Arsenal vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
User avatar
Clayton
Posts: 5949
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:29 pm
x 45
x 57

Re: Arsenal vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Post by Clayton »

Castiron wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:44 am
Clayton wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:11 am


Just a shame we haven't got a striker and left and right wing forward or whatever Bowen and Fornals were last night , don't get me wrong thought they did well at times but just wish they could be more clinical with the chances they had .
Can't knock Antonio, he's been great for us and got the goal, but the two Chances he had, one on the line and one off the bar, Soucek was probably better placed and would have buried at least one imo.
"I can knock Antonio" , got to love his energy , determination and endeavour , but and a big but the guy lacks technique and skill in front of goal , and most of the time the man is floundering , like a fish out of water. ( And don't say if he had the skill he wouldn't be at West Ham , because how would you know that ) .

User avatar
Whiskyman
Posts: 11457
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:05 pm
x 37
x 223

Re: Arsenal vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Post by Whiskyman »

Mancunian Hammer wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:56 pm
Moyes seems to be getting a fair bit of stick here, for me we were the better side particularly in the second half. When I saw the line up and tactics I was cursing him but have to admit his tactics worked well and it was a couple of lapses from the players which cost us the game. I think he deserves some credit. No new signings, promising youngster sold. I have always found him negative and uninspiring but if he gets things largely right you have to give him a break. Nobody has been looking forward to this season with many predicting relegation but I think our starting 11 is better than a lot of other teams in the league. We need a couple of additions. The full backs are poor, Fornals looks like he’s running in treacle and unlike most I’m doubtful that Haller is going to produce for us. Let’s look on the bright side, Bowen looks lively, Antonio despite his often highlighted shortcomings is incredibly effective. Soucek is a great engine and will score with his head, Ogbonna looks great and we have some technically decent players on the bench if Moyes would only use them now and then. Let’s not resign ourselves to championship football just yet.
The reason Moyes is getting criticism is down to his tactical choices. Unbelievably the game was there for the winning yesterday and yet it wasn't until Arsenal scored the winner that he showed an element of positivity, bringing on Haller & Anderson. You mention Fornals looks like he is running in treacle. Fornals doesn't have pace but he isn't the only player not blessed with speed. He does however usually find a team mate with his passes and in our good spell at the end of last season was involved in many of our goals. But he isn't a fucking winger, so why play him there ? He is a number 10 and should be used in that role as he is, from what I can see, the only player in yesterday's team with the ability to create openings for the front players.

His persistence in playing Mark Noble is another thing that confuses many people, including me. I felt yesterday we looked much more fluid than when Noble is in the side and I'd be prepared to bet good money he'll be back in the starting line up next week. Another glaring weakness is Fredericks. I know he is credited with an assist yesterday but, ffs, defensively the bloke is utter pants. His awareness of things happening around him is , frankly, non existent. If Moyes doesn't have faith in Johnson then play Bowen/Antonio on the right side. Bowen is more switched on defensively than Fredericks so what's to lose ?
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

User avatar
Shortshanks
Posts: 1377
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:54 pm
x 51
x 54

Re: Arsenal vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Post by Shortshanks »

Mancunian Hammer wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:56 pm
Moyes seems to be getting a fair bit of stick here, for me we were the better side particularly in the second half. When I saw the line up and tactics I was cursing him but have to admit his tactics worked well and it was a couple of lapses from the players which cost us the game. I think he deserves some credit. No new signings, promising youngster sold. I have always found him negative and uninspiring but if he gets things largely right you have to give him a break. Nobody has been looking forward to this season with many predicting relegation but I think our starting 11 is better than a lot of other teams in the league. We need a couple of additions. The full backs are poor, Fornals looks like he’s running in treacle and unlike most I’m doubtful that Haller is going to produce for us. Let’s look on the bright side, Bowen looks lively, Antonio despite his often highlighted shortcomings is incredibly effective. Soucek is a great engine and will score with his head, Ogbonna looks great and we have some technically decent players on the bench if Moyes would only use them now and then. Let’s not resign ourselves to championship football just yet.
How can you give credit for the lineup unless of course he was the one that injured Noble. If Moyes had his way Mr West Ham would have been playing and more than likely we would have been annihilated. No coincidence that Chelsea last year and now Arsenal were better performances than what we have come to expect. You say yourself we have some technically decent players on the bench so why doesn't he as you say use them instead of letting a game get away from us. Newcastle result today shows what a terrible result last week was for us against a side who will struggle to stay up. Moyes will revert to that lineup and tactics next game unless a divine miracle intervenes.

