Good Piece By Martin Samuels

Chat about anything football related here!
BlackDiamond

Re: Good Piece By Martin Samuels

Post by BlackDiamond »

h69 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:10 pm
dagenhamdave wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:18 am Thought it a load of shit to be fair.
The good players only go to the top few clubs, it is all lopsided, survival and a run in the Micky Mouse Cup is the most that the majority of teams can hope for now.
Agree.

Money has created an entertainment spectacle for the Chinese and the sofa surfers but ruined the game as a sport.
I would say the money into football has improved every aspect of the game both on and off the pitch. And this is true in any sector and by any measurement.

When people say it was better years ago, what they are really saying, it was better when I was young.

h69

Post by h69 »

BlackDiamond wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:40 pm
h69 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:10 pm

Agree.

Money has created an entertainment spectacle for the Chinese and the sofa surfers but ruined the game as a sport.
I would say the money into football has improved every aspect of the game both on and off the pitch. And this is true in any sector and by any measurement.

When people say it was better years ago, what they are really saying, it was better when I was young.
Depends what you look for in the game.

It was better when it was a sport and most teams had a chance of winning something. I dont see it as so competitive any longer really. Its a lovely spectacle with shiny new grounds and carpet like pitches, games on every day, Red Mondays and Super Sundays. Its all a bit false for me.

I preferred games in the old days because the atmosphere was better in the stadia and players seemed to hold less of the cards, KO times were much better, the sport was accessible to more to watch live at a reasonable price and players had a bit more character about them. Now they are all like Robots.

Each to their own but like I have said before, it is too much geared towards armchair fans now and teams have little to play for other than staying up unless they are owned by Oil Billionaires

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Shortshanks wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:49 am How did the money Man C paid for De Bruyne help rejuvenate a part of town ? Absolute load of bollocks not supported by any facts.
It obviously didn't. But the money they spent on their training complex and other facilities did.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Shortshanks

Post by Shortshanks »

Whiskyman wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:01 pm
Shortshanks wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:49 am How did the money Man C paid for De Bruyne help rejuvenate a part of town ? Absolute load of bollocks not supported by any facts.
It obviously didn't. But the money they spent on their training complex and other facilities did.
Who exactly did that benefit ? Of course it wasn't off set against any tax liability ? You are entitled to your opinion but as far as I'm concerned and I live in the real world it was a piece of useless lazy journalism and total bollocks in my opinion

Shortshanks

Post by Shortshanks »

"When people say it was better years ago, what they are really saying, it was better when I was young". No they are saying exactly what they say because they are able to make a comparison that younger people are unable to make.

Flairon

Post by Flairon »

I generally like M s, but I cannot agree with all of that article.
Flairon