thought about that when committing to 30m on him... but it frees up a place in the starting XI that can be for an attacking player by replacing 2 players with 1 if we can go to a back 4 (which will also be better for Coufal). So long story short, it seems that if we want to play Benrahma ie winger instead of LWB we replace both Cress & Arthur with a new LB. That can probably wait to the summer if Benrahma is prepared to be a sub for this season.

Coufal should be a stop gap and good value for money, but if we are playing 5 at the back, he is not a RWB. Fredericks can't stay fit enough. Decent understudy, can we get by until Johnson or Ashby are ready? Will Moyes gamble they ever will be? By fixing the LB allowing a back 4 means Coufal will fit in better. The current system also blunts Bowen as he gets tied up defensively, he needs to be free to be an out and out winger.

Moyes #1 target is a CB and I am not too sure how we badly we need one right now. Oggy is one of the best though he is aging, Balbuena has been on the high side of average, Diop is decent enough for cover. Reid is coming back in January anyway. Dawson is there for now and the academy looks really promising, Rice can drop back there, I am not really sure why this is a priority at the present time. We need to replace Reid & Dawson but I think we have that in the academy. I don't think we need a Tarkowski level signing until it is time to replace Oggy (by which time it won't be Tarko).

Soucek has been a great addition. He has his limitations, but he is a starter at the moment. But if he or Rice are injured, we are so screwed, this needs to be addressed in January. Who do we get? Norgaard from Brentford maybe.

Fabianski has been a good servant, he deserved his HOTY 2 years ago, but he is 35 1/2, he has let in a couple of soft ones recently, his distribution is poor and I think he has had one injury too many. He will be fine to complete this season, but I do think this is a priority for the summer. Assuming our own youngsters are not ready, I would go all out for Areola, spent so much time out on loan, should be easily gettable IMO.

So January, Antonio cover / long term replacement & CM cover

Summer - GK, LB & further striker & CM cover.

OZHAMMER

Re: What do we need in January & summer 21?

Post by OZHAMMER »

A vaccine and some sunscreen.

Towie

Post by Towie »

Jan- pubs open normal hours
Summer 21 - a proper holiday.
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

palerider

Post by palerider »

January, Josh King and a new keeper.

Czech maybe ? The guy Geo is referring to is Ondrej Kolar. I think he's quite useful and wouldn't cost the earth.

Summer. Depends where we finish. Obviously we take the Benrahma fee into consideration unless the dwarf tries to wriggle out of it my saying he's suffering from dengue fever.

JayK

Post by JayK »

BCHammer wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:43 pm Things are going quite well at the moment, Moyes and his staff are doing are decent job and we are probably 5 pts better off - with a positive GD - than where we thought we would be after the fixture list we have had. Many have said the real test is going to be around the non top 8 teams and that has always been our problem. Our current system has worked wonders against those top teams, but not so much against Fulham.

I don't want to be negative in what has been the most positive period on the pitch for a while, but I can't help but feel that Moyes plan is so one dimensional centering on Antonio and we have too many areas where there are band aid fixes which are working now, but ultimately need fixing. The current threads on Cresswell and Coufal are cases in point. In making things work, it is creating a deficiency elsewhere and as soon as one cog in the system is removed, it struggles to work.

We know all about GSB and stripping the squad, but what positions need filling the most urgently this January and what realistic targets should we be looking to get in next summer? Lets assume Moyes is going to stay and the a strategy is based on how he plays and the existing players we have to build around and times will continue to be tough with less than 50m to spend.

For me, being so reliant on Antonio is a big problem. I love the man, but we have to accept he is going to be out regularly and is the wrong side of 30. Do we go all out to find a replacement if that is the master plan? I can't think of anyone, not that I know the European leagues very well, but Josh King is not the answer as a like for like replacement.

If not, do we try and make good on the 45m man? Is it as simple as finding someone who can cross a ball? Do we have that in Benrahma? Whatever, we can't go through life with one recognized striker and we need to sign one in January, not a big reputation guy, but someone who can replace Antonio as much as possible. I would look long term, so maybe someone younger rather than the usual mercenary. There has to be a Drogba junior out there somewhere... maybe someone like Dimata from Anderlecht.

