Radical proposals for the reform of English football

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

Re: Radical proposals for the reform of English football

Post by Whiskyman »

only1salty wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:14 am
Whiskyman wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:35 am
And you say I want a "glossy product". I think obnly a neanderthal would honestly say the conditions we endured when we started going to matches were preferable to what we have now. And before we get into a discussion about sitting or standing I do happen to agree that the so called safe standing areas should be encouraged. The stadia we now watch the game in are far superior to some of the crapholes we've visited on our travels in the past. And the quality of pitches has improved immeasurably since the days when Upton Park had been turned into a mudbath by the bloody British Legion Band even before the kick off or games at Derby's old Baseball Ground could only be played when the tide was out.
Put me down as a Neanderthal.

Decently priced tickets, standing for 90 minutes, crazy times when we scored and when we were getting stuffed, all shared by standing shoulder to shoulder in some craphole with a few beers.

Pisses all over my comfy seat at the soulless bowl where the view of the pitch is better from google earth and there are more tourists than windsor castle.

Memories for life have been made at football matches. When I look back at games at the soulless bowl I struggle to remember one. It's not the football - its the people you share it with.

Your neanderthal #1
My neanderthal comment was a reference to the conditions many of us endured back in the day. Nothing to do with standing v seating, in fact I think I did say that safe standing areas should be introduced as many seem to want them. I was referring back to the times, which many of us will remember, when, just to quote 3 examples, the old Shed at Stamford Bridge in fron of the toilet block at the top of it which, on occasions, saw rivers of piss flowing down the terraces, Upton Park (North Bank), may have been the same on the South Bank but I never stood that end, when particularly on a hot day the stench from the khazis was often overwhelming, and The Dell at Southampton when if you wanted a piss, or heaven forbid a crap, during the game it was an impossibility to actually do.

Some people prefer standing to sitting, no one should see that as a problem, but sorry, anyone who pines for the old days, standing in a piss river in South West London, qualifies as a neanderthal in my book. ;)
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

And you say I want a "glossy product". I think obnly a neanderthal would honestly say the conditions we endured when we started going to matches were preferable to what we have now. And before we get into a discussion about sitting or standing I do happen to agree that the so called safe standing areas should be encouraged. The stadia we now watch the game in are far superior to some of the crapholes we've visited on our travels in the past. And the quality of pitches has improved immeasurably since the days when Upton Park had been turned into a mudbath by the bloody British Legion Band even before the kick off or games at Derby's old Baseball Ground could only be played when the tide was out.

Decently priced tickets, standing for 90 minutes, crazy times when we scored and when we were getting stuffed, all shared by standing shoulder to shoulder in some craphole with a few beers.

Pisses all over my comfy seat at the soulless bowl where the view of the pitch is better from google earth and there are more tourists than windsor castle.

Memories for life have been made at football matches. When I look back at games at the soulless bowl I struggle to remember one. It's not the football - its the people you share it with.

Your neanderthal #1
Agree with both of those posts.................................... :lol:

Fence sitter me... Nah...just want the best of both worlds...We've gone one extreme to the other..

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

Dwayne Pipes wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:41 am I must say my view over the shit bowl isn’t too bad Bonzo lower it sometimes needs more atmosphere but that’s down to supporters plus the team actually trying to win a football match.
Don’t buy fuck all inside the ground or the food stalls ,can go without for a couple of hours
Handy for a piss plenty of karzis
The only bug bear is the fucking trek to/from boozer to get to the fucking place
Have been some good times over there Friday night Spurs springs to mind.
Not everyone’s cup of tea I know but have to make what we have more West Hamsy :lol:
If you're back row of the Bonzo....Bloody sit down.... :lol:

Normally in front row or 2 upstairs..level with 18 yard box not to bad there...I'm a Member not an STer,so move around a little..

Yeah you're in the Bull in the High St ..14.15 gotta start thinking of leaving if wanna make kick off.

Couple times..the Noise been up there loudest I've heard at footie....Just Couple times tho....shame we can't go at moment,
might be seeing how good we can make it....been some noise for Mickys goal...

Was good couple times last year...with the Band on outside as you left...pint or 2 let all the fuckin sign posts go... :lol:
Bit dependent on won or lost tho...we lose with a dismal display,just wanna get the fuck outta there TBH...
Didn't matter at Upton back in Queens for a couple win lose or draw...

If and a big IF...we were Knocking round top 6 or so...Things wouldn't be perfect ,but be a hell of a lot better.

