England

Chat about anything football related here!
Gonzo

Re: England

Post by Gonzo »

OZHAMMER wrote:
mkhammer wrote:I know a lot of you won't agree,but have some sympathy for the much maligned,
England manager Mike Basset, and think we should just play a simple good old fashioned
4- 4 FUCKIN 2, formation .............
Thanks MK!! I watched a video of this a lifetime ago, and I've been trying to find it for a fair few years now.

The only bits I remember were "we're sticking with the fucking 4-4-2", and the team bus getting lost after their win in the FA Cup (Norwich rings a bell, but I could be wrong?).

I laughed through the whole thing, but I hope it isn't like so many other shows that you watch twenty years later, and it just isn't as funny a generation later.

Whilst managers like Allardyce and Woy are around it will remain funny. Unfortunately it won't seem dated because there has been very little evolution in English coaching during the last 20 years. .. . . . . it will all seem very familiar and relevant.

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

mkhammer wrote:I know a lot of you won't agree,but have some sympathy for the much maligned,
England manager Mike Basset, and think we should just play a simple good old fashioned

Nothing wrong with the 4-4-2 as long as the middle 4 can be diamond shaped with the personnel to match.

One of our biggest problems is we are too scared to lose so in our endeavor not to we achieve nothing. I think manager should be a little more daring with his choices and not always rely on the likes of Rooney etc.His track record in these sort of competitions is hardly impressive,

But who gives one, not i, sick of watching a team picked by the powers to be and the media and not one picked on merit. Need a manager with balls, and we havent had one of those since maybe Venables, which was the last time i didnt mind watching us play.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

OZHAMMER wrote:
Thanks MK!! I watched a video of this a lifetime ago, and I've been trying to find it for a fair few years now.

The only bits I remember were "we're sticking with the fucking 4-4-2", and the team bus getting lost after their win in the FA Cup (Norwich rings a bell, but I could be wrong?).

I laughed through the whole thing, but I hope it isn't like so many other shows that you watch twenty years later, and it just isn't as funny a generation later.
Yes OZ,while ago now,gonna have to watch it again.
Remember him writing his squad on a fag packet and giving it to his secretary to notify players,
when she hands him confirmation later,he looks at it and say's,
"why is there 28 names instead of the 26 I wrote down,and who the hell are Benson and Hedges"
She says,"I notified all the players on the cigarette packet you gave me"
So he slings fag packet back at her and says.
"Where the bloody hell does it say Benson and Hedges on there"
Brilliant.