Official Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
terrya1965

Re: If we stay up what changes would you make to the squad?

Post by terrya1965 »

There is no doubt,we do have a few decent players.

Anderson,Lanzini,Rice,Bowen,Diop,Fabianski and Ogbonna are all decent,but it seems the attitude of some don`t help us at all.Some are just quite happy picking up their pay packet.(first 2 come to mind).I don't think we are getting the same professionalism like you should and would do at other clubs

If you are not all singing from the same Hymn sheet,you will struggle.Think that has been happening quite a while at West Ham.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

terrya1965 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:46 pm There is no doubt,we do have a few decent players.

Anderson,Lanzini,Rice,Bowen,Diop,Fabianski and Ogbonna are all decent,but it seems the attitude of some don`t help us at all.Some are just quite happy picking up their pay packet.(first 2 come to mind).I don't think we are getting the same professionalism like you should and would do at other clubs

If you are not all singing from the same Hymn sheet,you will struggle.Think that has been happening quite a while at West Ham.
But hasn't it always been like that at West Ham Terry ? The club has never had any ambition. I seriously regret having become attached to the club in my younger years. Not because I want to see the club I support winning trophies every season, but the least I expect from anything I'm involved with is ambition to improve. I can live with failure, that's part of life. But not trying to improve your lot and just, well, bumbling along making up the numbers. That, in my book, is nothing short of pathetic.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Whiskyman wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:11 pm
terrya1965 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:46 pm There is no doubt,we do have a few decent players.

But hasn't it always been like that at West Ham Terry ? The club has never had any ambition. I seriously regret having become attached to the club in my younger years. Not because I want to see the club I support winning trophies every season, but the least I expect from anything I'm involved with is ambition to improve. I can live with failure, that's part of life. But not trying to improve your lot and just, well, bumbling along making up the numbers. That, in my book, is nothing short of pathetic.
At least we were a lot better in the 1960's to the 1980's..We won trophies and competed..We never won the League,but at least we topped the table occasionally.Now we got to be happy just to be in the PL...Cups,wtf are they,this day and age?..Success for us is 16th in the PL NOW.
Thing is,the teams we compete with down at the bottom,don`t get 60,000 every week and spend silly wages on either has beens or Johnny foreigner turning up for a big pay day.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

terrya1965 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:49 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:11 pm

At least we were a lot better in the 1960's to the 1980's..We won trophies and competed..We never won the League,but at least we topped the table occasionally.Now we got to be happy just to be in the PL...Cups,wtf are they,this day and age?..Success for us is 16th in the PL NOW.
Thing is,the teams we compete with down at the bottom,don`t get 60,000 every week and spend silly wages on either has beens or Johnny foreigner turning up for a big pay day.
60s is a bit early for me as I didn't really start getting involved until my early teens (early 70s) and I agree the 80s team was a bloody good watch. But the year after our best ever when we finished third it dawned on me that I was supporting a football club that totally lacked any ambition to achieve anything. The one thing above all others that did it for me was the sale of Paul Goddard.

Like I say failure's OK if you fail trying. But when you shrug your shoulders and don't even fucking bother that is inexcusable. Tbh I should have given the fucking club up there and then. But I was a mug and put up with the ethos of failure and making up the numbers (and that FUCKING SONG which almost celebrates it) for the next 20 years plus until I eventually binned my STs.

What a silly cunt I was. ;)

palerider

Post by palerider »

Whiskyman wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:18 am
terrya1965 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:49 pm

60s is a bit early for me as I didn't really start getting involved until my early teens (early 70s) and I agree the 80s team was a bloody good watch. But the year after our best ever when we finished third it dawned on me that I was supporting a football club that totally lacked any ambition to achieve anything. The one thing above all others that did it for me was the sale of Paul Goddard.

Like I say failure's OK if you fail trying. But when you shrug your shoulders and don't even fucking bother that is inexcusable. Tbh I should have given the fucking club up there and then. But I was a mug and put up with the ethos of failure and making up the numbers (and that FUCKING SONG which almost celebrates it) for the next 20 years plus until I eventually binned my STs.

Like yourself I found the lack of ambition, pretty much since I started being aware of the way the club was run, inexcusable, but unlike yourself I can never give up on them.

Which seems at odds with my view at the moment, which is to do with giving up on not West Ham as such, but football.

I've watched two games, both on the same day. West Ham v Wolves and Bournemouth v Palace. Since then. zero interest. Others I'm sure have been watching the other strugglers continue to struggle, but I couldn't give a toss. If we go down we go down. I've lived with it before and I will again.

If we stay up nothing will change. Statler and Waldorf will remind us that if you continue to do everything wrong in the same way as has been done in the past it's the definition of insanity. I don't know what a post-Covid world will look like in the football sense but anything different to what we're witnessing at the ILS now will be for the better. Even if it's in the Championship.

I'm praying that for the start of next season, even with no fans, this BLM insanity can stop. If taking the knee is now the norm forever then fuck that. I'll no longer be a football fan. And I won't be alone. White working and middle class fans of sick of the shit will leave in droves and if the PL and it's member clubs think that the leftie activists and the supposedly BAME oppressed will fill the gap they're deluded.

But if reason wins the day, I'll be back on board. Sticking pins in my voodoo dwarf doll and hoping he's in agony.

And looking forward to the team realising you're allowed to cross the half way line.

