Oh good, another attacking midfielder(!)

Chat about anything football related here!
Shortshanks

Re: Oh good, another attacking midfielder(!)

Post by Shortshanks »

Noble is completely out of his depth against class midfielders. How much more evidence do you need !! We get completely overrun because of his disastrous lack of pace.

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Well anything to do with Mark Noble is totally irrelevant to this thread which is debating whether or not we need another no.10 and if we do then what is the fucking point in spending the best part of £6m on a kid who won't get a sniff ?
Bring back Jonathon !

hammerman69

Post by hammerman69 »

You need Wingers, Attaching midfielders, Holding midfielders and box to box midfielders.

While you can mess about with how many of each to play in a system, they are mutually exclusive

So we have three wingers : Tore, Feghouli and Antonio
We have 2 holding players : Obiang and Nordveit
We have 2 box to box midfielders : Noble and Kouyate
We have 3 Attacking midfielders : Ayew, Lanzini and Payet

This new kid is in the last group and comparing him to Noble makes no sense. Lanzini is always bloody injured so haiving him in that group makes sesnse.

Also, saying the wingers are there just to bang in crosses to Carroll is unfair. Even if Carroll is not playing, you have to have wingers to force their fullbacks back and attack from the wide areas....thats how we beat Man City last season. The mark of a good side is to be multi dimensional....having width, Attacking midfielders in the centre and box to box players running from deep means it is harder for defenders.

Personally I think that if we get 1 of Bony, Zaza or Remy as well, I will be pretty happy with this window and the squad will be a lot stronger assuming Calleri is as good as everyone says he is (and I am not suggesting he isn't)

Gotta have different options...Sunday showed that having no creativity in the middle is an issue. Last Season showed that without width we struggle also as teams squeeze in on Payet.

Thats my 2p
Last edited by hammerman69 on Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

hamstew

Post by hamstew »

hammerman69 wrote:You need Wingers, Attaching midfielders, Holding midfielders and box to box midfielders.

While you can mess about with how many of each to play in a system, they are mutually exclusive

So we have three wingers : Tore, Feghouli and Ayew

This new kid is in the last group and comparing him to Noble makes no sense. Lanzini is always bloody injured so haiving him in that group makes sesnse.

Also, saying the wingers are there just to bang in crosses to Carroll is unfair. Even if Carroll is not playing, you have to have wingers to force their fullbacks back and attack from the wide areas....thats how we beat Man City last season. The mark of a good side is to be multi dimensional....having width, Attacking midfielders in the centre and box to box players running from deep means it is harder for defenders.

Personally I think that if we get 1 of Bony, Zaza or Remy as well, I will be pretty happy with this window and the squad will be a lot stronger assuming Calleri is as good as everyone says he is (and I am not suggesting he isn't)

Gotta have different options...Sunday showed that having no creativity in the middle is an issue. Last Season showed that without width we struggle also as teams squeeze in on Payet.

Thats my 2p
Do you not consider Antonio as a winger then? Since he played on the wing last game.

hammerman69

Post by hammerman69 »

hamstew wrote:
hammerman69 wrote:You need Wingers, Attaching midfielders, Holding midfielders and box to box midfielders.

So we have three wingers : Tore, Feghouli and Ayew

Thats my 2p
Do you not consider Antonio as a winger then? Since he played on the wing last game.
Yes of course.....Actually it was Antonio I meant at the top not Ayew (who I put in twice)....typo, apologies....I will alter that.

Mikeveep

Post by Mikeveep »

Despite Kayoutes goals, I haven't swerved from the opinion that his best position is holding midfielder..with Noble covering
him.

Mikeveep

Post by Mikeveep »

Shortshanks wrote:Noble is completely out of his depth against class midfielders. How much more evidence do you need !! We get completely overrun because of his disastrous lack of pace.
Quiet,Stewie.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Mikeveep wrote:Despite Kayoutes goals, I haven't swerved from the opinion that his best position is holding midfielder..with Noble covering
him.
Can't agree with that I'm afraid. Kouyate has an excellent engine which, imo, makes him the perfect box to box player. He also has more pace than Noble which in the b2b role is an obvious asset.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Mikeveep

Post by Mikeveep »

Agree with that,but he rarely makes a telling pass at the end of his runs.

Avit

Post by Avit »

1234 wrote:
punkrockhammer wrote:
We have numbers in central midfield
There's only two ginger Peles (sung brightly)