The divers and cheaters

Chat about anything football related here!
BlackDiamond

Re: The divers and cheaters

Post by BlackDiamond »

palerider wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:35 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:54 pm

Not an invention of the big bucks foreigners mate. I'm old ebough to remember Francis lee, who perfected the art. The joke that did the rounds at the time was that he was really a Chinese bloke called Lee Won Pen. More recently look no further than Michael Owen. I remember in a World Cup match, think it was against Argentina, he won a penalty and was hailed as a national bloody hero.
Yes it was against the Argies but that obviously doesn't count after the hand of God malarkey.

Other than that it's a sneaky Johnny Foreigner thing that no stout British fellow would dare think about, no sir. Frannie Lee didn't actually dive but fall over as back in the day it was common practice to go onto the field after 10 pints of Red Barrel, not like today's namby-pamby snowflakes and their controlled diets.

I didn't get to be top scorer for Old Barkabbeyans in the Green Shield Stamps Essex League Division 2 by turning my nose up at a large doner and chips after a session in the Royal Oak on a Friday night.
Hmm, I'd quite like a super-size Donner with extra chilli sauce, seven pints of Stella Artois with an accompanying large crystal tumbler full of Southern Comfort, over shaved ice...only 27 days to go

h69

Post by h69 »

Whiskyman wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:19 am Can someone explain to me, preferably in idiot proof language, why pundits, and therefore fans who believe everything pundits tell them, think diving is EVIL, yet the latest soundbite Taking One For The Team which, like diving, is cheating, is considered to be what good professionals do.
Why would anyone on here be able to explain what pundits are thinking ? Would they read their mind ? By definition they are there to give their views. Most give you a view that they had when they were players themselves but of course we know that players dive so its hardly surprising they condone it.
Some deliberately say stuff that is controversial to generate chatter as well and others do not. the former are often more likely to be hired again (especially if they are a minority).

Personally I dont think diving is evil :lol: but it should be punished as it is cheating and the punishment should get worse the more the player does it in a game. It should not be something that is condoned. Simple.

But that is my opinion.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

h69 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:37 am
Whiskyman wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:19 am Can someone explain to me, preferably in idiot proof language, why pundits, and therefore fans who believe everything pundits tell them, think diving is EVIL, yet the latest soundbite Taking One For The Team which, like diving, is cheating, is considered to be what good professionals do.
Why would anyone on here be able to explain what pundits are thinking ? Would they read their mind ? By definition they are there to give their views. Most give you a view that they had when they were players themselves but of course we know that players dive so its hardly surprising they condone it.
Some deliberately say stuff that is controversial to generate chatter as well and others do not. the former are often more likely to be hired again (especially if they are a minority).

Personally I dont think diving is evil :lol: but it should be punished as it is cheating and the punishment should get worse the more the player does it in a game. It should not be something that is condoned. Simple.

But that is my opinion.
But divers are punished are they not ? Or at least they should be if the referee is doing his job properly. A yellow card for a dive to try to gain an advantage, the same as a yellow card for grabbing an opponent to stop a breakaway, for example. And do either again in the same game and out comes the red.

And punishing a player for more frequent offences SHOULD happen now I think. The totting up procedure for yellow cards results in an automatic suspension when a player has been cautioned so many times. Five i think, but that figure could be wrong.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

h69

Post by h69 »

Whiskyman wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:37 pm
h69 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:37 am

But that is my opinion.
But divers are punished are they not ? Or at least they should be if the referee is doing his job properly. A yellow card for a dive to try to gain an advantage, the same as a yellow card for grabbing an opponent to stop a breakaway, for example. And do either again in the same game and out comes the red.

And punishing a player for more frequent offences SHOULD happen now I think. The totting up procedure for yellow cards results in an automatic suspension when a player has been cautioned so many times. Five i think, but that figure could be wrong.
Does not seem to be happening consistently though.

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

Don't like the pretend card waving to the Ref as well.......Book him Referee he's naughty...what are they fuckin 7....

Well on Reflection,some do act like it.....7 year old multi millionaires,gotta love the PL............... :lol:

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

h69 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:39 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:37 pm

That's down to the quality of refereeing isn't it ? And made worse by the fact those same referees are operating VAR and failing to take action. I watched the last 20 minutes or so of the Saints v Newcastle game last night and there was a clear penalty to Saints missed which supposedly was checked by VAR. Took only a few seconds for the decision not to be challenged. For a league that claims itself as the world'ds best imo it is shocking that the appalling standard of the officials is tolerated. In most industries the consistently inept are dismissed.

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Whiskyman wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:00 am
h69 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:39 pm

That's down to the quality of refereeing isn't it ? And made worse by the fact those same referees are operating VAR and failing to take action. I watched the last 20 minutes or so of the Saints v Newcastle game last night and there was a clear penalty to Saints missed which supposedly was checked by VAR. Took only a few seconds for the decision not to be challenged. For a league that claims itself as the world'ds best imo it is shocking that the appalling standard of the officials is tolerated. In most industries the consistently inept are dismissed.
If WE can see it,why can't they?

I so don't get it.

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

terrya1965 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:25 am

I so don't get it.
Jobs for the Boys old son . That’s why .

Premier League
Tv companies
Match officials

All looking after each other Freemason stylee ..
Bring back Jonathon !

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

terrya1965 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:25 am

I so don't get it.
I think they can see it Terry. There was another blatant penalty not given in the Everton v Man U game just now. Couldn't have been clearer. But Michael Oliver (he's our best ref you know :lol: :lol: :lol: ) who was the VAR official took no action. Imo they are scared of contracdicting their on field chums because the following week the roles are reversed.

Imo it would help if the had the same system they had in Germany when I was working out there many years back. There was a Bundesliga round up program early evening and if a contentious decision was involved the referee was often asked for his reasons after the match. Why can't we do that ?

Castiron

Post by Castiron »

Haven't seen it, but by all accounts pretty similar to the Salah one last week.

89: PENALTY APPEAL..NOT GIVEN! Bamford tricks his way into the box and is wrapped on his heels by McCarthy. Nothing doing from the referee. Not Leeds' day.