English Football suspended

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

Re: English Football suspended

Post by Whiskyman »

If, as expected, the government announces a 3 week extension to the lockdown period that would kill any possibility of sporting events until at least the second week of May. In the PL there are still around 9 rounds of games to be played so they would take us into June even if they were played at 2 a week.

And I doubt if anyone imagines a return to normality overnight. More likely a gradual easing of the restrictions. I doubt if any sort of spectator presence would be allowed. And what's the point of sport with no spectators? Void the fucking thing now. Tough on the scousers, tough on Leeds and West Brom but life's not always fair.

At least everyone would know where they stand and there might be some chance of next season starting when it usually does which wouldn't be the case if the rest of the unfinished games this season were crammed into a 4 week period.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Whiskyman wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:17 am If, as expected, the government announces a 3 week extension to the lockdown period that would kill any possibility of sporting events until at least the second week of May. In the PL there are still around 9 rounds of games to be played so they would take us into June even if they were played at 2 a week.

And I doubt if anyone imagines a return to normality overnight. More likely a gradual easing of the restrictions. I doubt if any sort of spectator presence would be allowed. And what's the point of sport with no spectators? Void the fucking thing now. Tough on the scousers, tough on Leeds and West Brom but life's not always fair.

At least everyone would know where they stand and there might be some chance of next season starting when it usually does which wouldn't be the case if the rest of the unfinished games this season were crammed into a 4 week period.
They definitely won't void this season that is clear. There is huge pressure to get the economy turning over and once shops like hairdressers are allowed to operate with some restrictions,football will be back.

The players have had enough of a break this year,so won't need the usual summer off. Therefore you don't need a pre season. So they can finish this season,2 week break and start next season.

This is domestic leagues only. You hardly want flights whizzing about, that's how all this started in the first place.

palerider

Post by palerider »

BlackDiamond wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:08 am
Whiskyman wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:17 am If, as expected, the government announces a 3 week extension to the lockdown period that would kill any possibility of sporting events until at least the second week of May. In the PL there are still around 9 rounds of games to be played so they would take us into June even if they were played at 2 a week.

They definitely won't void this season that is clear. There is huge pressure to get the economy turning over and once shops like hairdressers are allowed to operate with some restrictions,football will be back.

The players have had enough of a break this year,so won't need the usual summer off. Therefore you don't need a pre season. So they can finish this season,2 week break and start next season.

This is domestic leagues only. You hardly want flights whizzing about, that's how all this started in the first place.
What they will do and what they should do are different animals.

It's the uncertainty that's affecting the game, and as I've said, how can anyone know how the virus will pan out ?

Towie

Post by Towie »

2 week break between seasons? What about transfer window, players need off loading from relegated clubs especially premier league. Play offs and finals etc.

Players will need a mini preseason before this season can re start surely? Season needs to finish before end of June or needs to be voided. Start new season a month later, which will probably have disruptions too as I believe we will be in and out of lockdowns for maybe 6-12 months.
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

Castiron

Post by Castiron »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52308201
If this happens, then this takes us into near end of May.

palerider

Post by palerider »

Towie wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:00 am

2 week break between seasons? What about transfer window, players need off loading from relegated clubs especially premier league. Play offs and finals etc.

Players will need a mini preseason before this season can re start surely? Season needs to finish before end of June or needs to be voided. Start new season a month later, which will probably have disruptions too as I believe we will be in and out of lockdowns for maybe 6-12 months.
I've little sympathy for top-flight players. But the future of the lower leagues is troubling.

As I understand it, the Jocks were waiting on a vote from Dundee to decide their own season. And they voted in favour meaning that as it stands, Dundee United, Raith Rovers and Cove Rangers win their respective divisions. The SPFL are yet to decide, but it now means that much-needed prize money can be handed out for league placings, keeping certain clubs above the bread line.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

You may well be right. Obviously getting the economy running again is a hell of a lot more important than football and that will mean the present lockdown will have to end sooner rather than later. But I can't imagine large gatherings being allowed for some while yet, if at all until some antidote is invented and mass produced, so any games would have to be played without fans. And as pretty much all sports are spectator events without fans is there really any point ?

