At what point.

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

Re: At what point.

Post by Whiskyman »

Newmarket wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:01 am
BCHammer wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:49 am

Totally agree, I started a post to that effect a few weeks back.

My point is, it was Brady who got them into football, her words "you buy it, I'll run it". Now she has achieved her ambition, moving on to West Ham was never about football and she doesn't have anything to do with the football side of things, Sullivan does. And he shouldn't because he doesn't have a scooby.

And it was her that said world class stadium, world class players. And it could have been if we had built on Payet, but instead we got Tore, Feghouli & Nordveit. I view her as responsible because the whole deal with the stadium was clearly her brainchild and she used her Tory cronies to get it. Yes, Sullivan badly messed up his side of the deal with the securing of the players bit and not investing what is required to buy world class players, but that stadium is all her IMHO. If it had all worked out, we had Payet, Lacazette & Bacca all firing, were consistently top 6 and maybe even got a cup, we wouldn't be moaning about the stadium - or them - at all.
BC trust me , if you attended that shithole every home game you’d be moaning about it regardless of the teams league position.
No, I think he's got a point. Let's face it we attended a shithole every other week for the last 30 odd years. FFS Upton Park had started going down the flusher when I started going regularly, around 1973.

And you'd still probably cop Tassie singing that fucking dirge. ;)
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Whiskyman wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:47 am
Newmarket wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:01 am

BC trust me , if you attended that shithole every home game you’d be moaning about it regardless of the teams league position.
No, I think he's got a point. Let's face it we attended a shithole every other week for the last 30 odd years. FFS Upton Park had started going down the flusher when I started going regularly, around 1973.

Yeah but it was our shithole Whisk ...

I know you like to dig out Upton Park ( it was never the fucking Boleyn till they demolished it :D ) and I agree but that was more the area rather than the ground was it not ?
It’s been said many times , but the scaffolding, the open concourses , the soulless walk to the ground from wherEVER you approach it , the cattle herding stop/go signs , security checks etc ? Come on , it’s fucking horrid .
I don’t go often anymore but when I do it’s for the boats and the company and that’s all .

It’s a fucking shithole .
Bring back Jonathon !

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

I think Newham council put the block on terraced housing and chicken shops to be built around the shit bowl.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Newmarket wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:32 am
Whiskyman wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:47 am

Yeah but it was our shithole Whisk ...

I know you like to dig out Upton Park ( it was never the fucking Boleyn till they demolished it :D ) and I agree but that was more the area rather than the ground was it not ?
It’s been said many times , but the scaffolding, the open concourses , the soulless walk to the ground from wherEVER you approach it , the cattle herding stop/go signs , security checks etc ? Come on , it’s fucking horrid .
I don’t go often anymore but when I do it’s for the boats and the company and that’s all .

It’s a fucking shithole .
Wouldn't say I LIKE digging out Upton Park, although I do feel we missed a trick back in the 80s when, imo, we should have grasped the nettle and taken up the opportunity of getting a new, purpose built, stadium at Becton. Upgrading the old stadium was the start of our financial problems under Brown's guidance. And I'd guess there are many people who have some sort of fondness for the old place in part because they choose to turn a blind dewy eye to the problems that existed there. And tbh whatever anyone's views on the move it is pointless to keep banging on about it because at this time there is no alternative.

You're right saying it was mostly the area itself that was a craphole, although the old ground had many faults we could all mention. And as we all know actually getting in and out, not into the ground itself but the area, was a fucking nightmare, whether you chose to travel by car, which I mostly did, or public transport at the times the District Line was actually working.

But you're right about the new place. However with proper, forward thinking ownership the issues you, and others, have highlighted many times could easily be addressed. Had the move been handled properly I honestly believe many of the things that have become a big deal wouldn't have caused a ripple.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Dwayne Pipes wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:48 am I think Newham council put the block on terraced housing and chicken shops to be built around the shit bowl.
I bet they'd approve Sami's Super Sari Store though. ;)

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

The only trouble with Beckton back then Whisky was the fucking useless transport system getting there.
if you didnt have a motor you were fucked.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Dwayne Pipes wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:52 am The only trouble with Beckton back then Whisky was the fucking useless transport system getting there.
That's a good point. Although the infrastructure (DLR and so on) was already in the later design stages at that time and would probably have been ready by the time any stadium had been commissioned. After all the authorities wouldn't have wanted a stadium catering for 45,000, which I think was the size proposed at the time, not to have facilities for bringing that number of people to it every 2 weeks.

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Whiskyman wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:15 pm
Dwayne Pipes wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:52 am The only trouble with Beckton back then Whisky was the fucking useless transport system getting there.
That's a good point. Although the infrastructure (DLR and so on) was already in the later design stages at that time and would probably have been ready by the time any stadium had been commissioned. After all the authorities wouldn't have wanted a stadium catering for 45,000, which I think was the size proposed at the time, not to have facilities for bringing that number of people to it every 2 weeks.
Don’t know if you remember but West Ham speedway/dog track was once thought of as a new site but the same transport problem existed over Custom house.
Saying that, we had tight cunts as owners back then too.

Brookbonds73

Post by Brookbonds73 »

Whiskyman wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:08 am
Dwayne Pipes wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:48 am I think Newham council put the block on terraced housing and chicken shops to be built around the shit bowl.
I bet they'd approve Sami's Super Sari Store though. ;)
And a fine shop it is too. The colours are most pleasing to the eye and the jewelry is to die for. It won't be long before the club shop start selling them, which incidentally can be reached by using the warp speed transport links.
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

palerider

Post by palerider »

I may go to the cup game just to chant Bilic out. I've never been in the club shop.

Do they sell industrial-strength cleaning fluid ?