Radical proposals for the reform of English football

Chat about anything football related here!
terrya1965

Re: Radical proposals for the reform of English football

Post by terrya1965 »

h69 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:49 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:46 pm

It has everything to do with it. The point (singular) which appears to be being made was because the "fans" do not "own" the product it cannot be called English. It is the English league because it is played in England. The teams who qualify for European competition represent the English league. The ownership of the clubs which make up the league is irrelevant.
The teams are owned by foreign billionaires. That makes them not English. So for me, the game is certainly not English....it just happens to be played here....for now ! Which stock exchange the clubs or the league's shares are traded on is totally irrelevant.
I'm with Whiskyman on this.

Unfortunately most businesses in this country are owned by foreign companies or at least foreign investment,which I am not a fan of TBH.

The English PL League is what it is..ENGLISH.It is based in this country and attended by the vast majority of people in this country..All the teams are English,so that`s it H.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

h69 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:03 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:52 pm

Already started ? No games have yetr been played abroad. Nor do I think they ever will be. The biggest clubs can secure extra revenues when, which I think eventually will happen, they can negotiate their own TV deals through some sort of PPV system. There will be no point in actually playing the game abroad. Overseas fans will be fed, as they are now, with a diet of pre season tournaments, friendlies and so forth.

14 votes from 20 are needed to change the structure of the PL and, whilst undoubtedly the vested interests of the Liverpools and Manchester Uniteds are different from those of the rest it would be naive to think that the lesser clubs don't also have vested interests and would vote to protect them. Which is why imo it will never happen.
Well we can agree to disagree but when they brought it up there was far less consternation than in Project BP.
I am sure they never thought the NFL games would be played in England either....

You dont need 14 votes to break away with some of the other big clubs in Europe and once that happens and the revenue switches that way, see how many others join them.
No. But the heading on this thread is the reform of English football. Should, and I think it very unlikely, that certain clubs break away to form a European League, or similar, English football would be reduced by that number of clubs but would, presumably, continue in some form or another.

And in any event i believe any closed shop league with no relegation, clearly promotion wouldn't apply should such an elite be formed, I feel sure interest in it, and therefore revenue streams, would soon dry up. Which brings us full circle to why the big clubs want more money. They feel more people pay their subs to watch Liverpool play Manchester City than to watch Burnley v Crystal Palace.

And the equivalent of Burnley v Crystal Palace in a European Super league, say Porto v Arsenal, would soon have no attraction when it became obvious it was merely a fixture to determine who finished 8th or 9th. In the PL in recent seasons the most interest in the final weeks has normally centred on the relegation battle has it not ? Take away that interest and you're left with very little.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

h69

Post by h69 »

Whiskyman wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:18 pm
h69 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:03 pm

Well we can agree to disagree but when they brought it up there was far less consternation than in Project BP.
I am sure they never thought the NFL games would be played in England either....

You dont need 14 votes to break away with some of the other big clubs in Europe and once that happens and the revenue switches that way, see how many others join them.
No. But the heading on this thread is the reform of English football. Should, and I think it very unlikely, that certain clubs break away to form a European League, or similar, English football would be reduced by that number of clubs but would, presumably, continue in some form or another.

And in any event i believe any closed shop league with no relegation, clearly promotion wouldn't apply should such an elite be formed, I feel sure interest in it, and therefore revenue streams, would soon dry up. Which brings us full circle to why the big clubs want more money. They feel more people pay their subs to watch Liverpool play Manchester City than to watch Burnley v Crystal Palace.

And the equivalent of Burnley v Crystal Palace in a European Super league, say Porto v Arsenal, would soon have no attraction when it became obvious it was merely a fixture to determine who finished 8th or 9th. In the PL in recent seasons the most interest in the final weeks has normally centred on the relegation battle has it not ? Take away that interest and you're left with very little.
Well.....I told you so.....

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... tournament

Whats the betting that those sides start fielding weakened sides in the league once they join and the TV money will reduce in the PL while gaining in the European League

At the very least it will mean those in the Euro League will get so rich that our league will be no competition and I would imagine they will end up pissing off.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 15.14.52.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 15.14.52.png (87.68 KiB) Viewed 1536 times
Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 15.11.54.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 15.11.54.png (179.2 KiB) Viewed 1538 times

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

h69 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:54 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:18 pm

Whats the betting that those sides start fielding weakened sides in the league once they join and the TV money will reduce in the PL while gaining in the European League

At the very least it will mean those in the Euro League will get so rich that our league will be no competition and I would imagine they will end up pissing off.
I can’t see it happening tbh , that would be 68 league games a year ?
There’s no WAY they could stay in our league is there ? Unless they play the u23’s in the PL of course
Bring back Jonathon !