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

We are were never an ambitious club the previous boards milked money out of the club invested in mediocre has beens ,sold off all our promising youngsters to be replaced by a few dodgy deals and inferior players it’s no wonder we could never compete.
Now we have these two cheapskate cunts that were fucked off by us before because Brown and co didn’t want too many fingers in the pie.
Saved us ,did they bollocks saw an ideal opportunity to make a fucking fortune spin a few yarns and sell our main asset.
Gold the snidey old man play actor and that other odious cunt Sullivan what could possibly go wrong .
Things are only going to get fucking worse if you thought that wasn’t possible
Brace yourselves .

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

palerider wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:04 am
Whiskyman wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:18 am

Like yourself I found the lack of ambition, pretty much since I started being aware of the way the club was run, inexcusable, but unlike yourself I can never give up on them.

Which seems at odds with my view at the moment, which is to do with giving up on not West Ham as such, but football.

I've watched two games, both on the same day. West Ham v Wolves and Bournemouth v Palace. Since then. zero interest. Others I'm sure have been watching the other strugglers continue to struggle, but I couldn't give a toss. If we go down we go down. I've lived with it before and I will again.

If we stay up nothing will change. Statler and Waldorf will remind us that if you continue to do everything wrong in the same way as has been done in the past it's the definition of insanity. I don't know what a post-Covid world will look like in the football sense but anything different to what we're witnessing at the ILS now will be for the better. Even if it's in the Championship.

I'm praying that for the start of next season, even with no fans, this BLM insanity can stop. If taking the knee is now the norm forever then fuck that. I'll no longer be a football fan. And I won't be alone. White working and middle class fans of sick of the shit will leave in droves and if the PL and it's member clubs think that the leftie activists and the supposedly BAME oppressed will fill the gap they're deluded.

But if reason wins the day, I'll be back on board. Sticking pins in my voodoo dwarf doll and hoping he's in agony.

And looking forward to the team realising you're allowed to cross the half way line.
I understand where you're coming from. From my perspective however I find it hard to believe now, in my 60's, that I invested so much time, effort and money watching the team play all over the UK and in some very far flung parts of Europe. I have to say I enjoyed the European trips hugely. Without football I doubt if I'd ever have visited Timisoara and Tbilisi which were both tremendous experiences.

I don't expect success every bloody season. But I think anyone who parts with a not insignificant amount of money and spends a lot of time watching one particular football club is entitled to expect that club will at least aspire to success. In fact even the mentality of some of our fans pisses me off big time and perhaps begins to explain why the club's ambitions have never risen above mere survival. We've all heard them FFS. Revelling in the mediocrity of being a scruffy little East End club and dismissing fans of the more successful ones as "plastics" or "tourists". Don't fucking well tell me that if Abramovich had bought West Ham instead of Chelsea those same knockers wouldn't have been lapping up the successes we would undoubtedly have had. And taking the almighty piss out of our West London neighbours who, when I started watching, were generally considered to be our rivals. A sort of second division Arsenal v Spurs if you like.

Unlike you I couldn't give up on football itself. I love the game too much and one of the biggest thrills in my early life was being offered a youth contract at Luton. OK I wasn't good enough to make the game a career but I had the chance. I still enjoy coaching the kids at the club I'm involved with and, unlike some, I'm happy to watch games not involving West Ham if I think they're going to be decent. I have a soft spot for Barcelona, partly because I've taken all the grandchildren there at different times and always been made to feel very welcome, and watch their games when they don't clash with ours. And I always make a point of watching Manchester City when they're on the box. But unlike your good self I would rather have my eyes gouged out than sit through Bournemouth v Palace.

I guess my general disinterest in all things West Ham at the moment is down to the fact that, as age catches up with me, I'm morphing into the archetypal grumpy old cunt. But, honest, it's nothing to do with a lack of success on the field but to do with an apparent lack of any desire to try and achieve success. Ambition shouldn't be a dirty word. And it wouldn't be right to miss the opportunity of pointing out that having no ambition and singing a dirge about hopes and dreams dying when pursuing an impossible dream probably go hand in hand.
Last edited by Whiskyman on Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Dwayne Pipes wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:45 am We are were never an ambitious club the previous boards milked money out of the club invested in mediocre has beens ,sold off all our promising youngsters to be replaced by a few dodgy deals and inferior players it’s no wonder we could never compete.
Now we have these two cheapskate cunts that were fucked off by us before because Brown and co didn’t want too many fingers in the pie.
Saved us ,did they bollocks saw an ideal opportunity to make a fucking fortune spin a few yarns and sell our main asset.
Gold the snidey old man play actor and that other odious cunt Sullivan what could possibly go wrong .
Things are only going to get fucking worse if you thought that wasn’t possible
Brace yourselves .
Tbf,I do remember us breaking the world record for Goalkeeper in 1979,than we brought Paul Goddard a year later,who the likes of Liverpool,Man U and Arsenal were chasing.We did keep hold of Brooking too,all done in the 2nd tier of Football too.

Terry Brown was just a useless dreadful chairman,who failed at his job terribly..If he`d have picked the right manager,we may have achieved and competed with the very best.The talent we brought through the youth system was phenomenal.Instead we got Relegated.He should have been shot, never mind let near this club again..

Then there are these c*nts...No foundation to what they do..Everything on a wing and a prayer,then they pray and hope.Just here living for the fast buck.

If you would have anyone half decent running this club in the last 30 years,we`d have achieved so much more.Us fans deserve better,but I suppose a lot of other fans will say similar.We have the fan base and the area,where Footballers want to live,but unfortunately,we have had total wankers running our club ,especially the current greedy bastards.

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Tel all this employ from within the club ,bring back ex players old bollocks had definitely held us back as well over the years fresh managers and coaches with new ideas is what we lacked not cheap and cheerful yes men.

Riceascaptain

Post by Riceascaptain »

I've changed my mind about Yarmolenko! KEEP