User avatar
Dwayne Pipes
Posts: 3909
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:46 pm
x 43
x 283

Re: Arsenal vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Fucking Brighton showing the Geordie cunts up as how fucking shit they really are ,shows us up as a poor over cautious side with that cunt in charge.

User avatar
Castiron
Posts: 3724
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 6:22 pm
x 59
x 110

Re: Arsenal vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Post by Castiron »

Clayton wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:32 pm
Castiron wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:44 am

Can't knock Antonio, he's been great for us and got the goal, but the two Chances he had, one on the line and one off the bar, Soucek was probably better placed and would have buried at least one imo.
"I can knock Antonio" , got to love his energy , determination and endeavour , but and a big but the guy lacks technique and skill in front of goal , and most of the time the man is floundering , like a fish out of water. ( And don't say if he had the skill he wouldn't be at West Ham , because how would you know that ) .
For someone who's got no skill in front of goal, he's scored a lot of goals for us, and important ones. Kept us up, but still he's no good for some.
He scared the life out of the Arsenal centre backs, not bad for a winger.

User avatar
Mancunian Hammer
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:59 pm
x 2

Re: Arsenal vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Post by Mancunian Hammer »

Whiskyman wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:42 pm
Mancunian Hammer wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:56 pm
Moyes seems to be getting a fair bit of stick here, for me we were the better side particularly in the second half. When I saw the line up and tactics I was cursing him but have to admit his tactics worked well and it was a couple of lapses from the players which cost us the game. I think he deserves some credit. No new signings, promising youngster sold. I have always found him negative and uninspiring but if he gets things largely right you have to give him a break. Nobody has been looking forward to this season with many predicting relegation but I think our starting 11 is better than a lot of other teams in the league. We need a couple of additions. The full backs are poor, Fornals looks like he’s running in treacle and unlike most I’m doubtful that Haller is going to produce for us. Let’s look on the bright side, Bowen looks lively, Antonio despite his often highlighted shortcomings is incredibly effective. Soucek is a great engine and will score with his head, Ogbonna looks great and we have some technically decent players on the bench if Moyes would only use them now and then. Let’s not resign ourselves to championship football just yet.
The reason Moyes is getting criticism is down to his tactical choices. Unbelievably the game was there for the winning yesterday and yet it wasn't until Arsenal scored the winner that he showed an element of positivity, bringing on Haller & Anderson. You mention Fornals looks like he is running in treacle. Fornals doesn't have pace but he isn't the only player not blessed with speed. He does however usually find a team mate with his passes and in our good spell at the end of last season was involved in many of our goals. But he isn't a fucking winger, so why play him there ? He is a number 10 and should be used in that role as he is, from what I can see, the only player in yesterday's team with the ability to create openings for the front players.

His persistence in playing Mark Noble is another thing that confuses many people, including me. I felt yesterday we looked much more fluid than when Noble is in the side and I'd be prepared to bet good money he'll be back in the starting line up next week. Another glaring weakness is Fredericks. I know he is credited with an assist yesterday but, ffs, defensively the bloke is utter pants. His awareness of things happening around him is , frankly, non existent. If Moyes doesn't have faith in Johnson then play Bowen/Antonio on the right side. Bowen is more switched on defensively than Fredericks so what's to lose ?