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Personally I couldn’t give a fuck if they all fuck off

However the PL should grow some bollocks and give the greedy fuckers an ultimatum ,you fuck off that’s your lot and no way back.

h69

Post by h69 »

Dwayne Pipes wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:57 pm Personally I couldn’t give a fuck if they all fuck off

However the PL should grow some bollocks and give the greedy fuckers an ultimatum ,you fuck off that’s your lot and no way back.
Spot on Dwayne......I feel exactly the same. Greedy American cunts

h69

Post by h69 »

Newmarket wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:32 pm

There’s no WAY they could stay in our league is there ? Unless they play the u23’s in the PL of course
Nope. That is exactly why I can see them getting out of our league. There is so much that is wrong about this proposal. You could see this coming though.

They want more money - Notice Man Utd (not even in the top 2 clubs in England) are leading this with the scousers
They care not about the fans (Most fan groups are dead against it)
They want a European League and an Asian audience
As you rightly point out, how the fuck can they play in this league and the PL ?

SO.

Teams will have to put out reserve sides in the league
All the broadcasters will channel their cash into the European League as that is where the best players will play
So the money will go down for the PL but the money will be massive in the European league
There will be a bigger gap between the Top 6 and the rest
Teams like us and those outside the Top 6 will have less to spend
The Top 6 will be so much richer that there is less chance of anyone breaking through into that league.

So basically it is protectionism.....the Top 6 want the majority of the money and want to make it almost impossible for anyone else to get into that league....which is what that screenshot from Sky actually says.

I would be happy to laugh at the PL as that is what they did to the rest of the league years ago and now the boots on the other foot but if the PL is devalued for the European League it is effectively the end of English football as we know it.

Pure greed but not surprising. They have openly been trying to make the PL smaller, get more votes and now join a super league

Cunts the lot of them.

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

The owners may want this,but the fans certainly won`t.

When the crowds do return,the atmosphere,would be has dead has a doe doe,because there will be hardly any away fans in the ground.It may start off well,but after a few years,it will become a bore to ALL fans.

The likes of Real Madrid and Bayern not winning silverware will soon piss their fans off too.

This is all about one thing,the owners filling their own pockets,so ALL fans must make sure they don't do it.

only1salty

Post by only1salty »

Easy fix.

Make it against the rules to participate in the European league as a member of the Premier League. Only takes 14 votes.

Effectively eject the 5 clubs who will be trying to have the best of both worlds. Note its only 5 so that's Spurs binned from Europe.

This is of course the real reason behind Project Restart. Drop the number of games in the premier league to allow them to take part in 2 leagues simultaneously. ....Oh and lock it all down with some bullshit FFP law aswell and salary caps for the lower league to shut that door.

Think it would be quite good to ditch the money grabbing element and make your own version of project restart. The rich owners can fuck off and we can find an equilibrium where the jump from the divisions is not so big and where competition is dictated by coaching and tactics and not only cash.

50.1% of clubs owned by fans
Cap on ticket prices home and away
Standing for supporters
Kick off times that allow for transport not TV

- Bit like Germany really -

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Newmarket wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:32 pm

But they wouldn't would they ? This so called super league will never happen. Like any league it will become pretty clear after the first few games who the challengers are likely to be. So by the time we get to the 9th or 10th round of games there will be a load of meaningless, irrelevant, fixtures. Because there will be, apparently, no relegation, teams playing in these irrelevant also ran fixtures will be the ones which are weakened, not the ones in the domestic leagues. And do you really see viewers tuning in in their millions to watch Arsenal Reserves take on Olympiacos's second string.?

You can't can you ? Nor can I. And if viewers aren't tuning in why should advertisers pay the broadcasters for prime time ad slots ? Along with millions of other people I'll be tuning in to watch Barca v Real Madrid on Saturday. The same millions would probably tune in to watch it if it was a meaningful European League game instead of a La Liga fixture. Same as Man United v Liverpool, or Bayern v Dortmund,and Inter v Juve. But if those games suddenly became mid table irrelevances there would be a massive drop off in viewer interest.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?