Radical proposals for the reform of English football

Chat about anything football related here!
mkhammer

Re: Radical proposals for the reform of English football

Post by mkhammer »

terrya1965 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:10 pm
mkhammer wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:38 am

Agree with both of those posts.................................... :lol:

Fence sitter me... Nah...just want the best of both worlds...We've gone one extreme to the other..
You w*nker MK..Sitting on the fence :lol:
Best place...................................................Sometimes... :lol:

But think prob we all want the same thing...a 55,000 seater Upton.......With Standing in the Sir Trev and Sir Bobby
Lowers as well of course,can only dream..

But one thing ..if you CAN change something....Change it....if you CAN'T... make the best of what you have..

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

mkhammer wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:44 am
terrya1965 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:10 pm

You w*nker MK..Sitting on the fence :lol:

But think prob we all want the same thing...a 55,000 seater Upton.......With Standing in the Sir Trev and Sir Bobby

But one thing ..if you CAN change something....Change it....if you CAN'T... make the best of what you have..
New stadium, properly designed, yes. But 55,000 at Upton Park. Not in a million years. Place was a fucking nightmare to get in and out of with 35,000 never mind 20,000 more.

What's on the site the Icelandics were looking at ? Is it an Asda now. Or a mosque. ;)
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

h69

Post by h69 »

Towie wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:03 pm
terrya1965 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:17 pm

TBH now Towie,I like to seat down in comfort.But back in the day,has a youngster and young adult.I loved it.Great days.Going to places like WHL,with 9,000 West Ham fans singing at the top of their voices.UP night Cup games..When the hairs on the back of your neck stood on end.An occasional trophy thrown in too...Best days of my life for me.
I agree mate, as said though must be my age as I prefer sitting in comfort now.
I have a great seat now also in the Billy Bonds stand but it isn't the stadium that is the issue, its the same across all off football now in the PL at least. Our stadium is actually one of the better places for a view based on where I sit....I think that the last few years at UP were poor if you exclude the odd game like the final one and it was a nightmare to get to and from.

I think it has a lot to do with the type of people that go to football these days (dare I say it being mostly working class and not so many city boys... :lol: ) . They want a lot more of an 'experience' for the 50-90 quid they are paying.

I think we had less facilities when it was a fiver but the type of people that went made the atmosphere. It was more raw in those days, even edgy. I would trade a fantastic view for the atmospheres of 30 years ago for instance. I don't need a match day experience.

Better atmosphere, cheap away travel, much more competitive sport and cheaper to go to....what's not to like ?
Used to love the sing songs and the banter with the away fans when they were in the South Bank.

I dont mind the new ground but the best atmosphere i have seen there was during the Olympic Games and the World Championship Athletics.

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:29 pm

New stadium, properly designed, yes. But 55,000 at Upton Park. Not in a million years. Place was a fucking nightmare to get in and out of with 35,000 never mind 20,000 more.

What's on the site the Icelandics were looking at ? Is it an Asda now. Or a mosque. ;)
Plans drawn up for the refurb of Upton Park was for a 42,000 capacity as you say a fucking nightmare for supporters
There was a lot of opposition to the building of the east stand from the residents in Priory rd and the old bus garage.
Brown was all fucking hot air and tight as a nuns chuff so little progress was made.
The rest is fucking history when them two cunts took over.

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

The old West Ham speedway/dog track was spoken about years ago for a move but Custom house was even more of a cunt to get to/from.
As was Beckton.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Dwayne Pipes wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:17 pm

Plans drawn up for the refurb of Upton Park was for a 42,000 capacity as you say a fucking nightmare for supporters
There was a lot of opposition to the building of the east stand from the residents in Priory rd and the old bus garage.
Brown was all fucking hot air and tight as a nuns chuff so little progress was made.
The rest is fucking history when them two cunts took over.
I still blame Brown for not forcing through the move to Becton all those years ago. The ground could have been built at virtually no cost to the club as part of the (then) Docklands refurbishment project. But there was fan uproar, fuck knows why, and Brown bottled it. Instead some years later we rebuilt Upton Park at massive cost. Incorporated a hotel, FFS a hotel in Green Street, and that was essentially the styart of our financial worries.

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

Yeah totally agree mate...55 k wasn't doable at upton park... one of the reasons was for the move......intially........
what meant was a new stadium with a nod to upton..if that was poss...would still have been least 2 miles away,where ever
we went tho..
Not sure bout the Icelandic thing...remember Becton being banded about one time.....that'd been cool...55,000
down by the River/Docks..
Not sure about the transport links tho.... :lol:

Edit...just read your post bout it mate...

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Probably not the right thread for this but I'm fucked if I can be bothered spending ages looking for the Euro Super League thread (sure there was one a while back).

This is quite interesting and although the poll sample (2,100) is very small it does, imo, show that a lot of younger fans seem more keen on the idea of a European League than us old fuckers. I'm guessing that's largely because a lot of young kids just can't afford to go to games these days because of the cost. Going to matches was how I guess most of us oldies caught the bug.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55159249

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Whiskyman wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:12 pm Probably not the right thread for this but I'm fucked if I can be bothered spending ages looking for the Euro Super League thread (sure there was one a while back).

This is quite interesting and although the poll sample (2,100) is very small it does, imo, show that a lot of younger fans seem more keen on the idea of a European League than us old fuckers. I'm guessing that's largely because a lot of young kids just can't afford to go to games these days because of the cost. Going to matches was how I guess most of us oldies caught the bug.

Nah reckon it’s down to kids playing them fifa and football manager soppy fucking games and getting spoilt
watching the hyped up delights of the CL and the foreign leagues constantly cluttering up channels.
Imo.

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Dwayne Pipes wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:46 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:12 pm Probably not the right thread for this but I'm fucked if I can be bothered spending ages looking for the Euro Super League thread (sure there was one a while back).

Nah reckon it’s down to kids playing them fifa and football manager soppy fucking games and getting spoilt
watching the hyped up delights of the CL and the foreign leagues constantly cluttering up channels.
Imo.
Yeah , English kids supporting Barca & PSG ffs
Bring back Jonathon !