Which leads to Cresswell & Masuaku. IMO they are 2 players who do the job of 1. We say we can't get a Robertson or Chilwell, but let's remember one came from relegated Hull and the other through the Leicester academy long before they were good. Cress has had a great resurgence but again he is almost 31 and he is never going to run the wing like he did in the Boleyn season. I don't get the Arthur hype, so inconsistent and his crossing and end product is too often far too poor. But they compliment each other and it is working for now, but forces the back 5. Arthur is not good enough to be a LWB so as not to need Cress there, but I feel without Arthur we get exposed on that left again. So by "needing" those two and by default a back 5, there is no room for Benrahma to play in his proper position as LW with Arthur in his way. Of course it seems no one thought about that when committing to 30m on him... but it frees up a place in the starting XI that can be for an attacking player by replacing 2 players with 1 if we can go to a back 4 (which will also be better for Coufal). So long story short, it seems that if we want to play Benrahma ie winger instead of LWB we replace both Cress & Arthur with a new LB. That can probably wait to the summer if Benrahma is prepared to be a sub for this season.

Coufal should be a stop gap and good value for money, but if we are playing 5 at the back, he is not a RWB. Fredericks can't stay fit enough. Decent understudy, can we get by until Johnson or Ashby are ready? Will Moyes gamble they ever will be? By fixing the LB allowing a back 4 means Coufal will fit in better. The current system also blunts Bowen as he gets tied up defensively, he needs to be free to be an out and out winger.

Moyes #1 target is a CB and I am not too sure how we badly we need one right now. Oggy is one of the best though he is aging, Balbuena has been on the high side of average, Diop is decent enough for cover. Reid is coming back in January anyway. Dawson is there for now and the academy looks really promising, Rice can drop back there, I am not really sure why this is a priority at the present time. We need to replace Reid & Dawson but I think we have that in the academy. I don't think we need a Tarkowski level signing until it is time to replace Oggy (by which time it won't be Tarko).

Soucek has been a great addition. He has his limitations, but he is a starter at the moment. But if he or Rice are injured, we are so screwed, this needs to be addressed in January. Who do we get? Norgaard from Brentford maybe.

Fabianski has been a good servant, he deserved his HOTY 2 years ago, but he is 35 1/2, he has let in a couple of soft ones recently, his distribution is poor and I think he has had one injury too many. He will be fine to complete this season, but I do think this is a priority for the summer. Assuming our own youngsters are not ready, I would go all out for Areola, spent so much time out on loan, should be easily gettable IMO.

So January, Antonio cover / long term replacement & CM cover

Summer - GK, LB & further striker & CM cover.
A well thought out piece that and I agree, all those positions need strengthening. I do think we need another CB if we gonna continue to play 3 at the back. Dawson ain’t it and neither is cresswell
COYI!!!

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

We need players who fall into 2 distinct categories imo.

1. Players who can go straight into the first team because they are better than the current player in a particular position
2. Young players with potential who could "do a job" if needed for a game or two, and who are identified by the staff as players who can improve and become PL standard players.

We do not need , with the utmost respect to the bloke , more like Craig Dawson who could probably do a short term job if needed but who is holding back the development of younger players who could possible get a bit of experience if he wasn't blocking their progress.

And we certainly don't need any more Dwarf expensive vanity projects like Wilshere and Hart.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

palerider

Post by palerider »

What we need most of all is a sick note on big wages permanently on the treatment table. It's in our recent DNA.

And I'm pleased to see we're being linked with Sammi Khedira, 33, who Juventus are trying to unload and who 'would love a move to the Premiership'.

I bet he would.

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

palerider wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:07 am What we need most of all is a sick note on big wages permanently on the treatment table. It's in our recent DNA.

And I'm pleased to see we're being linked with Sammi Khedira, 33, who Juventus are trying to unload and who 'would love a move to the Premiership'.

I bet he would.
He would show the MOTD pundits what a straight red is

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

palerider wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:07 am What we need most of all is a sick note on big wages permanently on the treatment table. It's in our recent DNA.

I bet he would.
Yeah saw that..
Couple reasons if true......Dec is off....or he's happy to come here with a 10mill 2 year contract and be a bench sitter...
Dec aint going nowhere and "hopefully" we're well past being a retirement home...

2/3 years ago would have bitten yer hand off for him....but either way he comes now will be seriously pissed off..

But more crap click bait I think...

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

mkhammer wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:43 am

I bet he would.
Yeah saw that..
Couple reasons if true......Dec is off....or he's happy to come here with a 10mill 2 year contract and be a bench sitter...
Dec aint going nowhere and "hopefully" we're well past being a retirement home...

2/3 years ago would have bitten yer hand off for him....but either way he comes now will be seriously pissed off..

But more crap click bait I think...
Bloody hell I would hope our ceiling would be higher then a 33 year old injury prone has-been if Dec was off .