No Surprises under Moyes

Chat about anything football related here!
User avatar
terrya1965
Posts: 5899
Joined: Sun May 29, 2016 8:48 pm
x 175
x 158

Re: No Surprises under Moyes

Post by terrya1965 »

palerider wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:56 am
I watched quite a bit of the football-fest yesterday and the pundits were purring at the amount of goals this weekend.

It was mentioned that teams now employ a risk and reward strategy placing the greater emphasis on scoring than conceding.


Except one.
Not only are we boring and negative, we have f*ck all points to show for it.
Entertainment value = ZERO

THE HOUSE THAT GSB BUILT.

What a roaring success, they've been.Well done,all three of you.Has long as your pockets are full,that`s the main thing,isn't it.

User avatar
Whiskyman
Posts: 11393
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:05 pm
x 35
x 207

Re: No Surprises under Moyes

Post by Whiskyman »

terrya1965 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:08 am
palerider wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:56 am
I watched quite a bit of the football-fest yesterday and the pundits were purring at the amount of goals this weekend.

It was mentioned that teams now employ a risk and reward strategy placing the greater emphasis on scoring than conceding.


Except one.
Not only are we boring and negative, we have f*ck all points to show for it.
Entertainment value = ZERO

THE HOUSE THAT GSB BUILT.

What a roaring success, they've been.Well done,all three of you.Has long as your pockets are full,that`s the main thing,isn't it.
Disagree that entertainment value last Saturday was zero. I thought we played as decently as we did in some of the end of season games last year and only lost because we weren't clinical enough in front of goal. At one point in the second half we had had 8 shots to Arsenal's one. But as someone else has pointed out too few of those efforts were on target.
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

User avatar
Dwayne Pipes
Posts: 3870
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:46 pm
x 35
x 265

Re: No Surprises under Moyes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Hit the bar
One on the line
Definite penalty didn’t get as usual.
Outplayed them most of second half

You just knew lucky Arse would nick it late on.

User avatar
Clayton
Posts: 5936
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:29 pm
x 44
x 54

Re: No Surprises under Moyes

Post by Clayton »

Dwayne Pipes wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:32 am
Hit the bar
One on the line
Definite penalty didn’t get as usual.
Outplayed them most of second half

You just knew lucky Arse would nick it late on.
Especially with their strike force , 7 shots at goal 3 on target the whole game yet we had 14 shots and only 3 on target , just not clinical or good enough.

User avatar
Towie
Posts: 2523
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 8:06 pm
x 159
x 90

Re: No Surprises under Moyes

Post by Towie »

Clayton wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:36 am
Dwayne Pipes wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:32 am
Hit the bar
One on the line
Definite penalty didn’t get as usual.
Outplayed them most of second half

You just knew lucky Arse would nick it late on.
Especially with their strike force , 7 shots at goal 3 on target the whole game yet we had 14 shots and only 3 on target , just not clinical or good enough.
Don’t worry Haller will get a couple midweek and start at weekend.

Oh hang on he did that last week, and didn’t start!

Good old Moyes.
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

User avatar
Clayton
Posts: 5936
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:29 pm
x 44
x 54

Re: No Surprises under Moyes

Post by Clayton »

Towie wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:12 pm
Clayton wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:36 am


Especially with their strike force , 7 shots at goal 3 on target the whole game yet we had 14 shots and only 3 on target , just not clinical or good enough.
Don’t worry Haller will get a couple midweek and start at weekend.

Oh hang on he did that last week, and didn’t start!

Good old Moyes.
Now I am being nice to Moyes here sort of :lol: , the manager doesn't actually have a squad to put out as a starting eleven with players who can actually fill the role required it appears . He is playing Fornals as a LW or a LWFW depending on the formation because we don't actually have any apart from Antonio who can fill the role , he is playing Antonio as a FW when we actually have Haller sitting on the bench who was one of the best in Europe not that long ago , Noble when available is being used as a CAM when we have Fornals , Lanzini and Anderson who can actually play the position , last but not least he lacks any decent defensive FB's or WB's .

User avatar
Newmarket
Posts: 12973
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 10:03 pm
x 228
x 221

Re: No Surprises under Moyes

Post by Newmarket »

Clayton wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:46 pm
Towie wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:12 pm


Don’t worry Haller will get a couple midweek and start at weekend.

Oh hang on he did that last week, and didn’t start!

Good old Moyes.
Now I am being nice to Moyes here sort of :lol: , the manager doesn't actually have a squad to put out as a starting eleven with players who can actually fill the role required it appears . He is playing Fornals as a LW or a LWFW depending on the formation because we don't actually have any apart from Antonio who can fill the role , he is playing Antonio as a FW when we actually have Haller sitting on the bench who was one of the best in Europe not that long ago , Noble when available is being used as a CAM when we have Fornals , Lanzini and Anderson who can actually play the position , last but not least he lacks any decent defensive FB's or WB's .
Happy days indeed
Bring back Jonathon !