I thought Moyes got his tactics right and we were very unlucky to lose the game, he minimised how poor our full backs are and we were able to mix it with a side that were supposedly vastly superior. Yes it is time for Noble to be phased out of the team. Cannot make any case for Fornals, he works hard and can pass the ball but he is not just lacking in pace he is outright slow, really slow, I’d prefer someone at number 10 who can beat a man. Not sure what Antonio has got to do to get the credit he deserves he has been absolutely outstanding for us and has led the line brilliantly and scored goals but he will always seems to get a lot of hate from the fans. I don’t think we are as bad as some are saying and the game yesterday could have gone the other way. Im not saying Moyes is some kind of genius but feel he will be slated whether we win, lose or draw, whether we play well or we are poor.

User avatar
Whiskyman
Posts: 11457
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:05 pm
x 37
x 223

Re: Arsenal vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Post by Whiskyman »

Mancunian Hammer wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:56 pm
Whiskyman wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:42 pm


The reason Moyes is getting criticism is down to his tactical choices. Unbelievably the game was there for the winning yesterday and yet it wasn't until Arsenal scored the winner that he showed an element of positivity, bringing on Haller & Anderson. You mention Fornals looks like he is running in treacle. Fornals doesn't have pace but he isn't the only player not blessed with speed. He does however usually find a team mate with his passes and in our good spell at the end of last season was involved in many of our goals. But he isn't a fucking winger, so why play him there ? He is a number 10 and should be used in that role as he is, from what I can see, the only player in yesterday's team with the ability to create openings for the front players.

His persistence in playing Mark Noble is another thing that confuses many people, including me. I felt yesterday we looked much more fluid than when Noble is in the side and I'd be prepared to bet good money he'll be back in the starting line up next week. Another glaring weakness is Fredericks. I know he is credited with an assist yesterday but, ffs, defensively the bloke is utter pants. His awareness of things happening around him is , frankly, non existent. If Moyes doesn't have faith in Johnson then play Bowen/Antonio on the right side. Bowen is more switched on defensively than Fredericks so what's to lose ?

I thought Moyes got his tactics right and we were very unlucky to lose the game, he minimised how poor our full backs are and we were able to mix it with a side that were supposedly vastly superior. Yes it is time for Noble to be phased out of the team. Cannot make any case for Fornals, he works hard and can pass the ball but he is not just lacking in pace he is outright slow, really slow, I’d prefer someone at number 10 who can beat a man. Not sure what Antonio has got to do to get the credit he deserves he has been absolutely outstanding for us and has led the line brilliantly and scored goals but he will always seems to get a lot of hate from the fans. I don’t think we are as bad as some are saying and the game yesterday could have gone the other way. Im not saying Moyes is some kind of genius but feel he will be slated whether we win, lose or draw, whether we play well or we are poor.
We will have to agree to disagree on the merits or otherwise of individual players but were we unlucky to lose ? I believe you make your own luck and, whilst I agree we were, particularly in the second half, the better side, we had two very decent chances, Antonio and Bowen, which were missed and our most highly rated player made a basic error which led to Arsenal's first goal. That isn't bad luck, it's bad football.

As for Moyes tactics I felt pesonally that his initial strategy was sound. He probably felt, as we all did, that Arsenal were the better team with the better players and so set up to cancel out that advantage. However once it became apparent we were bossing the game I felt we could and should have been more offensive. Of course that could have backfired, we'll never know, but our weakness up front can't be disputed because, despite our superiority in the second half, do you recall Leno having to make one worthwhile save in the match ? I don't.

