And that was that

Chat about anything football related here!

Re: And that was that

Post by 9898 »

Shortshanks wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:01 pm I would like to have seen him with a decent midfield to work with. Unfortunately that wasn't the case. Teams worked out early on that you stop Anderson you stop West Ham and he would quickly have 2 sometimes even 3 on him and no one to help him. We'll never know anyway now and with this manager any player with flair will be discarded.
That's totally wrong.
Name me one game (apart from Norwich home, I think? when Anderson dictated the game?
Anderson was never more than (very, very occasionally) a pretty ornament in a game who maybe scored a goal or done a step over when West Ham were already well on top.
He does not have it in him to dictate the outcome of a game.
"Mum. I've wet the bed again."

h69

Post by h69 »

Newmarket wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:25 am
thomasswe wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:55 am

Haller has quality but he isnt near as mobile as Antonio (who is?) Haller can shine in and around the box and Antonio is everywhere. It's a shame we cant use both at the same time as that would leave us too short in midfield.
We CAN use them both though . The midfield is fine without Noble .
It just requires a LB that can defend so that we can play a back FOUR .’

Which brings us back to the owners... :roll:
Back 4 is old fashioned and not good enough for the pace of the PL. Its a different game to the Bundesliga or Ligue 1

I seems Masuaku is much better in a back 5 as well.

h69

Post by h69 »

Haller has quality but he isnt near as mobile as Antonio (who is?) Haller can shine in and around the box and Antonio is everywhere. It's a shame we cant use both at the same time as that would leave us too short in midfield.

Back 4 is old fashioned and not good enough for the pace of the PL. Its a different game to the Bundesliga or Ligue 1

I seems Masuaku is much better in a back 5 as well.

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

This...absolutely..
Banged on about utilising a 3 for ages,cos of our weak fullbacks,but you still need the option of a 4 ...
think theres only a few sides that play a 3 constant..Wolves think are one ...Cheats swap and change,as do arse and
spuds,and I mean change during a game,which is a great thing to have in your kit bag.... :lol:

Scouse play a four but it switches to a 3 seamlessly,is why Hendersons so important to them,he drops right back
into a back 3 at times..and covers the Full backs...really effective FBs become WBs..pushing right up,allows
their front 3 to move in closer to each other...not spread right across as a CF and 2 Wide forwards..
Wish we would try that..we have the Players for it now.

What we're doing is working,but it wont always...we'll get sussed and will need to change it up a bit occasionally.

Shortshanks

Post by Shortshanks »

9898 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:22 am
Shortshanks wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:01 pm I would like to have seen him with a decent midfield to work with. Unfortunately that wasn't the case. Teams worked out early on that you stop Anderson you stop West Ham and he would quickly have 2 sometimes even 3 on him and no one to help him. We'll never know anyway now and with this manager any player with flair will be discarded.
That's totally wrong.
Name me one game (apart from Norwich home, I think? when Anderson dictated the game?
Anderson was never more than (very, very occasionally) a pretty ornament in a game who maybe scored a goal or done a step over when West Ham were already well on top.
He does not have it in him to dictate the outcome of a game.
Do you seriously think anyone could dictate a game when they are lumbered with the midfield he had to contend with. Even Messi would have struggled having to go back helping out most of the time. Very few games are dictated by one player nowadays anyway, in fact struggling to think of any. Some players like De Bruyne may play consistently well but then again they are surrounded by quality players and don't do everything themselves or have to do someone else's work as well as their own. And when West Ham were on top it was usually because of him or do you know someone else who would have put us on top ?

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

mkhammer wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:29 pm

This...absolutely..
Banged on about utilising a 3 for ages,cos of our weak fullbacks,but you still need the option of a 4 ...
think theres only a few sides that play a 3 constant..Wolves think are one ...Cheats swap and change,as do arse and
spuds,and I mean change during a game,which is a great thing to have in your kit bag.... :lol:

Scouse play a four but it switches to a 3 seamlessly,is why Hendersons so important to them,he drops right back
into a back 3 at times..and covers the Full backs...really effective FBs become WBs..pushing right up,allows
their front 3 to move in closer to each other...not spread right across as a CF and 2 Wide forwards..
Wish we would try that..we have the Players for it now.

What we're doing is working,but it wont always...we'll get sussed and will need to change it up a bit occasionally.
I just think Moyes is missing a trick by not playing the 4 sometimes ?
He can’t now as we don’t have the LB .

There are going to be times when we (should) be chasing a game but it’s pointless subbing Haller for Antonio with 2 mins to go is it ?
There are times when we (should) need to go 2 up top without running the risk of conceding another .

The shoulds are all in brackets because the dinosaur never will.
He either makes the like for like swaps when it’s too fucking late or just leaves things as they are to protect a narrow defeat .

Even in cup games ffs.
Bring back Jonathon !

hd1

Post by hd1 »

9898 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:22 am Name me one game (apart from Norwich home, I think? when Anderson dictated the game?
First one that springs to mind is Southampton away, December 2018. 2 goals in a 2-1 win. They couldn't handle him that night.

Man Utd and Burnley home wins before that.

All in 2018, but showed he can run a game when he wants to.

Post by 9898 »

hd1 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:18 pm
9898 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:22 am Name me one game (apart from Norwich home, I think? when Anderson dictated the game?
First one that springs to mind is Southampton away, December 2018. 2 goals in a 2-1 win. They couldn't handle him that night.

Man Utd and Burnley home wins before that.

All in 2018, but showed he can run a game when he wants to.
What a strange comment. Not unexpected from you.

' he can run a game when he wants to.' - so, your'e saying he doesn't want to run games. He doesn't want to do well. :lol: :lol:
"Mum. I've wet the bed again."

hd1

Post by hd1 »

Some players when they are on top of their game and fancy it can be almost unplayable, DiCanio was a good example, but a cold night in Wigan was not for him.

Dont expect you to understand that even now, given you know fuck all about anything :lol:

h69

Post by h69 »

hd1 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:54 pm Some players when they are on top of their game and fancy it can be almost unplayable, DiCanio was a good example, but a cold night in Wigan was not for him.

Dont expect you to understand that even now, given you know fuck all about anything :lol:
Anderson is just not suited to the physicality of our league. Would be better off playing in La Liga in my opinion.