Man City banned from European Competition

Chat about anything football related here!
terrya1965

Re: Man City banned from European Competition

Post by terrya1965 »

kingclyde wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:44 pm
terrya1965 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:31 pm

Does it matter who discovered it Frogiron?

Most scandals are normally discovered by Journalists,aren't they?

UEFA will be rubbing their hands together with glee.

Would love it,if City won it this season.Can you imagine the embarrassment of the UEFA President handing them the Trophy. :lol:
It matters Tel because you propose that an independent investigative German publication published details highlighting corruption at Man City, because UEFA hates the Premier League and was pissed off at the success of British football clubs.

If, by your own words, you want a "level field", then why would you want a club who have tried to hide the spending of many millions in order to gain an unfair advantage, to succeed?
I would love a more even playing field.If only Frogiron.

It would take us back to the past,when at the start of the season,we could all have a dream.The dream now is to finish 4th and at the end of the day,that will rarely happen.

kingclyde

Post by kingclyde »

I have yet to see City actually explain why the findings are wrong, or even deny them.
Because they cant
They are unhappy with the sanction. And the process.
But they are not denying what they are accused of.
Which is inflating the value of sponsorship deals from their UaE pals many times over, inventing income that did not exist, so the owners could plough more dosh in to spend on players and gain a unfair advantage over other teams.
Whether anyone thinks that is fair is neither here nor there. It is against the rules.
They are bang to rights and they dont like it.
Any claim of unfairness or prejudice is just smoke and mirrors on their part.
Who found out. How. And why. Is completely irrelevant

kingclyde

Post by kingclyde »

terrya1965 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:09 pm

It matters Tel because you propose that an independent investigative German publication published details highlighting corruption at Man City, because UEFA hates the Premier League and was pissed off at the success of British football clubs.

If, by your own words, you want a "level field", then why would you want a club who have tried to hide the spending of many millions in order to gain an unfair advantage, to succeed?

It would take us back to the past,when at the start of the season,we could all have a dream.The dream now is to finish 4th and at the end of the day,that will rarely happen.
Blimey Tel. When players were earning a working wage. Having a pie and a pint before the game. A couple of fags at half time. When a Testimonial was necessary so they could get a few quid at the end of a long career to buy a pub in Essex. Mate, even then you had rich clubs and poor clubs. There has never been a level field. Never will be. And I wouldn't want one anyway. We may be a low to mid level club, but we are above more than we are below. Who wants a system where Taunton or Accrington earn the same share of revenue as West Ham? 😊

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

When any appeal fails it’ll be interesting to see where the likes of De Bruyne and Aguero end up .

Their not getting any younger and I can see them wanting out .
Bring back Jonathon !

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

terrya1965 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:09 pm

But what's that got to do with UEFA wanting Real Madrid & Barcelona to be in the CL final every year ?
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

normannomates

Post by normannomates »

Total stitch up..
City should refuse to play Madrid.. Fuck Uefa and all the hypocrisy and corruption it entails.
In fact.. Fuck em all

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

normannomates wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:09 am Total stitch up..
City should refuse to play Madrid.. Fuck Uefa and all the hypocrisy and corruption it entails.
In fact.. Fuck em all
And what possible good would that do ? Madrid would go unchallenged to the next round, City would probably be refused entry into European competitions for the foreseeable future, and life would go on without them.

palerider

Post by palerider »

Newmarket wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:29 pm When any appeal fails it’ll be interesting to see where the likes of De Bruyne and Aguero end up .

Their not getting any younger and I can see them wanting out .
I think I know of a rather vertically challenged club owner who'll say he's in negotiations.

