Why Did We Lose To Sheffield?

Chat about anything football related here!

Why did we lose?

Poll ended at Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:47 pm

Sheffield a better team
17%
Moyes tactics
19%
VAR / New Rules
19%
Referee
No votes
Just bad luck
10%
It's grim up North
2%
Fabianski going off
27%
Our players just had an off day
No votes
The gods repaid us for Tevez
4%
Other
2%

Total votes: 52

Newmarket

Re: Why Did We Lose To Sheffield?

Post by Newmarket »

ToneLoc wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:23 pm Moyes is a frustrating character.
As a man he seems an OK bloke.
As a manager he seems to get the fundamentals right.......fitness, work-rate and he’ll generally do good work on the defensive aspects of the game.
But he just hits a creative blank as soon as we get within the attacking third.
He seems unable to join the dots, to find a combination of ideas to link our midfield to our attack.

I don’t know much about Irvine so I’m unaware of his strengths and weaknesses. But it looks to me as though Moyes needs a trusted wing-man who’s a little more attack minded and who can help him join those proverbial dots.

Problem is though is that I don’t think Moyes even wants to address these deficiencies because in his “play not to lose” approach he’ll feel he’s already sufficiently staffed in his coaching team.
Didn’t Irvine relegate West Brom ?
Bring back Jonathon !

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc »

Newmarket wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:43 pm
ToneLoc wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:23 pm Moyes is a frustrating character.
As a man he seems an OK bloke.
As a manager he seems to get the fundamentals right.......fitness, work-rate and he’ll generally do good work on the defensive aspects of the game.
But he just hits a creative blank as soon as we get within the attacking third.
He seems unable to join the dots, to find a combination of ideas to link our midfield to our attack.

I don’t know much about Irvine so I’m unaware of his strengths and weaknesses. But it looks to me as though Moyes needs a trusted wing-man who’s a little more attack minded and who can help him join those proverbial dots.

Problem is though is that I don’t think Moyes even wants to address these deficiencies because in his “play not to lose” approach he’ll feel he’s already sufficiently staffed in his coaching team.
Thanks mate :(
And if my footballing weekend wasn’t already bad enough :lol:
Fancy calling your only son "Barnestoneworth"
He's got another name....
Yeah....."United"

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

ToneLoc wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:48 pm
Newmarket wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:43 pm

Thanks mate :(
And if my footballing weekend wasn’t already bad enough :lol:
No seriously, I don’t know , I as asking you ?

Stats were 22 games in charge 5 w 6 D 11 losses then he was fired but I can’t find out their finishing position that season.
If he didn’t actually take em down he must have contributed to it with stats like that .
Bring back Jonathon !

Hildreth_1101

Post by Hildreth_1101 »

Number of reasons:

Martin's mistake / Fabianksi's injury. Noble played like shit (These two get a pass from me for being West Ham through and through despite not being good enough on the night)

Moyes selection wasn't amazing with Fornals left out even though he's out best attacking player last month or so.

VAR existing and handball rule changing is unfortunate too, also a reason we didn't win.

But you know....what can we do but move forward.

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Hildreth_1101 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:11 pm Number of reasons:

Martin's mistake / Fabianksi's injury. Noble played like shit (These two get a pass from me for being West Ham through and through despite not being good enough on the night)

Moyes selection wasn't amazing with Fornals left out even though he's out best attacking player last month or so.

VAR existing and handball rule changing is unfortunate too, also a reason we didn't win.

Well we could always invest in a couple of central midfielders and a goalkeeper before the Everton game ?

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of fans that “give a pass” to Noble and the other fella cos they’re “West ham through and through” or Alvin’s boy .

What constitutes “West Ham through & through” anyway ?

Would you consider Rice to be West Ham through & through ?
Bring back Jonathon !

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

The reason was missing five decent scoring opportunities

Three tremendous Snodgrass free kicks and Haller strays offside,fumbles a side foot and heads the ball into the turf

Then two really good chances; 1st half Anderson unmarked and with ball under control makes the wrong shot selection and 2nd half Lanzini does the same

Take two out of five and we win regardless of the Martin/Balbuena mix up.

Listening to all the post game fan cams and analysis and you wonder where these people were actually looking

punkrockhammer

Post by punkrockhammer »

Newmarket wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:19 pm

Well we could always invest in a couple of central midfielders and a goalkeeper before the Everton game ?

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of fans that “give a pass” to Noble and the other fella cos they’re “West ham through and through” or Alvin’s boy .

What constitutes “West Ham through & through” anyway ?

Would you consider Rice to be West Ham through & through ?
Mr West Ham used to be on the books at Arsenal

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

(These two get a pass from me for being West Ham through and through despite not being good enough on the night) On the night :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: . Sorry couldn't help myself , West Ham through and through . :lol: :lol:
Moye's selection wasn't amazing - No it was atrocious . ;)
VAR existing and handball rule changing is unfortunate too, also a reason we didn't win. - We lost because we didn't play well enough .

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

BlackDiamond wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:27 pm The reason was missing five decent scoring opportunities

Three tremendous Snodgrass free kicks and Haller strays offside,fumbles a side foot and heads the ball into the turf

Then two really good chances; 1st half Anderson unmarked and with ball under control makes the wrong shot selection and 2nd half Lanzini does the same

Take two out of five and we win regardless of the Martin/Balbuena mix up.

Listening to all the post game fan cams and analysis and you wonder where these people were actually looking
Your right we missed all them chances , they missed quite a few , and Martin even pulled off a save that Fabs would have been proud of , but the big difference is they were good enough to actually score one of theirs . :(

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Newmarket wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:19 pm

How long have you been supporting the club mate. West Ham have always been known for "making allowances" for certain players who aren't up to the job any more.

Even Bonzo, one of my all time favourites, went on too long and ended up a complete shadow of the player I want to remember.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?