West Ham Fans banned for selling on away tickets

Chat about anything football related here!
Rumford

Re: West Ham Fans banned for selling on away tickets

Post by Rumford »

You've never bought a ticket off anyone apart from directly from WHUFC mate ?

I would say 99.9 % of our away fans couldn't say that.

Social media again in my eyes...know most who have got banned and all made it easy for the club sadly.

Facebook/ Twitter etc

h69

Post by h69 »

Whiskyman wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:14 am
h69 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:14 am

Of course. I have no issue with stub hub etc but the ticket should stay at 30 quid with maybe a couple of quid admin. I dont think tickets should be traded at market forces pricing. We fought hard to get a cap to stop clubs doing it so we should not allow anyone else to inflate them either.
It's impossible to legislate to incorporate price capping simply because individuals who desperately want something will pay over the odds to get it. The potential buyers are the only people who can control price. If you or I don't want to pay whatever the current going rate is we don't have to. It really is that simple. And of course if enough people took the same view the going rate would magically reduce. The price of anything in relatively limited supply will always be determined by market demand.
Sorry but Utter Rubbish.

Of course it is driven by market demand but how does that suddenly make it impossible to legislate against scalping ?
You can legislate against it by making it illegal to sell a ticket higher than its face value. It wont eradicate it but it will at least drive it underground and reduce it. Stick the name of the ticketholder on the ticket and make them bring ID.

Just because its impossible to completely eliminate it, does not mean it shoudl be made legal and encouraged. There is a difference.

whu

Post by whu »

grandad wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:51 am Maybe they would be better finding the people who got 3 4 5 6 season tickets in season 1 and sell them game to game
there is your issue

if I wanted 20 STs season one, I could have had them, truly

touts saw the coup and swooped in
Fuck Off Sully, Brady, Moyes. Killing this club by death from a thousand cunts.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

h69 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:36 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:14 am

It's impossible to legislate to incorporate price capping simply because individuals who desperately want something will pay over the odds to get it. The potential buyers are the only people who can control price. If you or I don't want to pay whatever the current going rate is we don't have to. It really is that simple. And of course if enough people took the same view the going rate would magically reduce. The price of anything in relatively limited supply will always be determined by market demand.
Sorry but Utter Rubbish.

Of course it is driven by market demand but how does that suddenly make it impossible to legislate against scalping ?
You can legislate against it by making it illegal to sell a ticket higher than its face value. It wont eradicate it but it will at least drive it underground and reduce it. Stick the name of the ticketholder on the ticket and make them bring ID.

Just because its impossible to completely eliminate it, does not mean it shoudl be made legal and encouraged. There is a difference.
Of course it isn't rubbish. To say "real fans", whoever they are, suffer because of touts is nonsense. The people who deprive these real fans of tickets are the organisations like UEFA and our own FA who allocate numerous tickets to organisations with no affiliation to the two clubs participating. The real fans at least have the opportunity to buy a ticket from a tout if they are unable to secure one through normal channels because supply to the clubs has been reduced because of under allocation. 40,000 fans still couldn't all get tickets if there were only 30,000 available no matter how much legislation and red tape was introduced. And as whu has pointed in his post out the club seems to have dropped a massive bollock with it's policy of a ticket free for all when ST's for the LS were first put on sale.

As for driving the business underground, who on earth would benefit from that ? The business would still carry on but it would just be more difficult for people to source tickets they were prepared to pay for. It's been the way of the world since money was invented as a means of exchange that if there is a demand for a product that exceeds supply somebody somewhere will be quite happy to pay over the odds to buy the product, just as it is equally certain that somebody would be prepared to sell to them for a quick profit.

F A Cup final tickets in today's game can now be obtained fairly easily but I remember back in 1980 they were like gold dust. I was offered a sizeable sum, around 6 times face value, for one of my tickets. I didn't sell it, not least because I'd already promised someone they could have it, but I'd be happy to bet there are many who would have been happy to cash in those particular chips.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

prince of wales

Post by prince of wales »

A letter received at Hammers United HQ.this morning.

What are our members talking about?

Closed shop?

It has become apparent that the privilege of purchasing away tickets directly from West Ham United is now reserved for those who currently have that access. Breaking into that group is proving ever more difficult, or costly, and even impossible for some. The privilege of buying from the club is not to be confused with the privilege of attending. Attending those games is certainly still open to those with the desire to do so. The only problem being, you can’t attend in your name. Therefore you can’t give yourself the chance of attending future fixtures in your own name or maybe even claiming a more popular ticket in your own name. Demand is high, supply is often limited and so, perhaps naturally, a ‘black’ market evolves. Those with access to directly purchasing tickets don’t want to lose that access and, in many cases, you can argue that they’ve earned that right. But arguing is not what we should be doing. We need to unite. We can’t blame those who have access to tickets for having that access or blame them for utilising the only existing market place to pass those tickets on when the need arises. They are merely operating within the system as it is today. So who do we blame and how do we then level the proverbial playing field to a point where the black market is not the answer for those who wish to follow over land and sea?

1. Gold, Sullivan and Brady. Away fans have often been vocal critics of these three. Anything that sees divisions arise or that muddies the waters for a vocal travelling support, who might tarnish their reputation, would no doubt be very welcome.

2. The move (see above). More season ticket holders and an experience that just doesn’t compare to Upton Park is going to encourage people to travel to look for that experience.

3. Increased corporate season tickets (see above). These guys can ‘jump the queue’ so to speak. But again, this isn’t their fault. GSB wanted to sell more corporate seats.

4. The gentrification of the premier league in general. ‘Away Day’ culture is arguably a growing movement among those who resist popcorn, clappers and half & half scarves.

5. £30 cap. Offering to buy 4 tickets for your mates then sorting out who goes afterwards certainly takes on a different meaning when it’s £120 coming out of your account and not £280.

6. Relocation. I’m sure there was a time when most West Ham fans lived in the East End and jumped on a bus or walked to Upton Park. These days relocation is easy and common. There are hammers everywhere who would love to do their local Away day.

The priority point system, our bond holders, our away season ticket holders, and even the much maligned ballot are not to blame. Changes to these would merely shift the boundaries. Those who are buying the tickets might buy them at a lower point, but the shop door would remain closed. It’s all relative. ‘Blame’ lies with those who took actions that accelerated demand but haven’t catered for that, not with those who are forced to operate within their system to watch their team away from home.

So to the rub. How to level the playing field. How to ensure that the 3,000 people who want to drive up the M1 on a Wednesday night to watch their team can do so by purchasing a ticket from the club and not from a (some might say) less reliable source. Here lies the problem. Any solution. Any solution that anyone suggests to improve this system cannot be tested. We have no idea if it addresses the issue and then if it fixes the issue. Until the club will tell us where the tickets go, game by game, they hold all the cards. Just the way they like it. So, say we go for less ASTHs. We will still have no idea where all the tickets go. Or we get rid of the ballot. Well, where did they go for Bournemouth; no ballot there. Or we remove the point for certain games. We still don’t know who’s buying them. Unless we can get the club to engage in a discussion on this issue and to take action to inform the fan base we are stuck. Endlessly debating, continually frustrated and relying on a black market where, it has become apparent, we cannot trust the fellow ‘West Ham fan’.

Hammers United Committee is debating what proposals to put forward to the club .We thought it a good idea to post this member’s letter to help us guage our members’ views.-Thanks.

Hammers United Committee
www.hammersunited.com

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

If they own the tickets,they should be able to lend to who they like in reason etc Not West Ham fans.

If they did cause trouble,fair enough,that becomes a different matter.