So I hope Moyes and the team haven't spent the weekend whining about bad luck but have looked at the positives that came out of the game and then started to identify the weaknesses that prevented us turning those positives into points. If that makes sense. But given past history and the West Ham culture of accepting the mundane I won''t be holding my breath.
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

User avatar
terrya1965
Posts: 5944
Joined: Sun May 29, 2016 8:48 pm
x 186
x 170

Re: Arsenal vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Post by terrya1965 »

Whiskyman wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:18 pm
Mancunian Hammer wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:56 pm



I thought Moyes got his tactics right and we were very unlucky to lose the game, he minimised how poor our full backs are and we were able to mix it with a side that were supposedly vastly superior. Yes it is time for Noble to be phased out of the team. Cannot make any case for Fornals, he works hard and can pass the ball but he is not just lacking in pace he is outright slow, really slow, I’d prefer someone at number 10 who can beat a man. Not sure what Antonio has got to do to get the credit he deserves he has been absolutely outstanding for us and has led the line brilliantly and scored goals but he will always seems to get a lot of hate from the fans. I don’t think we are as bad as some are saying and the game yesterday could have gone the other way. Im not saying Moyes is some kind of genius but feel he will be slated whether we win, lose or draw, whether we play well or we are poor.
We will have to agree to disagree on the merits or otherwise of individual players but were we unlucky to lose ? I believe you make your own luck and, whilst I agree we were, particularly in the second half, the better side, we had two very decent chances, Antonio and Bowen, which were missed and our most highly rated player made a basic error which led to Arsenal's first goal. That isn't bad luck, it's bad football.

As for Moyes tactics I felt pesonally that his initial strategy was sound. He probably felt, as we all did, that Arsenal were the better team with the better players and so set up to cancel out that advantage. However once it became apparent we were bossing the game I felt we could and should have been more offensive. Of course that could have backfired, we'll never know, but our weakness up front can't be disputed because, despite our superiority in the second half, do you recall Leno having to make one worthwhile save in the match ? I don't.

So I hope Moyes and the team haven't spent the weekend whining about bad luck but have looked at the positives that came out of the game and then started to identify the weaknesses that prevented us turning those positives into points. If that makes sense. But given past history and the West Ham culture of accepting the mundane I won''t be holding my breath.
Arsenal played shit and still won the game.It was similar back in March.

User avatar
Whiskyman
Posts: 11457
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:05 pm
x 37
x 223

Re: Arsenal vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Post by Whiskyman »

terrya1965 wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:34 pm
Whiskyman wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:18 pm


We will have to agree to disagree on the merits or otherwise of individual players but were we unlucky to lose ? I believe you make your own luck and, whilst I agree we were, particularly in the second half, the better side, we had two very decent chances, Antonio and Bowen, which were missed and our most highly rated player made a basic error which led to Arsenal's first goal. That isn't bad luck, it's bad football.

As for Moyes tactics I felt pesonally that his initial strategy was sound. He probably felt, as we all did, that Arsenal were the better team with the better players and so set up to cancel out that advantage. However once it became apparent we were bossing the game I felt we could and should have been more offensive. Of course that could have backfired, we'll never know, but our weakness up front can't be disputed because, despite our superiority in the second half, do you recall Leno having to make one worthwhile save in the match ? I don't.

So I hope Moyes and the team haven't spent the weekend whining about bad luck but have looked at the positives that came out of the game and then started to identify the weaknesses that prevented us turning those positives into points. If that makes sense. But given past history and the West Ham culture of accepting the mundane I won''t be holding my breath.
Arsenal played shit and still won the game.It was similar back in March.
That's true. But I thought yesterday's game, certainly from our point of view apart from the result, was better. Last March both sides were shit as I recall.
And Arsenal won the game because during the 90 minutes they played Lacazette, Aubameyang and Nketiah. all strikers. We played Antonio and brought on Haller for 3 minutes or so just before the final whistle.
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

User avatar
palerider
Posts: 10293
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:35 am
Location: Huish Episcopi
x 78
x 196

Re: Arsenal vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Post by palerider »

Sour grapes ?

No. Because Moyes brought that defeat on himself, the negative cunt.

But if the penalty given against Lindelof is now the new law, it beggars belief that West Ham weren't awarded one.
The cheque's in the post. Honestly.

Post Reply