User avatar
Hammertime
Posts: 1724
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 1:19 pm
x 4
x 36

Re: No Surprises under Moyes

Post by Hammertime »

Clayton wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:46 pm
Towie wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:12 pm


Don’t worry Haller will get a couple midweek and start at weekend.

Oh hang on he did that last week, and didn’t start!

Good old Moyes.
Now I am being nice to Moyes here sort of :lol: , the manager doesn't actually have a squad to put out as a starting eleven with players who can actually fill the role required it appears . He is playing Fornals as a LW or a LWFW depending on the formation because we don't actually have any apart from Antonio who can fill the role , he is playing Antonio as a FW when we actually have Haller sitting on the bench who was one of the best in Europe not that long ago , Noble when available is being used as a CAM when we have Fornals , Lanzini and Anderson who can actually play the position , last but not least he lacks any decent defensive FB's or WB's .
I think most of these formations are to cater to the glaring weakness we have in the team and to not leave our swiss cheese defense too exposed. We can't afford the luxury of an Anderson or Lanzini, they don't defend from the front like a Fornals or a Noble and that has been our problem. Even Yarma and Haller fall into this category of not pinning the opposition back enough or being much help in our defensive half. If we manage to secure an experienced CB to partner Ogbonna, an athletic LB to replace Cresswell, I think we can even continue to develop Johnson at RB with Fredericks as cover. With that kind of defense with Rice and Soucek in front of it, I can't imagine needing much defensive help from our front players then the likes of Anderson, Lanzini, Haller and Yarma should be able to thrive. I think this team has goals in it, but as long as we're playing catchup or having our attacking players like Bowen and Fornals spending more time defending than attacking, then this season will continue to frustrate.
Patriotism, like celibacy, can be carried too far!

User avatar
terrya1965
Posts: 5899
Joined: Sun May 29, 2016 8:48 pm
x 175
x 158

Re: No Surprises under Moyes

Post by terrya1965 »

Hammertime wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:49 pm
Clayton wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:46 pm


Now I am being nice to Moyes here sort of :lol: , the manager doesn't actually have a squad to put out as a starting eleven with players who can actually fill the role required it appears . He is playing Fornals as a LW or a LWFW depending on the formation because we don't actually have any apart from Antonio who can fill the role , he is playing Antonio as a FW when we actually have Haller sitting on the bench who was one of the best in Europe not that long ago , Noble when available is being used as a CAM when we have Fornals , Lanzini and Anderson who can actually play the position , last but not least he lacks any decent defensive FB's or WB's .
I think most of these formations are to cater to the glaring weakness we have in the team and to not leave our swiss cheese defense too exposed. We can't afford the luxury of an Anderson or Lanzini, they don't defend from the front like a Fornals or a Noble and that has been our problem. Even Yarma and Haller fall into this category of not pinning the opposition back enough or being much help in our defensive half. If we manage to secure an experienced CB to partner Ogbonna, an athletic LB to replace Cresswell, I think we can even continue to develop Johnson at RB with Fredericks as cover. With that kind of defense with Rice and Soucek in front of it, I can't imagine needing much defensive help from our front players then the likes of Anderson, Lanzini, Haller and Yarma should be able to thrive. I think this team has goals in it, but as long as we're playing catchup or having our attacking players like Bowen and Fornals spending more time defending than attacking, then this season will continue to frustrate.
I quite enjoy reading your views.You always make very good points.

User avatar
h69
Posts: 4394
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:51 pm
Location: Ruislip, Middlesex
x 160
x 99

Re: No Surprises under Moyes

Post by h69 »

terrya1965 wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:38 pm
Even though we haven`t had the most glorious past gone by,we have always picked up one or two surprising results in a season.

We have gone to Away to a top 4 side like United,Arsenal,Spurs or Chelsea and won and got 3 points.Even at home at least once or twice in a season,we have done the business..Even under Big Sam,we have had that "What a result today"eg 3-0 away at Tottenham.

I really hope ,I am proved wrong,but I don`t think this will happen under Moyes..His mangers record playing against a Top 4 team is absolutely dreadful.

For much of his stint at Goodison Park the so-called top four were generally Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man United. Moyes’ record against those teams during his 11 years with the Toffees was; lost 27, drawn 16, won 0.

While in charge of Sunderland, the Gunners, the Blues, City and Manchester United beat them home and away. They were also on the end of defeats at the hands of Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur, with draws against those latter two the only points the Black Cats took away from teams in the upper echelons.

It could be argued that it is difficult for Moyes to compete with a struggling Sunderland side, but even when the Scot was Red Devils boss in 2013/14 his record wasn’t much better. A win against Arsenal was the only high point that campaign, with the Reds and Man City beating him home and away and Spurs and Chelsea also triumphant.From those two seasons, Moyes record reads; won 1, drawn 5, lost 16.

Looking at that evidence, I can`t seeing us getting anything ,especially a win against any of the Top 6.
Didnt we beat Chelsea at home last season ?

Post Reply