Charlton Game Streamed

Chat about anything football related here!

Carabao Cup match is £10 (TEN POUNDS) to stream tomorrow. Will you be paying?

Yes: I will be paying
No votes
No: I wont be paying but will be watching ;-)
35%
No: I wont be paying and not watching it
65%

Total votes: 17

only1salty

Re: Charlton Game Streamed

Post by only1salty »

I actually work for a company that owns media and broadband companies and it has been the subject of heated debates in the strategy area - pay per view streamed football.

I have always been on the side of not paying through the nose for streamed football. If the price was reasonable then think people will pay (putting our complete pile of dung to one side for a while) but I can get Netflix for £8 ish per MONTH and a PPV movie on Amazon for less than £5.

People will always stream from other sources but if you make it cheap enough think many more people would stream legally.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

only1salty wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:30 pm I actually work for a company that owns media and broadband companies and it has been the subject of heated debates in the strategy area - pay per view streamed football.

I have always been on the side of not paying through the nose for streamed football. If the price was reasonable then think people will pay (putting our complete pile of dung to one side for a while) but I can get Netflix for £8 ish per MONTH and a PPV movie on Amazon for less than £5.

People will always stream from other sources but if you make it cheap enough think many more people would stream legally.
Suppose it depends what we consider a reasonable price. The movie price of £5 for a film compares to, what, around £15 each for a cinema ticket when you've factored in the popcorn and the ice cream and of course the whole family can watch for the £5.

So on that basis I'd say £10 a game isn't unreasonable. In fact I think that's the rate the EFL set for clubs to charge for watching their games.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

only1salty

Post by only1salty »

Not seen any numbers on uptake though. You can charge £10 a match but if only 100 people pay it then it won’t cover production costs.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

only1salty wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:42 am Not seen any numbers on uptake though. You can charge £10 a match but if only 100 people pay it then it won’t cover production costs.
I've no idea how the EFL operate it, or indeed if it's down to individual clubs themselves. But of course you're right. The take up numbers would, presumably, have to reach a certain level to break even. And production costs would, presumably, apply to every match streamed with relatively low interest which would only be from supporters of the participating clubs.

Would be interesting to see what the viewing figured were for the first batch of games last weekend.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?