Official Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
Pipe smurf

Re: If we stay up what changes would you make to the squad?

Post by Pipe smurf »

pingpong91 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:17 am

Keep LBs

Keep the left backs ??! FFS what are you on?!

They are clearly not premier league quality and you want to keep them? You must support spurs

pingpong91

Post by pingpong91 »

Pipe smurf wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:43 pm
pingpong91 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:17 am

Keep LBs

They are clearly not premier league quality and you want to keep them? You must support spurs
Wouldn't say they "clearly" aren't prem quality, I think it's hard to judge the players in this squad with such low confidence. The quality is there we just need a few decent results to get the confidence going again.

Look what the team was producing before the Roberto saga.
Fortunes always hiding

Hammertime

Post by Hammertime »

pingpong91 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:18 pm
Pipe smurf wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:43 pm

Wouldn't say they "clearly" aren't prem quality, I think it's hard to judge the players in this squad with such low confidence. The quality is there we just need a few decent results to get the confidence going again.

Way too many goals conceded from mistakes in the fb position and I don't remember the last time Cresswell stopped a cross coming in?! We have to upgrade them. Clyne or Montiel at RB seems like a good shout and there's a couple of lbs in the championship that would instantly beat Cresswell out of a job, oh wait I mean all of them!

We also need to get in one decent CB if we're to sell Reid and Balbuena. Ake of Bournemouth if they go down, Mings of Villa and I would keep my eyes on this US international Miles Robinson (plays for Atlanta). Just came back from injury and covid break, but if he finds the form in MLS as he did as a 20 year old last season, he'll be looking for a move to Europe.
#fuckqatar2022

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Hammertime wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:18 pm

Way too many goals conceded from mistakes in the fb position and I don't remember the last time Cresswell stopped a cross coming in?! We have to upgrade them. Clyne or Montiel at RB seems like a good shout and there's a couple of lbs in the championship that would instantly beat Cresswell out of a job, oh wait I mean all of them!

We also need to get in one decent CB if we're to sell Reid and Balbuena. Ake of Bournemouth if they go down, Mings of Villa and I would keep my eyes on this US international Miles Robinson (plays for Atlanta). Just came back from injury and covid break, but if he finds the form in MLS as he did as a 20 year old last season, he'll be looking for a move to Europe.
Clyne would tick all the right boxes as far as the dwarf is concerned. Out of contract, so no transfer fee, Plus he's sustained a cruciate injury so his fitness is questionable and he'll be able to keep Wheelchair company in the treatment room.

Agree with you we desperately need a decent RB but I'd prefer to bring in someone who's likely to actually be fit wenough to play. ;)
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Hammertime

Post by Hammertime »

Whiskyman wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:11 pm

Clyne would tick all the right boxes as far as the dwarf is concerned. Out of contract, so no transfer fee, Plus he's sustained a cruciate injury so his fitness is questionable and he'll be able to keep Wheelchair company in the treatment room.

Agree with you we desperately need a decent RB but I'd prefer to bring in someone who's likely to actually be fit wenough to play. ;)

Which is why I included the younger and frequently fit Gabriel Monteil to that list, one sensible and one more likely option there!
#fuckqatar2022

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Hammertime wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:26 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:11 pm

Which is why I included the younger and frequently fit Gabriel Monteil to that list, one sensible and one more likely option there!
Assuming you mean Gonzalo Monteil wouldn't bringing in a player who has only played in the Argentinian League be something of a gamble ? I've never seen the bloke play so for all I know he could be the next Lionel Messi. But if he was I would imagine he's already have been snapped up by one of the Spanish clubs. He hasn't been , so I'm going to assume he isn't.

Granted he's probably better than Fredericks but that is a very low bar indeed.

pingpong91

Post by pingpong91 »

Don't get me wrong I am all for upgrading our weakest positions but given the track record of our owners do you think we would necessarily get an upgrade? We thought we'd get an upgrade at RB after the Antonio experiment and no disrespect to Zaba (because I loved him as a professional) we got someone who was over the hill. Fredericks could of worked out but didn't and prior to that we had Guy Demel who for me was equally as bad.

I like the looks of Max Aarons from Norwich and I would love to go for Ake. I just don't think you can make so many changes in a team in a single transfer window and expect a positive outcome, I think Cresswell and Arthur can do a job and in a more confident side would look a lot better.

Didn't we once sign a young lad from MLS / Canadian I think - not sure whatever happened to him. We need to replace Rice when he goes and make a decision on Haller and Anderson, both have undeniable talent but seem to lack a dog fight when we need it.
Fortunes always hiding

Riceascaptain

Post by Riceascaptain »

The reason why we haven't been able to improve the full back areas is simple, these positions have been seriously neglected since Sullivan and Gold bought the club.

This was posted on Kumb....

"As our current selections are getting a lot of grief on here, and it's regularly stated that it's an area we've underinvested in for years, I was taking a look at the specifics of that claim.
As far as I can see, this is what it has amounted to since the goons took over:

Ngakia own youth
Johnson own youth
Fredericks free transfer
Zabaleta free transfer
Evra free transfer
Masuaku 6.4 million
Byram 4.3 million
Potts own youth
Hendrie 1 million
Cresswell 4.2 million
Jenkinson loan
Rat free transfer
Armero loan
McCartney free transfer
O'Brien free transfer
Demel free transfer
Bridge loan
Jacobsen free transfer

May well have overlooked one or two, but any way you look at it, that's a shocking lack of investment"

https://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 90030ee15b

We have been a seriously unbalanced side this season because of lack of quality in the full back areas.

Lessons must now have been learned!

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

pingpong91 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:02 pm

Don't get me wrong I am all for upgrading our weakest positions but given the track record of our owners do you think we would necessarily get an upgrade? We thought we'd get an upgrade at RB after the Antonio experiment and no disrespect to Zaba (because I loved him as a professional) we got someone who was over the hill. Fredericks could of worked out but didn't and prior to that we had Guy Demel who for me was equally as bad.

I like the looks of Max Aarons from Norwich and I would love to go for Ake. I just don't think you can make so many changes in a team in a single transfer window and expect a positive outcome, I think Cresswell and Arthur can do a job and in a more confident side would look a lot better.

Didn't we once sign a young lad from MLS / Canadian I think - not sure whatever happened to him. We need to replace Rice when he goes and make a decision on Haller and Anderson, both have undeniable talent but seem to lack a dog fight when we need it.
Guy Demel bad ??? Probably the best RB the club has had on it's books since Ray Stewart FFS. If we ignore the one season that Seb Schemmel was playing out of his skin before reverting to type. Wasn't Schemmel voted HOTY btw. ?

But I guess the fact you like Max Aarons speaks volumes. ;)

thomasswe

Post by thomasswe »

Whiskyman wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:19 pm
pingpong91 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:02 pm

Guy Demel bad ??? Probably the best RB the club has had on it's books since Ray Stewart FFS. If we ignore the one season that Seb Schemmel was playing out of his skin before reverting to type. Wasn't Schemmel voted HOTY btw. ?

But I guess the fact you like Max Aarons speaks volumes. ;)
Demel was the only proper RB we´ve had for ages. Johnson might become one but I thought he was shaky against Watford. Ngakia looked more ready but hes gone.

Fredericks pace is handy but i dont think he has the quality to be a long term solution. I would say RB should be the main focus to get a new signing.

Would like a LB too as im a not a big fan of Cresswell but compared to our 20 last right backs apart from Demel he is a much better player and is at least somewhat consistent.

Masuaku is a dodgy defender and will likely never be consistent enough to be main LB for a long run but he is a technically skilled player and useful to have in the squad as makeshift LB and LW