China can't or won't pay

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

Re: China can't or won't pay

Post by Whiskyman »

h69 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:16 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:05 pm

Only ever went on one actual "football special". That was up to Sunderland at Roker Park. As you say we went through the main Sunderland station and left the train at Seaham, or Seaforth I think it was called and made the 15/20 minute walk to the ground, complete with attendant police chaperones.

We won the game 2-0 and, a sign of the times, we were told to pull the window blinds down as it was expected the train would get bombarded until we were clear of Sunderland itself. But the journey back passed off without incident.
Seaburn. That must have been a posh train because I dont remember that many with blinds :lol:
Seaburn, that's it. Posh it was not but it was as cheap as chips if I remember correctly.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

h69

Post by h69 »

Whiskyman wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:38 pm
h69 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:16 pm

Seaburn. That must have been a posh train because I dont remember that many with blinds :lol:
Seaburn, that's it. Posh it was not but it was as cheap as chips if I remember correctly.
Yes....specials were about a tenner to get up North when I travelled.....15 quid for NE.

Seaburn was right on the coast and a right dump from what I remember of it.

Flairon

Post by Flairon »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:24 am
Flairon wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:13 am

Because of it's history. As the oldest domestic cup competition in the world it is engrained in the history of the game and has entertained millions over the years. It is an institution and warrants respect.
I must agree to differ. Respect has nothing to do with age. And whether we like it or not today's football watching public have little regard for it until the latter stages. There will always be massive interest when a genuine "minnow" gets a plum draw against a "name" club but that rarely happens because most of the minnows have gone out before the 3rd round.

It's a sign of the times. Back in 1980 cup final tickets were like gold dust. I was a ST holder back then and so got one easily but I had to pay a lot of dough to get a couple of tickets for 2 young neighbours who used to come with me to some of the home games. But fast forward to 2006 (OK it wasn't Wembley which might have made a difference) and I got 3 extra ones for just a little over cost price. I still get asked for them today by various people and they can be picked up at cost with no effort at all. Which speaks volumes imo.
And disagree we must. The history of the cup is something to take pride in as far as I am concerned. Whilst some clubs do not take the earlier rounds seriously, ultimately they all want to win it and the fans all live a good cup run.
Flairon