Radical proposals for the reform of English football

Chat about anything football related here!
h69

Re: Radical proposals for the reform of English football

Post by h69 »

only1salty wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:18 am Easy fix.

Make it against the rules to participate in the European league as a member of the Premier League. Only takes 14 votes.

Effectively eject the 5 clubs who will be trying to have the best of both worlds. Note its only 5 so that's Spurs binned from Europe.

This is of course the real reason behind Project Restart. Drop the number of games in the premier league to allow them to take part in 2 leagues simultaneously. ....Oh and lock it all down with some bullshit FFP law aswell and salary caps for the lower league to shut that door.

Think it would be quite good to ditch the money grabbing element and make your own version of project restart. The rich owners can fuck off and we can find an equilibrium where the jump from the divisions is not so big and where competition is dictated by coaching and tactics and not only cash.

50.1% of clubs owned by fans
Cap on ticket prices home and away
Standing for supporters
Kick off times that allow for transport not TV

- Bit like Germany really -
Like I've said all along, take the top 6 out, it will become a far better product. Yes the quality might not be as high but competition will be far more intense.

h69

Post by h69 »

Whiskyman wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:25 am
Newmarket wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:32 pm

I can’t see it happening tbh , that would be 68 league games a year ?
There’s no WAY they could stay in our league is there ? Unless they play the u23’s in the PL of course
But they wouldn't would they ? This so called super league will never happen. Like any league it will become pretty clear after the first few games who the challengers are likely to be. So by the time we get to the 9th or 10th round of games there will be a load of meaningless, irrelevant, fixtures. Because there will be, apparently, no relegation, teams playing in these irrelevant also ran fixtures will be the ones which are weakened, not the ones in the domestic leagues. And do you really see viewers tuning in in their millions to watch Arsenal Reserves take on Olympiacos's second string.?

You can't can you ? Nor can I. And if viewers aren't tuning in why should advertisers pay the broadcasters for prime time ad slots ? Along with millions of other people I'll be tuning in to watch Barca v Real Madrid on Saturday. The same millions would probably tune in to watch it if it was a meaningful European League game instead of a La Liga fixture. Same as Man United v Liverpool, or Bayern v Dortmund,and Inter v Juve. But if those games suddenly became mid table irrelevances there would be a massive drop off in viewer interest.
There will be so much money per place in that league then they will always have something to play for. Money is more important than trophies to the clubs (not the fans)

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

h69 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:25 am

But they wouldn't would they ? This so called super league will never happen. Like any league it will become pretty clear after the first few games who the challengers are likely to be. So by the time we get to the 9th or 10th round of games there will be a load of meaningless, irrelevant, fixtures. Because there will be, apparently, no relegation, teams playing in these irrelevant also ran fixtures will be the ones which are weakened, not the ones in the domestic leagues. And do you really see viewers tuning in in their millions to watch Arsenal Reserves take on Olympiacos's second string.?

You can't can you ? Nor can I. And if viewers aren't tuning in why should advertisers pay the broadcasters for prime time ad slots ? Along with millions of other people I'll be tuning in to watch Barca v Real Madrid on Saturday. The same millions would probably tune in to watch it if it was a meaningful European League game instead of a La Liga fixture. Same as Man United v Liverpool, or Bayern v Dortmund,and Inter v Juve. But if those games suddenly became mid table irrelevances there would be a massive drop off in viewer interest.
There will be so much money per place in that league then they will always have something to play for. Money is more important than trophies to the clubs (not the fans)
But who would put the money in if it turned out that people weren't tuning in to watch the majority of matches ? The broadcasters wouldn't pay top dollar if they could only sell prime time advertising during a handful of matches. Similarly would sponsors be falling over themselves if their product, instead of being seen on the shirt of a leading club in their domestic league, was emblazoned on the kit of a mid table nonentity?

And that would be the problem of any protected closed shop. There would be some interest to see who actually finished on top of the pile but, as we've seen in the PL in pretty much every recent season, apart from 2018/19, the interest at the end of the season is always at the wrong end of the table.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Sooner them fucking Scouse tarts fuck off the better.

h69

Post by h69 »

Whiskyman wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:32 pm

But who would put the money in if it turned out that people weren't tuning in to watch the majority of matches ? The broadcasters wouldn't pay top dollar if they could only sell prime time advertising during a handful of matches. Similarly would sponsors be falling over themselves if their product, instead of being seen on the shirt of a leading club in their domestic league, was emblazoned on the kit of a mid table nonentity?

