Official Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

Re: Official Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Post by Whiskyman »

Newmarket wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:41 am
Whiskyman wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:25 am

You are of course right, although I think a comparison with Wolves would be more appropriate. They are a side who have flirted with Europe but having sold Jota and lost Jimenez to an unfortunate serious injury have fallen back into the pack of also rans. Sheffield United were crap last season, imo, even though they finished in the top half of the table. Remember Burnley have also done that in the past.

I tend to look at teams and ask myself which of their players would I like to have in our team. Sheffield United have none that, in all honesty, I would want in the squad, never mind the first team. Even Burnley have Pope. In all honesty looking at our overall squad I would not have expected us to be close to challenging for a CL spot. In fact it still wouldn't surprise me if we missed out on Europe completely. With C & B specs off I don't think our squad is as strong as Everton's or any of the so called Big 6. We have to throw Leicester into the mix because although I think overall we are as strong squad wise as they are they have Vardy and if the can keep him fit he will score the goals to keep them in the Europa League spots imo.

Based on that I'm realistically expecting a finish somewhere between 7th and 9th. As you say that represents a significant improvement on last season. But as for next time round. who knows ? I don't think there's going to be as much transfer money sloshing around because of the financial impact of over 12 months without gate receipts and reduced merchandising turnover so I imagine for a lot of clubs, including us, it's going to be bargain basement time. The good news is that, as Coufal and Soucek prove, there are bargains to be had if you know where to look.
Agree with all of this Mr Whisk.

There are going to be an awful lot of disappointed Hammers at the end of the season I fear.

Human nature I guess , it’s always been a case of how good a season it COULD of been , how much BETTER could the season have been .

Approaching 50 years of supporting this fucking lot ensures that my West Ham glass is usually half empty instead of half full and why I never tend to cream my jeans.
Because I never really believe it’s going to happen until I see it .
And quite frankly , as far as league positioning is concerned, I’ve never seen it .

I don’t count 86 as the soon-to-be-Victims put paid to that.
The inter toto was fun though :D
For me progress isn’t something measured by one season. It’s a year on year thing. We should end up with our best points tally for a while this season, so wherever we finish if we can show further progress next year we should be happy.

But as you say with this lot it always seems to be one step forward then two back. We have to live up to the dirge’s prophecy you know. ;)
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

mkhammer

Re: Official Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Post by mkhammer »

palerider wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:36 pm
mkhammer wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:55 am Thing is you can be disappointed ,but still happy....

I want us to nick 2nd...would love it...CL Spot would be incredible,a Europa place would be great and deserved,and was the
target,for me anyway,so to achieve that is a job done..
So will be disappointed if no top 4,really disappointed at moment,but happy with a 5th/6th maybe 7th Euro Quali...

End up 11/12th be severely fucked off... :lol:
I still maintain that we're not equipped for the European football at the moment. It would be nice of course but as Whiskyman said, not much will be done in the summer transfer-wise, especially us, because of the dried-up income.

Although he also said that Nick Pope would be someone we'd welcome and he's just dived over a shot to put the Arse 1 up as I type.

I suspect they'll finish above us.
Think we're ok to dip our toe in again Pale,begin to start mixing it...bottom rung does me...only thing that pisses me off
is the Thurs/Sunday footie...So CL footie is better... :lol:
Really interested see what the Moyesiah does tho...
We could have some outgoings....maybe 30 mills worth....Lanza,Anderson,Yarmo,maybe Issa and or Balbeuna,(shame those 2
thought they were our CBs for a while),so could be more 40 mill,def that if Issa moves on...but they'll need replacing.
Arthur/Fred...could be quite a clear out.....Cress aint safe,his contract will save him prob,reckon Moyes wants a quality
left back/WB...Zinchenko at City would be nice....
4th to 7th gives us 30 mill upwards .....be extra revenue from Europe...will have crowds back.
So plenty of stuff can be done.....Moyes been pretty impressive with dealings so far,so hopeful...

But we all know the Elephant in the room(sorry Elephants.... :lol: ),when you try and get logical at West Ham.