That’s it for me , I won’t be watching...

Chat about anything football related here!
Newmarket

Re: That’s it for me , I won’t be watching...

Post by Newmarket »

Hammertime wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:55 pm
only1salty wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:15 pm

You seem to have missed my point completely. Read the manifesto of BLM. Actually read it

Only a tiny minority disagree that racism is abhorrent. That exists in all races. Read the thread and see what others are actually trying to say. (except that numbers fuckwit)

What most people do not agree with is wholesale illegal activism or the over politicising of a social issue. You can be against racism without having to support BLM.

The BLM movement has been politically hijacked to now include such aspects IN THE UK as

Dismantle capitalism
Abolish the police
Dismantle the state
Erase history

If you don't think that is a political cause that does nothing but polarise people then I'm afraid it is you who has lost the fucking plot!
And you've missed my point entirely, quit letting people hijack a cause for their own benefit and giving it relevance. The BLM movement is about a particular and specific type of oppression and as I've said if you're making it more complex than that on either side of the argument then you've lost the plot. The power of a BLM movement in the Premier League resonates around the world and transcends whatever ethnocentric bubble you live in.
Again , a very good point .

But the Premier League haven’t made that clear , Sky and the rest of the UK Media don’t WANT it made clear and obviously neither do the lefty extremists , one of which I consider UKBLM to be , or , strangely our Government which are treating our Forces Veterans like pieces of shit.
Bring back Jonathon !

h69

Post by h69 »

only1salty wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:15 pm

You seem to have missed my point completely. Read the manifesto of BLM. Actually read it

Only a tiny minority disagree that racism is abhorrent. That exists in all races. Read the thread and see what others are actually trying to say. (except that numbers fuckwit)

What most people do not agree with is wholesale illegal activism or the over politicising of a social issue. You can be against racism without having to support BLM.

The BLM movement has been politically hijacked to now include such aspects IN THE UK as

Dismantle capitalism
Abolish the police
Dismantle the state
Erase history

If you don't think that is a political cause that does nothing but polarise people then I'm afraid it is you who has lost the fucking plot!
And you've missed my point entirely, quit letting people hijack a cause for their own benefit and giving it relevance. The BLM movement is about a particular and specific type of oppression and as I've said if you're making it more complex than that on either side of the argument then you've lost the plot. The power of a BLM movement in the Premier League resonates around the world and transcends whatever ethnocentric bubble you live in.
There are many different people and races being persecuted in the world.

While I accept racism against black people is of particular concern in the Southern US (despite that George Floyd killing not being racist) it really is not a major issue in this country. Yes, it used to be going back to the 70s and then before that to the days of the empire but not now.

They need to make their minds up.

1) Are they objecting to historic abuse....in which case join the queue and wait behind the Germans, Chinese and Russians

2) Are they objecting to endemic racism in the UK today ? How many people have been killed by police this year in the UK....2, both muslim terrorists.

This is the UK, it is not Alabama and the PL are the first to moan about politcial statements on T shirts yet have decided to break their own rule.

Why is this issue any more relevant than any other race being persecuted in another country ?

JayK

Post by JayK »

h69 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:54 pm

While I accept racism against black people is of particular concern in the Southern US (despite that George Floyd killing not being racist) it really is not a major issue in this country. Yes, it used to be going back to the 70s and then before that to the days of the empire but not now.

1) Are they objecting to historic abuse....in which case join the queue and wait behind the Germans, Chinese and Russians

2) Are they objecting to endemic racism in the UK today ? How many people have been killed by police this year in the UK....2, both muslim terrorists.

This is the UK, it is not Alabama and the PL are the first to moan about politcial statements on T shirts yet have decided to break their own rule.

Why is this issue any more relevant than any other race being persecuted in another country ?
I'm not saying you're right or wrong but your comment about racism in this country not being an issue is interesting. I have a mate who lived in South Africa (Cape Town) from 18 months old to when he was about 30. He moved here nearly 20 years ago now. He couldn't believe the level of racism around the country and thought it was worse than back home.
COYI!!!

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

JayK wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:22 pm

I'm not saying you're right or wrong but your comment about racism in this country not being an issue is interesting. I have a mate who lived in South Africa (Cape Town) from 18 months old to when he was about 30. He moved here nearly 20 years ago now. He couldn't believe the level of racism around the country and thought it was worse than back home.
I’ll tell you a little story Jay mate .

In the 80’s I worked with a guy who whose wife was a (white) South African .
Yeah I never met a nice one either lol , but I went to the airport with him one afternoon to pick up his visiting brother-in-law .

On the way home , as we were approaching the Beckton Alps on the A13 I heard him pipe up ...

“ My godt, a blick in a BMW ... what is the matter with you people ??? “

This country was always the Island of opportunity, even then , if the individual was prepared to put the effort in.

This country has never been less systematically racist than it is now but this current business has not only put race relations back 50 years it’s also put every disingenuous Briton on edge, worrying that everything they say and/or do is going to be twisted and used against them .
Bring back Jonathon !

JayK

Post by JayK »

Newmarket wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:40 pm

I’ll tell you a little story Jay mate .

In the 80’s I worked with a guy who whose wife was a (white) South African .
Yeah I never met a nice one either lol , but I went to the airport with him one afternoon to pick up his visiting brother-in-law .

On the way home , as we were approaching the Beckton Alps on the A13 I heard him pipe up ...

“ My godt, a blick in a BMW ... what is the matter with you people ??? “

This country was always the Island of opportunity, even then , if the individual was prepared to put the effort in.

