WHU players going to Spurs

Chat about anything football related here!
terrya1965

Re: WHU players going to Spurs

Post by terrya1965 »

FatPigIron wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:30 am
terrya1965 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:42 pm

Exactly..Spot on...Was just going to say the same thing.
So Carrick had all his future ahead of him, whereas Parker was in the twilight of his career.

Had Parker not been toiling with a clogging bunch of losers (as defined by the fact we were relegated - the league doesn't lie), maybe that prat Cappello, might have taken him to the World Cup....and what with Gerrard and Lampard being almost identical in their play, I'm totally convinced Parker would have offered something different, and made a huge difference.

After all, that is exactly what happened with Trevor Sinclair. He only just sneaked into the WC squad, and turned out to be one of the revelations of the team....so why not Parker?

So he's seen his England aspirations smashed. And seen his team relegated despite his huge efforts, as demonstrated by the Journalists making him their Player of the Year. (This had never happened to a player in a relegated team)

No ordinary player wins Hammer of the Year 3 times in the 4 years he was with us. That is a player who gives his all.

So, in going to Spurs, not only would he stay in the Prem, (which after all his efforts and achievements he had every right to in the end of his career IMO), but also have the chance to play alongside his favourite player, Modric, AND play in the Champions League! How could any player turn THAT down?

Whereas, what did WHU have to offer? The delights of slugging it out in the Championship, with no guarantee of returning....Parker no longer had the luxury of years of football ahead of him. No wonder he left!

Frankly, ANYONE who could resent that, as far as I'm concerned, is churlish and mean-spirited in the EXTREME.

That you, is it?
I don't blame or didn't begrudge him leaving at all..He deserved that.

He got my total respect.

Do think our fans were upset that BOTH went to Spurs,but you couldn`t knock what they gave us fans.Has I said Carrick went and played in the 2nd tier with us,but you make some great points on Parker.

Parker would make my all time West Ham XI,that`s how much I rated him.

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER »

terrya1965 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:17 am Parker would make my all time West Ham XI,that`s how much I rated him.
Agree with you Tel.

Of all the players that I have seen, I think more of him than any other player. (All of the ‘legends’ were before my time.)

Would’ve preferred he went to another club instead of Spurs, but I don’t hold it against him. He owed us nothing.

FatPigIron

Post by FatPigIron »

terrya1965 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:17 am
FatPigIron wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:30 am

So Carrick had all his future ahead of him, whereas Parker was in the twilight of his career.

Had Parker not been toiling with a clogging bunch of losers (as defined by the fact we were relegated - the league doesn't lie), maybe that prat Cappello, might have taken him to the World Cup....and what with Gerrard and Lampard being almost identical in their play, I'm totally convinced Parker would have offered something different, and made a huge difference.

After all, that is exactly what happened with Trevor Sinclair. He only just sneaked into the WC squad, and turned out to be one of the revelations of the team....so why not Parker?

So he's seen his England aspirations smashed. And seen his team relegated despite his huge efforts, as demonstrated by the Journalists making him their Player of the Year. (This had never happened to a player in a relegated team)

No ordinary player wins Hammer of the Year 3 times in the 4 years he was with us. That is a player who gives his all.

So, in going to Spurs, not only would he stay in the Prem, (which after all his efforts and achievements he had every right to in the end of his career IMO), but also have the chance to play alongside his favourite player, Modric, AND play in the Champions League! How could any player turn THAT down?

Whereas, what did WHU have to offer? The delights of slugging it out in the Championship, with no guarantee of returning....Parker no longer had the luxury of years of football ahead of him. No wonder he left!

Frankly, ANYONE who could resent that, as far as I'm concerned, is churlish and mean-spirited in the EXTREME.

That you, is it?
I don't blame or didn't begrudge him leaving at all..He deserved that.

He got my total respect.

Do think our fans were upset that BOTH went to Spurs,but you couldn`t knock what they gave us fans.Has I said Carrick went and played in the 2nd tier with us,but you make some great points on Parker.

Parker would make my all time West Ham XI,that`s how much I rated him.
Great reply. Thx for that.

I did absolutely love Parker. I remember us losing 0-3 in the FA Cup (I think) to bloody Wenger's Arsenal, but I remember going home thinking, well we might have lost, but I've been watching the best midfielder in the country and he was in Claret and Blue!

