China can't or won't pay

Chat about anything football related here!
Dwayne Pipes

Re: China can't or won't pay

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Let’s be honest who actually gives a fuck about the cup final these days apart obviously the two teams fans and football addicts, in the pubs it’s just a bit of background interest and maybe a flutter.
Haven’t seen or been interested in one for fucking years me.
As for fucking China and the whole Sky thing hope the fucking wheels fall off.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

BlackDiamond wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:52 am
terrya1965 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:42 am

Yeah you are right,but it`s only because the owners made it like that.The money from the PL was the most important thing and the Cup never had the same financial gain.
Managers were forced to play weaker teams,as it was financially better for a club to finish 2 places higher than win the cup,therefore starting playing weaker teams.Relegation was a big no no.
Think of the time we got relegated in 1978,we kept the likes of Brooking and Bonds,because it wasn`t about money.It was a sport,now football is big business.

Man U pulled out of the FA Cup in 2000,because of the money they would make in the World Club Championship.Money killed the FA Cup,NOTHING ELSE.
I think Sky played a big part in reducing the live accessibility and if you do that then general interest wanes. Prior to Sky, ITV did a very good job in cheapening the coverage and reputation with its naff TV model.

The BBC have recently tried to restore the competitions allure, but it's been long lost,trampled away by years of inferior broadcasting.
Don't get your point about Sky reducing the live accessibility tbh. I think I'm right saying that F A Cup games are shown live on both Sky and BBC and that they start the coverage very early in the competition so you could get a match between Duck Pond Wanderers and Little Trumpington Casuals.

There'll still be some neutral interest when someone like Little Trumpington make it through to the third round and get drawn against a "name" but otherwise there's little interest apart from the fans of the participating clubs.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Dwayne Pipes wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:18 pm Let’s be honest who actually gives a fuck about the cup final these days apart obviously the two teams fans and football addicts, in the pubs it’s just a bit of background interest and maybe a flutter.
Did you use to do give a f*ck?

Would you give a f*ck now if we reached the FA Cup Final now?

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

terrya1965 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:11 pm
Dwayne Pipes wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:18 pm Let’s be honest who actually gives a fuck about the cup final these days apart obviously the two teams fans and football addicts, in the pubs it’s just a bit of background interest and maybe a flutter.

Course I fucking did.

Course I would it’s my fucking team.

No interest watching rent boys the arseholes Bindippers or fucking Mancs swanning round Wembley.

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Dwayne Pipes wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:44 pm
terrya1965 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:11 pm

Course I fucking did.

No interest watching rent boys the arseholes Bindippers or fucking Mancs swanning round Wembley.
I don`t disagree,but it`s the PL money that has made it that way Dwayne.

FA Cup third Round day was one of the days you looked forward to in the season.We all dreamed"Could we be at Wembley in May lifting the Cup?"

The PL took that magic away,because the owners outside the top 4,5 or 6, told their managers,staying in the PL is what counts,so forget the Cups.That`s where we are..It`s not sport no more,it`s business.I know people may think I am crazy,but I would love the PL to go bust.

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

terrya1965 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:07 pm
Course I fucking did.

FA Cup third Round day was one of the days you looked forward to in the season.We all dreamed"Could we be at Wembley in May lifting the Cup?"

The PL took that magic away,because the owners outside the top 4,5 or 6, told their managers,staying in the PL is what counts,so forget the Cups.That`s where we are..It`s not sport no more,it`s business.I know people may think I am crazy,but I would love the PL to go bust.
Nostalgia ain’t what it used to be Tel.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Course I fucking did.

Just out of interest. Purely hypothetically if you were able to choose between winning the F A Cup, with NO European place, or a fourth place finish and a crack at the Champions League, what would you choose? I'm quite happy to say I'd prefer the opportunity of watching my club in action on the continent against some of the best teams in the world than a Saturday afternoon at Wembley.

Thoroughly enjoyed my last experience of us winning at Wembley (1980) but in all honesty the 2006 final, although it was by common consent the best F A Cup final for years, just didn't get me motivated. Sign of the times I guess.

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Whiskyman wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:14 pm

Just out of interest. Purely hypothetically if you were able to choose between winning the F A Cup, with NO European place, or a fourth place finish and a crack at the Champions League, what would you choose? I'm quite happy to say I'd prefer the opportunity of watching my club in action on the continent against some of the best teams in the world than a Saturday afternoon at Wembley.

Thoroughly enjoyed my last experience of us winning at Wembley (1980) but in all honesty the 2006 final, although it was by common consent the best F A Cup final for years, just didn't get me motivated. Sign of the times I guess.

If you got into the Champions League,it would mean your club is one of the better team in that League..Maybe success will follow and you could go onto win an FA Cup.

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Dwayne Pipes wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:33 pm

Nostalgia ain’t what it used to be Tel.
I was listening to Eddie Piller(Acid Jazz co founder) on Talksport this morning..His an Orient supporter and he was talking with fondness,about the O's reaching the Semi-Final in 1978.I really enjoyed his interview.His favorite player was our own Billy Bonds.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

terrya1965 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:00 am
Whiskyman wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:14 pm

If you got into the Champions League,it would mean your club is one of the better team in that League..Maybe success will follow and you could go onto win an FA Cup.
You avoided my "either/or" question very neatly there old chap. ;) Doesb't necessarily mean you are one of the best (consistently) teams if you qualify for the CL. Leicester proved that a few seasons back and but for Andy Carroll's stupidity, oddly enough at Leicester, we could have squeaked fourth place and a crack at the CL.

So your choice is an F A Cup win, but WITHOUT the Europa League qualification it actually gets , or fourth place and entry to the CL.

No fence sitting please.