This country has never been less systematically racist than it is now but this current business has not only put race relations back 50 years it’s also put every disingenuous Briton on edge, worrying that everything they say and/or do is going to be twisted and used against them .
I guess they're not all the same. And you're right Tim, in my time on this planet I have felt and noticed it getting worse. Not the racism but the fear of being accused of it. It's fucked mate. I find myself proving I'm not racist a lot after I've said certain things to people and that's just shit.
COYI!!!

h69

Post by h69 »

20 years ago. That is exactly my point.

When are people going to start talking about now. I think I was clear above that this country used to have race issues but not now. We need to stop banging on about the past.

FFS Germany were gassing Jews less than 100 years ago but no one is calling them all nazis now.

This is a good read https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/06/2 ... es-matter/

Hammertime

Post by Hammertime »

AGAIN, I will make the point that while you feel that this game is for the UK only, it is not. These are some of the highest paid and most famous athletes on the planet and when take a knee it is for those most oppressed on the planet, not necessarily those in your political sphere. Not to mention a lot of them still have to play in Eastern Europe and hear the abuse first hand. They have every right to use their fame to make a statement. I live in a country where an athlete was ridiculed and removed from his sport for doing just that, now his move is resonating with people everywhere and you chose to make it about one small island in the North Atlantic and their political agenda ffs.
#fuckqatar2022

JayK

Post by JayK »

h69 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:48 pm

20 years ago. That is exactly my point.

When are people going to start talking about now. I think I was clear above that this country used to have race issues but not now. We need to stop banging on about the past.

FFS Germany were gassing Jews less than 100 years ago but no one is calling them all nazis now.

This is a good read https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/06/2 ... es-matter/
It was a good read. How true all that is though is unknown but hope it’s true
COYI!!!

h69

Post by h69 »

Hammertime wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:13 pm

AGAIN, I will make the point that while you feel that this game is for the UK only, it is not. These are some of the highest paid and most famous athletes on the planet and when take a knee it is for those most oppressed on the planet, not necessarily those in your political sphere. Not to mention a lot of them still have to play in Eastern Europe and hear the abuse first hand. They have every right to use their fame to make a statement. I live in a country where an athlete was ridiculed and removed from his sport for doing just that, now his move is resonating with people everywhere and you chose to make it about one small island in the North Atlantic and their political agenda ffs.
You can make that point over and over AGAIN if you want but it is still bollocks. I dont choose to make it about the UK, last time I looked the sport was based in England, A country that does not have a systemic race problem. If your country has an issue then knock yourself out and kneel to the black people and apologise for being racist. Noone is stopping you but it has not place in sport here.

I don't feel the game is for the UK only, I just don't believe that sport should be used as propaganda for a bullshit movement. In the UK, BLM is just an anti-capitalist movement designed to destabilise the govt. They give no fucking shit about peoples lives and the biggest killer of black people here is black people.

Much of what you wrote would be credible if you had not used the words 'most oppressed on the planet'. What utter bollocks.
Who the fuck are the premier league to decide who to support and who not to ? They moan about players having political statements on their T shirts yet when they decide to Virtue Signal, we have to put up with it ?

If you are talking about millionaire oppressed but still got to the top of his profession Colin Kapaernick then too fucking bad. He chose to disrespect the country's anthem and flag as did a colleague of his who has actually managed to get a team despite whining he couldn't because it was all racist....so it clearly is not. If he wants to make a statement so be it but that is a US sport and it was about racism in the US.

We do not live in America and this BLM nonsense has put race relations back about 20 years here when this city is one of the most cosmopolitan in the world.

Let me ask you a question, why dont the PL have 'free Hong Kong Students' on their backs. The ones being murdered by the Chinese State. I am pretty sure that the people of Hong Kong watch the PL....but no, not fucking oppressed enough clearly.

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

h69 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:39 am
Hammertime wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:13 pm

You can make that point over and over AGAIN if you want but it is still bollocks. I dont choose to make it about the UK, last time I looked the sport was based in England, A country that does not have a systemic race problem. If your country has an issue then knock yourself out and kneel to the black people and apologise for being racist. Noone is stopping you but it has not place in sport here.

I don't feel the game is for the UK only, I just don't believe that sport should be used as propaganda for a bullshit movement. In the UK, BLM is just an anti-capitalist movement designed to destabilise the govt. They give no fucking shit about peoples lives and the biggest killer of black people here is black people.

Much of what you wrote would be credible if you had not used the words 'most oppressed on the planet'. What utter bollocks.
Who the fuck are the premier league to decide who to support and who not to ? They moan about players having political statements on their T shirts yet when they decide to Virtue Signal, we have to put up with it ?

If you are talking about millionaire oppressed but still got to the top of his profession Colin Kapaernick then too fucking bad. He chose to disrespect the country's anthem and flag as did a colleague of his who has actually managed to get a team despite whining he couldn't because it was all racist....so it clearly is not. If he wants to make a statement so be it but that is a US sport and it was about racism in the US.

We do not live in America and this BLM nonsense has put race relations back about 20 years here when this city is one of the most cosmopolitan in the world.

Let me ask you a question, why dont the PL have 'free Hong Kong Students' on their backs. The ones being murdered by the Chinese State. I am pretty sure that the people of Hong Kong watch the PL....but no, not fucking oppressed enough clearly.
Well said H69. For some reason we have to copy some dreary stupid idea from the US without even understanding it's meaning. The whole Black Lives Matter is a misnomer. It's obvious it's really Black Sentiments Matter - and I don't mind that,but just be honest about the intentions and the meaning.

People get angry when you point that out, but not everyone is beguiled by a hashtag.