It even put a contented smile on my face....So maybe you'll understand how sickened to the core I was when our own fans boo-ed him that night when he returned in a Spurs shirt.... I wanted a hole to open up... In 50 years as a supporter, that was by far my worst WHU moment. I was utterly ashamed of our own fans.

Incidentally, compare your answer to the one by Towie bottom of p3...different kettle of fish:...yours generous, his not....

Towie

Post by Towie »

FatPigIron wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:08 am
Towie wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:47 am

Fuck me, you still wank over his pictures on the wall?

Yes good player for us.
Am I going to idolise him forever, am I fuck! Far better players than him have left us.

I answered your question you muppet for the reason Parker was booed and Carrick fondly remembered. Doesn’t mean I was one of those booing.

Jesus you need to calm your skin man.
Well that hit a nerve! Me calm down? You're the only one losing his rag here....

And that therefore simply begs the question why would you lose your rag if you weren't one of those booing him.... or don't resent him (which isn't quite the same thing)?
I’ve never booed a player in my life, lampard, Defoe, Ince, Parker, none of them. But really don’t care what you believe.
I gave you an answer to your question and you start a rant of a man teetering on the brink, Then repeat it to Tel.

In both our responses did we ever say it was right?

Jesus, get a life man.
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

FatPigIron

Post by FatPigIron »

Towie wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:00 pm
FatPigIron wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:08 am

Well that hit a nerve! Me calm down? You're the only one losing his rag here....

And that therefore simply begs the question why would you lose your rag if you weren't one of those booing him.... or don't resent him (which isn't quite the same thing)?
I’ve never booed a player in my life, lampard, Defoe, Ince, Parker, none of them. But really don’t care what you believe.
I gave you an answer to your question and you start a rant of a man teetering on the brink, Then repeat it to Tel.

In both our responses did we ever say it was right?

Jesus, get a life man.
All I was doing was demonstrating that there are different ways of reacting....and the comparison between you and Tel could not have been more stark....

If anyone needs to 'get a life' it is you! But anyway, from a purely personal perspective, I'm v happy to hear that you have never boo-ed any of them. I think that is a good thing and something to be proud of.

garnett

Post by garnett »

Great player Scott who I thought was a perfect fit for Arsenal, but apparently wasn`t good enough just like any other West Ham player.

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

garnett wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:58 am Great player Scott who I thought was a perfect fit for Arsenal, but apparently wasn`t good enough just like any other West Ham player.
We sell to Tottenham and Chelsea and buy from Arsenal. And this where things get a bit awkward - we sell good stuff to the fancy oiks and buy clapped out stuff from someone who takes the piss.

No wonder we normally finish below em...

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

BlackDiamond wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:33 am
garnett wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:58 am Great player Scott who I thought was a perfect fit for Arsenal, but apparently wasn`t good enough just like any other West Ham player.
We sell to Tottenham and Chelsea and buy from Arsenal. And this where things get a bit awkward - we sell good stuff to the fancy oiks and buy clapped out stuff from someone who takes the piss.

You are right,we have done it for years.Especially Arsenal.

John Radford and Stewart Robson come to mind.They wasn't the players they were,otherwise we wouldn't have signed them.Robbo could have been has good has his name sake Bryan,but injuries meant he couldn't reach nowhere near the level he got at Arsenal.

Even Stuart Pearson said,he wished that he was the player he was at Man U,when he played for us.

Mind you,we did buy the most expensive keeper and everyone was after Paul Goddard at QPR and we got him.We were in Division 2 has well.We did have some fabulous players though.

It seemed every player loved John Lyall too,has a person and a coach.

Post by 9898 »

terrya1965 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:41 pm
BlackDiamond wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:33 am

You are right,we have done it for years.Especially Arsenal.

John Radford and Stewart Robson come to mind.They wasn't the players they were,otherwise we wouldn't have signed them.Robbo could have been has good has his name sake Bryan,but injuries meant he couldn't reach nowhere near the level he got at Arsenal.

Even Stuart Pearson said,he wished that he was the player he was at Man U,when he played for us.

Mind you,we did buy the most expensive keeper and everyone was after Paul Goddard at QPR and we got him.We were in Division 2 has well.We did have some fabulous players though.

It seemed every player loved John Lyall too,has a person and a coach.
Detested Stewart Robson. Zilch ability but, in fairness, very brave and willing. He always felt he was better than us and doing us a favour, borne out by many comments in the press since he retired.
"Mum. I've wet the bed again."

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Diop could be next

Bothered ?