Official Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

Re: Official Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Post by Whiskyman »

Towie wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:35 pm
terrya1965 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:22 am

I don't think you understand what Dawson brings to the team.

Watch him..Rice/Noble maybe the captains,but his the one that really leads the team.

He is chatting all the time to his team mates.Does Balbuena do that?

Agbonna struggled sometimes with Diop beside him.We conceded a lot of goals when they were together(do your research),but yesterday Diop started a bit slow,but improved has the game went on..Like I said,earlier on in this thread,i think that was Dawson's influence.

In my opinion,we are a better team with him being in the team,than without him.
Think you need to look at what I actually have said, I am not knocking Dawson for what he has done in the team. At the moment he deserves to keep his place.

What I am saying that nobody on here would have thought what a great signing Dawson is for us!

Hindsight is a great thing isn’t it?
But doesn't what you say, which I agree with, prove the average football fan, which is us lot, know a lot less than the people who actually make the decisions.? ;)

Some people would automatically conclude Tarkowski would have been a great signing because of his price tag. And an Englansdd call up or two. Don't believe me ? Look back at the posts around the time we were linked with him.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Towie

Post by Towie »

Whiskyman wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:59 am
Towie wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:35 pm

Think you need to look at what I actually have said, I am not knocking Dawson for what he has done in the team. At the moment he deserves to keep his place.

What I am saying that nobody on here would have thought what a great signing Dawson is for us!

Hindsight is a great thing isn’t it?
But doesn't what you say, which I agree with, prove the average football fan, which is us lot, know a lot less than the people who actually make the decisions.? ;)

Some people would automatically conclude Tarkowski would have been a great signing because of his price tag. And an Englansdd call up or two. Don't believe me ? Look back at the posts around the time we were linked with him.
Indeed, which is why I’m highlighting to HD1 that no one including him would have said what a great signing Dawson will be. HD1 though likes to call people out as though he knew Dawson would be a success here even though Dawson had been relegated two seasons on the trot.

Most fans/supporters would have been underwhelmed with Dawson as a signing.

Also I think most fans would see that as a position CD not a priority, so with £30m been bandied about at that time we are thinking but a LB, buy a RB, buy some Cdm’s and buy a bloody striker!

HD1 though doesn’t seem to get the frustrations of fans with the board, which to me means he is a constant pot smoker or a board member. :lol: ;)
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Towie wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:48 am
Whiskyman wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:59 am

Indeed, which is why I’m highlighting to HD1 that no one including him would have said what a great signing Dawson will be. HD1 though likes to call people out as though he knew Dawson would be a success here even though Dawson had been relegated two seasons on the trot.

Also I think most fans would see that as a position CD not a priority, so with £30m been bandied about at that time we are thinking but a LB, buy a RB, buy some Cdm’s and buy a bloody striker!

HD1 though doesn’t seem to get the frustrations of fans with the board, which to me means he is a constant pot smoker or a board member. :lol: ;)
I've read a few of his posts and he's not pro board as some accuse him of being. I've been called out by Colborne because I've posted criticism about Hammers United on occasions. The problem with a lot of people is that unless you agree 100% with their agenda you are against them. Which is of course utter crap. I usually vote Conservative, but do I agree with every single policy a Conservative government proposes.? Of course I bloody well don't. I think HD1 is as critical of the board as anyone but is probably one of those people who realises that the only thing leaping up and down , stamping your feet is going to achieve is tiring yourself out.

But back to Dawson. I was underwhelmed when he arrived but I couldn't understand why so many were up in armas about his arrival. I thought he'd been signed as cheap emergency cover and unlikely to becomae a regular choice. But like everyone I've been pleasantly surprised by his performances and they've been a big part of our recent form. So Moyes got it right and the rest of us called it wrong. Maybe that happens more often than any of us are prepared to admit. And probably happens on forums of other clubs@ supporters up and down the land as well. ;)

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Whiskyman wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:11 am

I've read a few of his posts and he's not pro board as some accuse him of being. I've been called out by Colborne because I've posted criticism about Hammers United on occasions. The problem with a lot of people is that unless you agree 100% with their agenda you are against them. Which is of course utter crap. I usually vote Conservative, but do I agree with every single policy a Conservative government proposes.? Of course I bloody well don't. I think HD1 is as critical of the board as anyone but is probably one of those people who realises that the only thing leaping up and down , stamping your feet is going to achieve is tiring yourself out.

