Radical proposals for the reform of English football

Chat about anything football related here!
terrya1965

Re: Radical proposals for the reform of English football

Post by terrya1965 »

9898 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:50 pm ....and why this is going on, a proposal that will NEVER happen, the PPV issue has been forgotten.
A masterful lesson in burying bad news.
Bravo.
That £14.99 PPV is until the end of October.

I would be surprised if they charge that price again.There has been a lot of criticism.I don`t where you have been.

Post by 9898 »

terrya1965 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:26 pm
9898 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:50 pm ....and why this is going on, a proposal that will NEVER happen, the PPV issue has been forgotten.
A masterful lesson in burying bad news.
Bravo.

I would be surprised if they charge that price again.There has been a lot of criticism.I don`t where you have been.
Terry, let me educate you.

Sky demanded that the fee was £14.95.

The reason? This is not temporary.
What is happening is Sky are getting this out there under the guise of Covid. People get used to paying it.
Next season, when people have become use to paying for separate matches, Sky will then put the best matches on PPV.
This is getting fans used to paying PPV per match.
Fact.
"Mum. I've wet the bed again."

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

9898 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:47 pm
terrya1965 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:26 pm

What is happening is Sky are getting this out there under the guise of Covid. People get used to paying it.
Next season, when people have become use to paying for separate matches, Sky will then put the best matches on PPV.
Fact.
No,let me educate you.

If Sky did this,then the punters will stop paying subscriptions for watching uninspiring rubbish.

You have to ask yourself,why so many are critical of it?I would say many people are losing their jobs and having their wages cut,but you think it`s fine for the tv companies to take even more money from us.

It could actually have a back firing effect on Football..I can see a lot of fans walking away unless common sense is used.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

terrya1965 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:14 pm
9898 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:47 pm

Fact.
No,let me educate you.

If Sky did this,then the punters will stop paying subscriptions for watching uninspiring rubbish.

You have to ask yourself,why so many are critical of it?I would say many people are losing their jobs and having their wages cut,but you think it`s fine for the tv companies to take even more money from us.

It could actually have a back firing effect on Football..I can see a lot of fans walking away unless common sense is used.
Must correct you there Terry. TV companies do not TAKE money from us. We CHOOSE to pay the subscriptions. If we don't like it, or think it's too much, we all have the right to tell them to fuck off. Exactly the reason why I laugh at people who moan about over proced club merchandise. Yet still trot into their appropriate club store to buy the shit. Some people just can't help themselves.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:08 pm

No,let me educate you.

Must correct you there Terry. TV companies do not TAKE money from us. We CHOOSE to pay the subscriptions. If we don't like it, or think it's too much, we all have the right to tell them to fuck off. Exactly the reason why I laugh at people who moan about over proced club merchandise. Yet still trot into their appropriate club store to buy the shit. Some people just can't help themselves.
But you are being told,pay this fee,otherwise you CANNOT watch your team...That is the going rate and you have to pay it.You have NO choice,unless you do something illegal.

PS,I do neither.

Towie

Post by Towie »

terrya1965 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:33 pm

But you are being told,pay this fee,otherwise you CANNOT watch your team...That is the going rate and you have to pay it.You have NO choice,unless you do something illegal.

PS,I do neither.
In normal circumstances you cannot watch your team play without a ticket? Unless you do something illegal.

What’s the difference?
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

No,let me educate you.

Out of curiosity, do you ever moan about the price of beer but still buy it, or the price of petrol but still fill up your car? Could drink water or even ride a bike, or take public transport. We all have choices, easy when you can do with out, not so when you are hooked no matter how laughable it may seem to others.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

terrya1965 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:33 pm

PS,I do neither.
Yes, but to blame T V companies isn't the whole picture, pardon the pun, is it ? Before there was T V football the only way to watch a game was to actually go and pay at the gate. Then subscription T V came along and you sould watch your own team, but only if they were selected as one of the games to be shown.

If anything the problem with T V football is that it's made the game easily accessible that we've all taken it for granted. I suppose the best way would be to scrap Sky/BT subs and allow clubs to charge for their own games. But what is a fair price ? Fucked if I know. And in the commercial world it's us consumers who eventually determine the price. If £14.95 sees massive numbers buying the packages chances are prices will, if anything, go up. But if people don't pay they will come down. The power is in the hands of you and I.

palerider

Post by palerider »

When I didn't go to the match, the norm was listening to the radio for the score updates, the teleprinter on the BBC (Why do Scottish games always finish the earliest ?), then MOTD in the evening.

It's now what I do. Full circle.

And I'm quite enjoying it tbh.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

eskimo joe wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:07 am

Out of curiosity, do you ever moan about the price of beer but still buy it, or the price of petrol but still fill up your car? Could drink water or even ride a bike, or take public transport. We all have choices, easy when you can do with out, not so when you are hooked no matter how laughable it may seem to others.
To answer your question, no I don't moan about the price of beer. It's pointless doing so because I have a choice whether to drink it or not. Or I could find a nearby Wetherspoon's and drink it cheaper. And those people you say are so hooked on football they can't do without. What did they do when there was virtually no live football on television before Sky T V came along ? I agree it's a bit unfair that fans of the clubs whose games are PPV are having to pay extra on top of their subs, whilst we West Ham fans can watch our team because they have been selected for broadcast. But anyone who thinks £14.95, or any other price, is a rip off has the option of not paying it.

And if they're so hooked they can't do without it they should seek help.