What’s the point of international football?

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

What’s the point of international football?

Post by Whiskyman »

Right now ? Project fear is rampant and even if the euro Championships take place it’s very doubtful if the fans will be allowed to attend. So why don’t the authorities just called the whole bloody thing off and let domestic leagues continue without the stupid and unnecessary interruption we are seeing at the moment.

And apart from anything else a lot of the players playing for various countries weren’t even born or brought up in those countries anyway. My answer would be to scrap completely bloody international football completely. It now seems to be a total waste of time and effort.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Castiron

Re: What’s the point of international football?

Post by Castiron »

Whiskyman wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:45 pm Right now ? Project fear is rampant and even if the euro Championships take place it’s very doubtful if the fans will be allowed to attend. So why don’t the authorities just called the whole bloody thing off and let domestic leagues continue without the stupid and unnecessary interruption we are seeing at the moment.

And apart from anything else a lot of the players playing for various countries weren’t even born or brought up in those countries anyway. My answer would be to scrap completely bloody international football completely. It now seems to be a total waste of time and effort.
Sponsors, advertisers and TV companies.

Ibbyham

Post by Ibbyham »

Would rather scrap European of Nations as too many competitions and pointless. Now is NOT the good time due to high corona risk and have to pray for all our players to come back unscathed due to our squad so thin.
"I am always correct", but "if I am wrong", please refer to the first phrase.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Castiron wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:04 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:45 pm Right now ? Project fear is rampant and even if the euro Championships take place it’s very doubtful if the fans will be allowed to attend. So why don’t the authorities just called the whole bloody thing off and let domestic leagues continue without the stupid and unnecessary interruption we are seeing at the moment.

Sponsors, advertisers and TV companies.
That’s probably a very good reason. But is it the point.? ;)

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Castiron is right..All about the money.

Whiskyman is right too.The players are knackered.You ain't going to get any quality football over the break.It`s just going to be players going through the motions.What is the point?

Would have been better to scrap the international breaks and the Euros till 2023.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

terrya1965 wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:31 pm Castiron is right..All about the money.

Whiskyman is right too.The players are knackered.You ain't going to get any quality football over the break.It`s just going to be players going through the motions.What is the point?

Would have been better to scrap the international breaks and the Euros till 2023.
If it was down to me Terry I'd scrap the fucking international games completely. International anything has become a load of bollocks with people not born in the country they play for turning out regularly for an adopted country.

Ask most people who the best English cricketer is and a lot would say Ben Stokes----a New Zealander,. Or it night be that Archer bloke---but doesn't he come from somewhere in the West Indies ? Diego Costa, who I think is Brazilian by birth has played for Spain and Miguel Almunia who is Spanish but spent a large part of his career playing in England, said when he was still playing he would like to play for England. And there's a lot more like it. FFS a few years ago the England cricket team had more foreigners playing for it than blokes born in England. Even today I am told the captain, yes the fucking CAPTAIN, of the England biff and bash cricket team is a Paddy.

More recently Sebastian Haller has decided he isn't French any more, he wants to be Ivorian. And if memory serves didn't Wilfred Zaha also decide he wanted to play for the Ivory Coast.?

But that's off the point a bit. Isn't the point about any international tournament in any sport about getting people from different countries in one location and putting on a show ? What in the name of holy fuck is the point of fucking up already overcrowded domestic leagues by suspending them 2 or 3 times mid season so that players can fuck off across the world to play a game in front of a deserted stand ?

The World Cup used to be the big deal. The most prestigious trophy in World football. But I'd be happy to bet that in today's game Liverpool's first team would pulverise England, Bayern Munich would destroy Germany and PSG would probably beat the reigning world champions. So why just we can't do the sensible thing and call the fucking international games off until people can start travelling abroad again.

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

"But that's off the point a bit. Isn't the point about any international tournament in any sport about getting people from different countries in one location and putting on a show ? "

That went out the window before the virus decided to join us, well as far as the euros are concerned. Its now several locations, i think by making it so they diluted the interest and prestige of it, and interest has been further diluted by the current situation. .But , as is often the case, most will have a dig at it but when the time comes many will still be glued to the box.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

One of the problems is,how many International players will comeback with Covid symptoms and have to isolate for 14 days?

Bored already.

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER »

Of the near 200 football playing nations, there are only a handful that have a domestic competition more enjoyable to watch than the respective national team.

Unfortunately for you lot, England is one of them.

palerider

Post by palerider »

Friendlies should NOT be played atm.

As for the Nations League, what's the fucking point ?

It's just an excuse to give friendlies a meaning.