And that would be the problem of any protected closed shop. There would be some interest to see who actually finished on top of the pile but, as we've seen in the PL in pretty much every recent season, apart from 2018/19, the interest at the end of the season is always at the wrong end of the table.
People will watch Real Madrid v Bayern whether the teams are in line to win the League or not.
The FIFA generation just want to watch players that they have seen on their playstation.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

h69 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:26 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:32 pm

People will watch Real Madrid v Bayern whether the teams are in line to win the League or not.
The FIFA generation just want to watch players that they have seen on their playstation.
Disagree completely tbh. Real Madrid v Bayern would be a big game in today's context but if they were sitting , say, 6th and 9th in the European Super League or whatever name it was given the game would have far less viewer appeal.

And the players who feature on Playstation aren't just those who play for the top clubs btw. My grandchildren, and some of the kids in the team I coach, know more about the composition of Celta Vigo's B team than is healthy. ;)

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

It used to be the fans game(I know Whiskyman don`t like the phrase,but it was the working man's sport) ,but now it`s all about business men making lots of money from it and nothing else..

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

terrya1965 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:26 pm

It used to be the fans game(I know Whiskyman don`t like the phrase,but it was the working man's sport) ,but now it`s all about business men making lots of money from it and nothing else..
Don't know what you base that statement on Terry. Football wasn't invented, or at least organised football wasn't, by the "working man". FFS one of the first F A Cup finals featured a team of Old Etonians FFS. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And the people who watch it have been drawn from all sections of society. Clubs have always been owned by business people,, it's just that today's owners are considerably more wealthy than those in the past. And because there is more money in the game the profits are greater. Stumpy & Dribbly make more money from West Ham than the Cearns family ever did.

It's true that back in the day of the maximum wage players tended to be exclusively from blue collar backgrounds but I would suggest that was more to do with the fact that back then people could earn more money following other careers. That's changed and now we're seeing kids who in the past would have probably gone into business and played for fun at the weekend earning a very good living as professionals.

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Whiskyman wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:45 am
terrya1965 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:26 pm

Don't know what you base that statement on Terry. Football wasn't invented, or at least organised football wasn't, by the "working man". FFS one of the first F A Cup finals featured a team of Old Etonians FFS. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And the people who watch it have been drawn from all sections of society. Clubs have always been owned by business people,, it's just that today's owners are considerably more wealthy than those in the past. And because there is more money in the game the profits are greater. Stumpy & Dribbly make more money from West Ham than the Cearns family ever did.

It's true that back in the day of the maximum wage players tended to be exclusively from blue collar backgrounds but I would suggest that was more to do with the fact that back then people could earn more money following other careers. That's changed and now we're seeing kids who in the past would have probably gone into business and played for fun at the weekend earning a very good living as professionals.
When I first went(1971),up to the start of the PL,It was a working man's sport..I never see any middle classes at games in my time,(maybe that was just West Ham).Local businessmen ran Football Clubs and were apart of that community.

The Tories,especially under Thatcher detested anything to do with the game,until the PL was born..OK,we know the hooligan element played a massive part in that,but she wanted nothing to do with the game.

It was so working class,that the 1966 Winning World Cup Team were not even recognised in the honors list,but has soon as the PL took off world wide,they were trying to bend over backwards to award them..

Paul Gascoigne and England changed that in 1990.The rest is history.
Last edited by terrya1965 on Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.

only1salty

Post by only1salty »

Whisky: Football was a working mans sport.

The absolute vast majority of people who played it are working class, the majority of supporters who crammed into stadium were working class.

Just because the rich milked it - doesn't mean its roots aren't working class. I mean - the docker derby was exactly public school was it.

Tennis, Rugby Union and Cricket - yes.

Football has evolved several times and since the advent of the Premier League, all seater stadia and massive revenues - the tourist has been more important than the purist to those than run the game. Its about the dollar not the sport.

Its the American model. Franchises, no relegation, bleed the customer dry. Issue is (and its the same in my industry) the americans don't understand history or tradition, they don't understand Europe is not one country with distinct cultures and philosophies.

An American Bank convincing American owners to milk European football dry.