Haller

Chat about anything football related here!
h69

Haller

Post by h69 »

Rumour going round that he is changing nationality to Ivory Coast

JayK

Re: Haller

Post by JayK »

I don’t like this sort of thing. Very unpatriotic just for a bit of sport.

I read ages ago (and this is very vague unfortunately) some American dude tried with a hell of a lot of countries to compete in his chosen sport in the Winter Olympics. Told you it was vague 🤦🏻‍♂️

This changing nationality thing is all wrong and should be stopped. 1st I knew of this sort of thing going on was when Republic of Ireland were in the 1990 World Cup with the very Irish talking Andy Townsend, Ray Houghton, John Aldridge and Tony Cascarino. I’m sure there were plenty more in the team but those ones spring to mind most.
COYI!!!

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER »

I like the cut of his jib - if at first you don’t succeed, change certain personal aspects of yourself until you do.

If the Ivorian team don’t give him a start, he can say that he identifies himself as a nineteen year old Asian woman, change his name to Xiang Xu, and play for the Chinese women’s national team. *

It’s 2020 you Neanderthals. We embrace this shit now.

* From the bench.

JayK

Post by JayK »

OZHAMMER wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:30 pm I like the cut of his jib - if at first you don’t succeed, change certain personal aspects of yourself until you do.

If the Ivorian team don’t give him a start, he can say that he identifies himself as a nineteen year old Asian woman, change his name to Xiang Xu, and play for the Chinese women’s national team. *

* From the bench.
😂😂😂
COYI!!!

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

h69 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:29 am Rumour going round that he is changing nationality to Ivory Coast
Sacre Bleur we will lose his services to the African Nations Cup...and where will we be then...

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

JayK wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:38 am I don’t like this sort of thing. Very unpatriotic just for a bit of sport.

I read ages ago (and this is very vague unfortunately) some American dude tried with a hell of a lot of countries to compete in his chosen sport in the Winter Olympics. Told you it was vague 🤦🏻‍♂️

This changing nationality thing is all wrong and should be stopped. 1st I knew of this sort of thing going on was when Republic of Ireland were in the 1990 World Cup with the very Irish talking Andy Townsend, Ray Houghton, John Aldridge and Tony Cascarino. I’m sure there were plenty more in the team but those ones spring to mind most.
Didn't someone once say Patriotism Is the last refuge of the scoundrel.? Or something along those lines.

Any way if people weren't allowed to change their nationalities for sporting purposes Team GB wouldn't have won all those medals at the London Olympics. Seem to remember reading there weren't too many of them actually born in the UK.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

BlackDiamond wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:16 pm
h69 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:29 am Rumour going round that he is changing nationality to Ivory Coast
Sacre Bleur we will lose his services to the African Nations Cup...and where will we be then...
Not if he maintains his present form we won't.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc »

Not if it involves making the effort to get down to the Ivorian embassy he won’t be.
He’ll just shrug his shoulders and say “c’est la vie”.
Fancy calling your only son "Barnestoneworth"
He's got another name....
Yeah....."United"

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

OZHAMMER wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:30 pm I like the cut of his jib - if at first you don’t succeed, change certain personal aspects of yourself until you do.

* From the bench.
Absolutely right....................anyone think we were stuck in the Dark Ages of..2016 or something.....

JayK

Post by JayK »

Whiskyman wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:42 pm
JayK wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:38 am I don’t like this sort of thing. Very unpatriotic just for a bit of sport.

Didn't someone once say Patriotism Is the last refuge of the scoundrel.? Or something along those lines.

Any way if people weren't allowed to change their nationalities for sporting purposes Team GB wouldn't have won all those medals at the London Olympics. Seem to remember reading there weren't too many of them actually born in the UK.
No idea about the saying tbh but I think you’re right with regards team GB. Mo Farah I believe is Ethiopian. I still think it’s wrong, even if it’s to the detriment of our team
COYI!!!