West Ham vs Freiburg Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
eskimo joe

Re: West Ham vs Freiburg Official Match Thread

Post by eskimo joe »

Think it is the champions league in a new format and no second bite at a cherry.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

A slice of humble pie for me thought the Krauts would have been up for it more than that they were fucking dreadful anyhow fair play to us first half thought we played some lovely football tbf
Two goals created were excellent play.
The job was over half time so stepped down a gear second half we were never in danger of fucking this one up.

Onwards and upwards.

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Whiskyman wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:42 am
deanox wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:18 pm A good all-round performance against a team who have been in good form.

Alvarez was immense, Kudos is looking good.

None of them had a bad game so let's hope this momentum will take us into the Wolves game and get a good result.

btw I think that was the best we have played this season.
Idle speculation. Does anyone know if we can recall Downes from his loan during the window ? We all saw how much Alvarez was missed during the shit show last Sunday and Downes is the most obvious replacement for when he is unavailable.
I suspect no, he was partly the resson we got Ward-Prowse

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER »

Dwayne Pipes wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:43 am A slice of humble pie for me thought the Krauts would have been up for it more than that they were fucking dreadful anyhow fair play to us first half thought we played some lovely football tbf
The job was over half time so stepped down a gear second half we were never in danger of fucking this one up.

Onwards and upwards.
Did the krauts have half a dozen first teamers out? I think I heard that somewhere, but I’ve no idea if true.

Already looking forward to the round of 16 clash, whoever that may bring. We’ll get one of:

Third placed CL teams:
Galatasaray
Lens
Braga
Benfica
Feyenoord
AC Milan
Young Boys
Shakhtar Donetsk

Second placed Europa teams:
Freiburg
Marseille
Sparta Prague
Sporting
Toulouse
Rennes
Roma
Qarabag

Some difficult teams, but all are beatable. I’m certainly not shitting myself. Actually, I’d love to get AC somewhere along the line... maybe the final.

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

OZHAMMER wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:26 am
Dwayne Pipes wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:43 am A slice of humble pie for me thought the Krauts would have been up for it more than that they were fucking dreadful anyhow fair play to us first half thought we played some lovely football tbf

Onwards and upwards.
Did the krauts have half a dozen first teamers out? I think I heard that somewhere, but I’ve no idea if true.

Already looking forward to the round of 16 clash, whoever that may bring. We’ll get one of:

Third placed CL teams:
Galatasaray
Lens
Braga
Benfica
Feyenoord
AC Milan
Young Boys
Shakhtar Donetsk

Second placed Europa teams:
Freiburg
Marseille
Sparta Prague
Sporting
Toulouse
Rennes
Roma
Qarabag

Some difficult teams, but all are beatable. I’m certainly not shitting myself. Actually, I’d love to get AC somewhere along the line... maybe the final.
I heard the same, but still wouldnt deminish the way we played last night. We actually showed there is some passing ability amongst us.

Bondsobob

Post by Bondsobob »

eskimo joe wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:22 am
Whiskyman wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:27 am

At the moment the Mickey Mouse winners go into the conference, the F A Cup winners go into the Europa League. Most seasons of course the winners of both domestic pots have already qualified for Europe through league placings anyway.
Yes, but winning the Cabou cup will only get you a place in conference unless you have already qualified for the two upper levels.

Though it was nice to win the CL we should aim at least for the EL and FA cup or league position only gets you that. Or winning the CL which gave us this spot. Imo the aim should always be to qualify via the league if possible, Champions league is way out of our reach atm and will be for some time, but as you have said, this season it would not be impossible to finish in a Europa spot, taking in to account the team that denied us the season before last is shaky.
The Champions league is not way out of our reach if we could actually win the europa league this season. That's the pot (the europa) I think we should be targeting now.
Aim for the stars.

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER »

eskimo joe wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:24 am Think it is the champions league in a new format and no second bite at a cherry.
I just read a bit about the new European club competition format (the Swiss System).

Looks like an absolute cluster-fuck in the making.

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

OZHAMMER wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:19 am
eskimo joe wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:24 am Think it is the champions league in a new format and no second bite at a cherry.
I just read a bit about the new European club competition format (the Swiss System).

Another load of old Cunt Ozzi
Bring back Jonathon !

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

OZHAMMER wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:19 am

Yep, their reasoning behind it is BS as far as im concerned, and working out who plays who is a learning curve. Cant see why they couldnt introduce a new group instead of tampering with a system that works. Can still do away with the second chance though.

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Bondsobob wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:28 pm
eskimo joe wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:22 am

Yes, but winning the Cabou cup will only get you a place in conference unless you have already qualified for the two upper levels.

Though it was nice to win the CL we should aim at least for the EL and FA cup or league position only gets you that. Or winning the CL which gave us this spot. Imo the aim should always be to qualify via the league if possible, Champions league is way out of our reach atm and will be for some time, but as you have said, this season it would not be impossible to finish in a Europa spot, taking in to account the team that denied us the season before last is shaky.
The Champions league is not way out of our reach if we could actually win the europa league this season. That's the pot (the europa) I think we should be targeting now.
Aim for the stars.
Well possible granted, it depends on what team turns up for us, thursdays maybe, the norm then its no chance.