Is it time to look for a Fabianski replacement?

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

Re: Is it time to look for a Fabianski replacement?

Post by Whiskyman »

Newmarket wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:58 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:14 pm

Since we had Phil Parkes (showing my age) and Ludek Miklosko I'd guess.

No keeper is perfect and if a keeper makes a mistake it's 99% certain it ends up as a goal. Fabianski has been excellent but without really trying I can recall three games, Brighton, Liverpool at Anfield and Villa where elementary mistakes have been costly. And I don't remember too many occasions in 2018/19 where he cost us. Which I'm guessing is why th OP asked the question.
You’re correct of course and hopefully Flappy will be good for the next year or two but surely it’s just basic football management that once your keeper gets to a certain age you plan and budget for his eventual replacement ?

Or is that too easy for West Ham ?
I guess the problem for clubs at our level is that a decent keeper won't want to sit on his arse, apart from cup matches, as a stand by. At least an outfield player on the bench has got a chance of being put out on the pitch but that's not so for keepers.

And as you suggest planning for the future doesn't seem to be in the club's DNA. Decisions always seem to be made on the knee jerk principle.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

palerider

Post by palerider »

I'm not sure fabs does have another season or two in him tbh. That bad injury took it's toll and he's not been the same since.

The Grealish goal was as bad as it gets for a PL keeper.

The problem is, if the Chuckles don't sell Rice they've not got a pot to piss in realistically. Some wheeling and dealing here and there, but not forking out 20m for a keeper so I suspect that for next season at least we'll have to make do with what we have.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

palerider wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:21 am I'm not sure fabs does have another season or two in him tbh. That bad injury took it's toll and he's not been the same since.

The Grealish goal was as bad as it gets for a PL keeper.

The problem is, if the Chuckles don't sell Rice they've not got a pot to piss in realistically. Some wheeling and dealing here and there, but not forking out 20m for a keeper so I suspect that for next season at least we'll have to make do with what we have.
There do seem to be a lot of keepers making an unexpectedly high number of errors of late. Apart from the questions some of us have about Fabianski, David deGea hjas come in for a lot of clog from Man United fans, Chelsea seem ready to ditch the keeper they broke the world record to bring in, Jordan Pickford seems to have been found out and is getting criticised by a lot of Everton fans, and I seem to remember earlier in the season Hugo Lloris was getting pelters from Spurs fans.

And whilst I agree the goal Fabianski let past him on Sunday was bad I can't agree with your assessment that it was as bad as it gets. Imo that accolade has to go with his very unfortunate performance at Anfield, which was as bad, if not worse, than anything Roberto served up.

Hopefully he will go on to prove the old saying about form being temporary but class being permanent to be correct.

Flairon

Post by Flairon »

I certainly believe we should be looking for a younger keeper who can seriously challenge him for the No. 1 spot rather than just a back up keeper in case of emergencies.
Flairon

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Flairon wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:17 am I certainly believe we should be looking for a younger keeper who can seriously challenge him for the No. 1 spot rather than just a back up keeper in case of emergencies.
That's where Nathan Trott is meant to come in He is tall,strong,athletic...and should have all the attributes. I bet he can save a shot fired straight at him from 20 yards...

Hammertime

Post by Hammertime »

only1salty wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:09 pm Did you miss the Grealish goal that went straight through him 2 days ago?

Randolph is shit. Was the first time round - not got better despite the fact we got him for free because the team we sold him to no longer wanted to pay for him!
I couldn't tell if that was deflected off Fredericks, who was backing off Grealish in the box (if you really want to find the mistake in that goal) but Fabs was wrong footed as the ball was blasted from that range and looked foolish trying to right himself. The fact that he was guarding the near post suggests to me that there was deflection, either way I'm not going to write him off after the great run of from he had in the run-in and call him over-the-hill, that would be way too premature.
#fuckqatar2022

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Hammertime wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:23 pm
only1salty wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:09 pm Did you miss the Grealish goal that went straight through him 2 days ago?

Randolph is shit. Was the first time round - not got better despite the fact we got him for free because the team we sold him to no longer wanted to pay for him!
I couldn't tell if that was deflected off Fredericks, who was backing off Grealish in the box (if you really want to find the mistake in that goal) but Fabs was wrong footed as the ball was blasted from that range and looked foolish trying to right himself. The fact that he was guarding the near post suggests to me that there was deflection, either way I'm not going to write him off after the great run of from he had in the run-in and call him over-the-hill, that would be way too premature.
I don't think anyone's writing him off. But we are questioning his most recent performances. Apart from Villa the home game against Brighton and his meltdown at Liverpool.

Like yourself I hope his form and consistency return next season but I still feel the question is a valid one.

Towie

Post by Towie »

Off course ha has made mistakes, so has de Gea and he was red Mancs player of the season last few years.

The problem is with age he will make more as his body will not be able to cope, we definately need a younger version.
As said though this is not the priority, and if you watched the Play off game tonight the Brentford LB Rico Henry looks a player as does their CF Ollie Watkins.
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

BCHammer

Post by BCHammer »

Yes, we can probably get by next season, but that is West Ham, we are always just getting by.

We have two promising young keepers plus we brought in the Hungarian guy Hegyi who is supposed to be a decent prospect.

Martin & Roberto are gone, so get rid of Randolph and have one of Trott or Anang on the bench and to play our cup games.

Loan out the other to get experience.

Flairon

Post by Flairon »

BlackDiamond wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:39 pm
Flairon wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:17 am I certainly believe we should be looking for a younger keeper who can seriously challenge him for the No. 1 spot rather than just a back up keeper in case of emergencies.
That's where Nathan Trott is meant to come in He is tall,strong,athletic...and should have all the attributes. I bet he can save a shot fired straight at him from 20 yards...
Is he reading to step up and compete for a starting spot.
Flairon