;)

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos »

Whiskyman wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:11 pm
Neville Bartos wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:57 pm

Not at all. UEFA have failed to act in any meaningful way to ongoing incidents of 'hooliganism' in Italy, Turkey, Russia and Poland. Violence and racism are routinely ignored.
Other teams have also been found, or have been shown to be, circumventing various spending caps and have received nothing more than a fine.
Do you really believe that UEFA would ignore racist chanting week in week out in English football, ignore stabbings, ignore European fans being advised no to travel to England for their own safety?
FFS. How many incidents, before Heysel, were English fans involved in before any ban was introduced ? Virtually every England international abroad was tarnished by violence in whatever City the match was played in. Eventually UEFA acted, some would say not before time. And of course there is a big difference between violence, however despicable, being committed by Turks and Italians in Turkey and Italy than mayhem being caused by visiting fans, which was the reason English clubs were banned. Put simply violence in Istanbul is unacceptable, but I do not have to go there. Violence in a City where English, or fans of any other nationality , cause havoc is another matter entirely.

I don't know if other clubs have been "shown to be circumventing spending caps" or not. I don't have any evidence of it. Nor, I suspect, do you. Please remember not everything printed in the Sun is fact. ;)
England were never banned from any international competition. In fact no international team has ever been censured in such a way for fan violence.
No continental European club has ever received a ban for fan violence, let alone an indefinite ban, or a national club ban based on the behaviour of one, or even two, clubs fans.

Looking at FFP any number of clubs have received one year European bans for serious breaches. AC Milan, Malaga, Galatasaray, etc. But, funnily enough PSG were spared a ban because UEFA conveniently waited too long before announcing the club warranted further investigation, that's despite a €40m fine and a reduced playing squad for European games.
And literally nothing was done about Spanish clubs receiving state subsidies and aid. No bans. Nothing. That was half a dozen clubs cheating for years with the help of their government. If that's not double standards, what is?
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Neville Bartos wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:17 am
Whiskyman wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:11 pm

FFS. How many incidents, before Heysel, were English fans involved in before any ban was introduced ? Virtually every England international abroad was tarnished by violence in whatever City the match was played in. Eventually UEFA acted, some would say not before time. And of course there is a big difference between violence, however despicable, being committed by Turks and Italians in Turkey and Italy than mayhem being caused by visiting fans, which was the reason English clubs were banned. Put simply violence in Istanbul is unacceptable, but I do not have to go there. Violence in a City where English, or fans of any other nationality , cause havoc is another matter entirely.

I don't know if other clubs have been "shown to be circumventing spending caps" or not. I don't have any evidence of it. Nor, I suspect, do you. Please remember not everything printed in the Sun is fact. ;)
England were never banned from any international competition. In fact no international team has ever been censured in such a way for fan violence.
No continental European club has ever received a ban for fan violence, let alone an indefinite ban, or a national club ban based on the behaviour of one, or even two, clubs fans.

Looking at FFP any number of clubs have received one year European bans for serious breaches. AC Milan, Malaga, Galatasaray, etc. But, funnily enough PSG were spared a ban because UEFA conveniently waited too long before announcing the club warranted further investigation, that's despite a €40m fine and a reduced playing squad for European games.
And literally nothing was done about Spanish clubs receiving state subsidies and aid. No bans. Nothing. That was half a dozen clubs cheating for years with the help of their government. If that's not double standards, what is?
As you well know English clubs were banned from UEFA competitions as a result of Heysel but also, I suspect, because of the historical issues surrounding fan violence involving English clubs and the national team. Again I am guessing but I imagine one of the reasons no other country's clubs have suffered is because where there has been violence it has not been exported. Ironically there was rarely trouble when English clubs or the England team played at home, it was always at away matches the issues occurred.

With regard to FFP most people realise that all it basically does is ensure the small cluster of "elite" clubs will remain elite. However it is enshrined in the rules, not just UEFA rules but the PLs rules, and being "rules" if anyone breaches them they should receive appropriate sanctions.

State subsidies is another matter entirely. Receiving a state subsidy , for any business, is not illegal. So quite how the receipt of such a subsidy is covered by football law I'm damned if I know. But the most publicised of the state subsidies involved Real Madrid some years ago which I believe was something that happened well before the introduction of the FFP ruling so wouldn't have involved involve any "cheating".