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

mkhammer wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:04 pm
Dwayne Pipes wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:41 am I must say my view over the shit bowl isn’t too bad Bonzo lower it sometimes needs more atmosphere but that’s down to supporters plus the team actually trying to win a football match.
Don’t buy fuck all inside the ground or the food stalls ,can go without for a couple of hours
Handy for a piss plenty of karzis
The only bug bear is the fucking trek to/from boozer to get to the fucking place
Have been some good times over there Friday night Spurs springs to mind.
Not everyone’s cup of tea I know but have to make what we have more West Hamsy :lol:

Normally in front row or 2 upstairs..level with 18 yard box not to bad there...I'm a Member not an STer,so move around a little..

Yeah you're in the Bull in the High St ..14.15 gotta start thinking of leaving if wanna make kick off.

Couple times..the Noise been up there loudest I've heard at footie....Just Couple times tho....shame we can't go at moment,

Was good couple times last year...with the Band on outside as you left...pint or 2 let all the fuckin sign posts go... :lol:
Bit dependent on won or lost tho...we lose with a dismal display,just wanna get the fuck outta there TBH...

If and a big IF...we were Knocking round top 6 or so...Things wouldn't be perfect ,but be a hell of a lot better.
Oh so that’s you hollering out and getting told to fuck off
;)

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

Dwayne Pipes wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:53 pm
mkhammer wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:04 pm

Oh so that’s you hollering out and getting told to fuck off
;)
Yeah....My retort...wanna stand...there a bloody Karzi downstairs... goes down well..... :lol:

Nah being serious not really a prob ..more annoying,get some,slightest thing happens and they're up,popcorn everywhere.. :lol:

h69

Post by h69 »

Your neanderthal #1
goodpost:)

NAIL ON HEAD !!!!

I have a good view at our stadium myself but there is nothing like the old style grounds for atmosphere. Away at Selhurst park is the nearest we get to that now even with the seats in.

The old grounds are still the best even with seats in. I would imagine that the safe standing rubbish will not be the same. Standing was never the issue, fences were.

Being rammed into stadia packed full of people, singing started and the crowd would sway as the game ebbed and flowed. Nothing like it. Even when we lost it was atmospheric.....remember the 4-0 defeat to Nottingham Forest in the FA Cup semi at Villa Park when Gale was sent off. It was deafening standing on the Holte End that day.

Liverpool in the LWCup when we won 4-1, Everton at home in the FA Cup quarterfinal. When the stadium was rammed it was incredible wherever it was and as long as the ground had a roof, it was fucking insane and noisy

Towie

Post by Towie »

Sorry but must be my age, I prefer our new stadium.

My view is great but I’m right in the middle, must be difficult if you behind goals.
Nice and easy get a pint half time, wouldn’t even have bothered at Old ground.

And there have been some good atmospheres at new ground, Chelsea 2-1, Liverpool home draw for example.

But that is up to us as supporters to get the atmosphere going and that is only helped by the team performing.

I do miss the old standing days, but as I say it must be an age thing as not sure my worn out knees could take it!!
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

mkhammer wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:38 am

Your neanderthal #1
Agree with both of those posts.................................... :lol:

Fence sitter me... Nah...just want the best of both worlds...We've gone one extreme to the other..
You w*nker MK..Sitting on the fence :lol:

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Towie wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:53 pm Sorry but must be my age, I prefer our new stadium.

My view is great but I’m right in the middle, must be difficult if you behind goals.

And there have been some good atmospheres at new ground, Chelsea 2-1, Liverpool home draw for example.

But that is up to us as supporters to get the atmosphere going and that is only helped by the team performing.

I do miss the old standing days, but as I say it must be an age thing as not sure my worn out knees could take it!!
TBH now Towie,I like to seat down in comfort.But back in the day,has a youngster and young adult.I loved it.Great days.Going to places like WHL,with 9,000 West Ham fans singing at the top of their voices.UP night Cup games..When the hairs on the back of your neck stood on end.An occasional trophy thrown in too...Best days of my life for me.

Towie

Post by Towie »

terrya1965 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:17 pm
Towie wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:53 pm Sorry but must be my age, I prefer our new stadium.

TBH now Towie,I like to seat down in comfort.But back in the day,has a youngster and young adult.I loved it.Great days.Going to places like WHL,with 9,000 West Ham fans singing at the top of their voices.UP night Cup games..When the hairs on the back of your neck stood on end.An occasional trophy thrown in too...Best days of my life for me.
I agree mate, as said though must be my age as I prefer sitting in comfort now.
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.