But back to Dawson. I was underwhelmed when he arrived but I couldn't understand why so many were up in armas about his arrival. I thought he'd been signed as cheap emergency cover and unlikely to becomae a regular choice. But like everyone I've been pleasantly surprised by his performances and they've been a big part of our recent form. So Moyes got it right and the rest of us called it wrong. Maybe that happens more often than any of us are prepared to admit. And probably happens on forums of other clubs@ supporters up and down the land as well. ;)
I was underwhelmed with the Dawson signing as I thought he wouldn't get used much and was unneeded. Plus I hadn't seen him play and relied on the evidence of him being a Watford player of not much reputation.

However the lad has been brilliant for us and one of the most reliable performers. A tremendous no nonsene,no frills defender but solid in his application. Plus he scores headers which is perfect for our method of acquiring goals from dead ball situations.

And his age is an advantage, not a restraint. At 30 years old he probably has 4 more seasons of good service in the pipeline.

Consider a younger alternative. Some expensively acquired 24 year old hot-shot defender who has a great debut season. Would we then sell him on, when the offers came in. Probably.

However with Dawson, nobody is coming in with an offer. That means we can make the transfer permanent for a snip - relative to his cost and his usefulness to us - and have that positioned covered for longer than if we had signed the younger 'hot-shot'

And youth is not as important an attribute at centre back is it...

Towie

Post by Towie »

Whiskyman wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:11 am

I have nothing against HD1, enjoy our friendly banter and reading his posts. You always will need someone to counter argue and will always respect his views no matter how positive he is about everything.

On Dawson We both agree :) I am pleasantly surprised how he has done. Will it continue I’m not convinced.
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

hd1

Post by hd1 »

My smoking pot days are long gone sadly, but I admit I saw Dawson being brought in as cover only (bearing in mind the General is out of contract in the summer), but there is no doubt we all underestimated his ability to bring out the best in the players around him. I will also never believe a word a Watford fan says, ever.

What is clear is that Moyes knows shit loads more than all of us when it comes to both recruitment and getting the best out of players, so if he says he's not going to buy a striker for the sake of it 'just in case' then I'm okay with that, especially when you see the difference Lingard makes to our attack. I have never bought into the GSB offer 10p for a £20m player and that's why we never sign anyone, and I also don't take literally every word that is said either e.g. "We only want to sign young hungry players", which makes it even funnier when you here the whingeing "but they promised...."

I'm a realist, GSB will go when they are ready and not a moment before. No amount of banner waving, black balloons or vanity unions will change that so whilst we all want the same thing don't expect me to support a lost cause.

If and it's a very big IF, we qualify for Europe then it will really test our ability to recruit. Moyes has show he is not afraid to ship players out or sign players we've never heard of, so as the video presenter (on another thread) said let's stop chasing the shiny prize.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

hd1 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:59 pm My smoking pot days are long gone sadly, but I admit I saw Dawson being brought in as cover only (bearing in mind the General is out of contract in the summer), but there is no doubt we all underestimated his ability to bring out the best in the players around him. I will also never believe a word a Watford fan says, ever.

What is clear is that Moyes knows shit loads more than all of us when it comes to both recruitment and getting the best out of players, so if he says he's not going to buy a striker for the sake of it 'just in case' then I'm okay with that, especially when you see the difference Lingard makes to our attack. I have never bought into the GSB offer 10p for a £20m player and that's why we never sign anyone, and I also don't take literally every word that is said either e.g. "We only want to sign young hungry players", which makes it even funnier when you here the whingeing "but they promised...."

I'm a realist, GSB will go when they are ready and not a moment before. No amount of banner waving, black balloons or vanity unions will change that so whilst we all want the same thing don't expect me to support a lost cause.

If and it's a very big IF, we qualify for Europe then it will really test our ability to recruit. Moyes has show he is not afraid to ship players out or sign players we've never heard of, so as the video presenter (on another thread) said let's stop chasing the shiny prize.
Tbh the best we could realistically hope for IF we did happen to qualify for the CL would be a third place finish and a drop into the Europa League. I watch Barcelona games fairly regularly and they were taken to the cleaners by PSG last week. But, trust me, Barcelona would take us to the cleaners. So imagine what a Bayern Munich might do. I remember enjoying one of their performances in North London a season or two back and I wouldn't want the same to happen to us.

Imo better we qualify for the Europa League, get to the knockout stage and then test ourselves against a level of clubs we ought at least to be able to compete with.

Flairon

Re: If we stay up what changes would you make to the squad?

Post by Flairon »

palerider wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:20 am Maximum return for minimum outlay is their mantra.
Well you have to admit, they are getting the maximum return right now... 😆
Flairon

palerider

Post by palerider »

The Daily Star say we're signing Tammy Abraham.

Must be true then.

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

palerider wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:00 am The Daily Star say we're signing Tammy Abraham.

Must be true then.
Slightly worried he has a bird’s name.