Irons Supporting Foodbanks

Chat about anything football related here!
BM Jon

Irons Supporting Foodbanks

Post by BM Jon »

Some of you may know that I've been trying to set up a foodbank collection point at the LS on matchdays.

I've finally received the green light from LS185 today to set up a collection point next to the information portakabin by Endeavour Square, on the way in from Westfield. We'll be there 3 hours before k.o. for every first team game, starting with the Leicester game on 28th December.

I realise this won't be everyone's cup of tea, and I don't do politics, but for me its a numbers game, with over a million football fans going to the stadium over a season. That has to make a difference to Newham Foodbanks who we are collecting for, West Ham fans helping the local community.

The football foodbanks have been growing nationally for a few years. Liverpool and Everton started them off 5 years ago, and now collect about a tonne of donations at each game. They supply 30% of all foodbank donations in Liverpool. I've met the guys doing the same at Man United, Newcastle, Burnley and Huddersfield. In London, Arsenal, QPR, Fulham and Charlton have their own matchday foodbanks run by fans.

We'll be collecting donations of non-perishables, so tins, tea, coffee, long-life juice, long-life milk etc. It would be fantastic if the West Ham fans community could help fight food poverty in Newham.

Please donate something when you can, and spread the word.

Many thanks.

andyginbrasil

Re: Irons Supporting Foodbanks

Post by andyginbrasil »

Good on you mate....

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

Well done on the effort mate..

BM Jon

Post by BM Jon »

A reminder that our first foodbank collection will take place next Saturday, starting at 2.30pm before the Leicester game. We'll be set up next to the Park Information Centre just after Endeavour Square, on the way in to the LS from Stratford Station / Westfield Shopping City, and the boats. We're collecting for Newham Foodbank in Beckton. LS185 have given us this game to run as a trial and if this goes ok then we get the green light to collect before every first team game for as long as we are needed. If anyone is going to the Supporters Club AGM at the Last Drop at 12, I'll be there to pick up any donations.

The items that the foodbank need urgently are UHT milk, custard powder, tinned tomatoes, tinned fish/meat, cereals and biscuits.

If you are coming to the game please slip a tin in your pocket on the way in and help the Newham community. We'll have a foodbank banner up at the site and we'll be wearing the fetching hi-vis jackets. A couple of staff from the foodbank will also be with us to chat with. We've had some great positive press coverage on CNN last week and in the Newham Recorder this week, and massive thanks to Geo and Gonzo for supporting us, and for the video posted a few days ago. If anyone wants to volunteer to stand with us for an hour or so then please DM me. We're on Twitter at @IFoodbanks if anyone wants to follow us for updates.

Looking forward to seeing some of you next week ;)

BM Jon

Post by BM Jon »

We'll be collecting food donations from 2.30 pm tomorrow on the walk from Westfield to the LS. We'll be based alongside the Park Information Centre. If anyone is going to the boats then you'll walk right past us so stop and chat with the folk from Newham Foodbank who will be with us. Otherwise. please drop a few bob in one of the collection buckets. Our chosen foodbank currently gives out about 50 3-day emergency supplies every week, and needs our support.

BBC News and ITV are interested in how West Ham fans are helping the local community and plan to be filming with us tomorrow. The club is also now supporting us.

If tomorrow's event goes without any glitches then we should get the ok from LS185 to collect for the rest of the season or for as long as we are needed. whufc_crest

BM Jon

Post by BM Jon »

At our first collection event on Saturday we collected 8/9 full trays, with a few £100's collected in cash. Thanks to Gonzo and some of the boat boys for stopping by. It all makes a difference. We filmed part of it for BBC London news, not sure if any of it made the screen. The Club ran a feature on their website a week ago so we're getting some support from them, with more to follow.

Finally just a reminder that there won't be a foodbank collection before the Bournemouth game tomorrow.

LS185 are still to review the processes from Saturday's event. We more or less got the ok to continue from the LS185 Event Manager, I've sent our assessment through, and hopefully we can go again before the Everton game on the 18th, starting at 12 noon.

BM Jon

Post by BM Jon »

After the trial vs Leicester, we've received the ok from Newham Council and LS185 to carry on collecting for Newham Foodbank, subject to any high risk games.

We'll be back at the same location from 12 noon before the Everton game in 2 weeks. We'll put a shout out nearer the time for whatever is needed urgently.

Thanks to all who donated and follow us @IFoodbanks

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

Top work John.

Myself and Geo will see you there, I've also had a couple of requests for details with regard to donating so I've told them what to do.

BM Jon

Post by BM Jon »

Pleased to confirm that we collected approx 150 kg of food and toiletries plus £413.17 before our game vs Leicester.

We and Newham Foodbank wish to thank all the West Ham fan family who helped and donated on the day.

We'll be back in the same location next to the Park Information Centre before the Everton game from 12 noon.

BM Jon

Post by BM Jon »

We're back again tomorrow collecting for Newham Foodbank at the same location, from 12 until 2.30pm.

For those attending the demo, we're only a few minutes walk away on the next bridge so come over and see us. Any effort would be really appreciated. There was an article published yesterday reporting that 49% of Newham households are living in poverty :(

Items needed mostly at this time include UHT milk, fruit juice, tinned meats, tinned fish, custard, toiletries and pet food. Otherwise, please just drop a few bob in the collection bucket.