Obviously the PL is keen to avoid any repayments to Sky/BT and will make every effort to get games played because of that but how interested are people going to be in watching a game with no crowd participation ? Isn't it going to be a bit like watching a full scale training session rather than a competitive match ?

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

Scotland has voted to end the season as it sits at present...that means Partick get relegated
from the Premier being 2pts behind,with a game in hand and 9 left to play...
If that aint a joke...well...

Even if they do decide to call it now,at the very least you should have played the same amount of
games....that's got a court case all over it,and a winnable one..
Villa win their game in hand puts Watford in bottom 3.......theres no way in the world can you call
it and end the season now...

Fulham six pts behind Baggies and the other lot,,,who I don't talk about.... :lol: ...but have em
both left to play...

Seasons 75 % done so unfair to void it...and as funny as it would be, the Scouse really deserve the
title..
Only way I can see is say wait another 6 weeks...and crash thru June,playing 2 games a week
behind closed doors....
Scrap the Cup tho,make things easier...and you can't play a Cup Final at Wembley behind
closed doors...thats ridiculous..

Just realised what I've said....I'm on Sheff Utd at 40s to win it....
So maybe we can squeeze it in... :lol:

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

mkhammer wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:21 am Scotland has voted to end the season as it sits at present...that means Partick get relegated
from the Premier being 2pts behind,with a game in hand and 9 left to play...
If that aint a joke...well...
Mate, how can anyone take a league seriously where it's possible for a team with, say 45 points to finish ahead of one with 46. Assuming they're still doing that silly thing of splitting the league in half after so many games.

Even if everyone had played the same number of matches it wouldn't really be a fair system. Some teams have played the scousers and Man City twice, others haven't, so imo the only sensible thing to do is scrap the fucking thing, assuming as now looks more likely, it's not going to be possible to finish it before June 30th when contracts run out.

palerider

Post by palerider »

A 99 year-old guy has raised 12 million and counting for the NHS. Walking around his garden on his zimmer frame.

He, and the hundreds of people like him, including the son of a friend cycling on his indoor machine, also for the NHS, are the ones we'll remember in 12 months time.

And the nurses and doctors. The cleaners, the cooks, the care-home staff, the supermarket employees who cheerfully man the decks to keep the likes of me stocked-up with booze.

And the delivery drivers and the bin-men. Those who HAVE to go to work.

When it's time to stand up and be counted, they are the true heroes. Not footballers. Or the people that run the game.

So Sky and BT want their money. 762 million pounds of it. It would be a nice thought if the mega-rich people who run them said 'You know what ? We'll give it to charity as it's the biggest crisis since 1945'.

But will they fuck.

Integrity my arse.

Sky have the gall to suggest that putting on games behind closed doors and screening them all along with their preposterous adverts would 'lift the nation'.

Utter bollocks.

Matt Hancock will almost certainly extend the lockdown today by another 3 weeks. And the pond-life running our national game will start scurrying around looking for get-outs.

I've not missed it one bit actually, although I still love the game. But I'd only want it to recommence when the number of new daily cases is zero. Over an extended period of time.

The economy can be eased back into life. Certain shops can re-open in 3 weeks time as long as social-distancing is still observed. And if that works out then other important things next, and I emphasise the word important.

Sport isn't important. And however you dress it up, there can't be proper social distancing if any PL game is played. Behind closed doors means players, officials, the media, police, ambulances (who should be on call elsewhere). But most of all the thousands who'd not listen to a word of advice and still travel, even to mill around an empty stadium.

My mantra has been that it's not the Black Death. But it's a killer for some. And maybe I have a bee in my bonnet because my daughter works for the NHS. But the country needs to fucking prioritise.

Do not take any risk. Void the cunt now ! And don't start again until it's safe to do so. And IF that means waiting until next year for a vaccine so be it.